Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Arms/Hearaldry

  • christelle kelly
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
      While everyone is on the subject of Heraldy........
      I am trying to come up with mine right now and really confused about the
      whole thing. The two art-sci's I am doing are scribal and weaving. I want my
      device to be a pheonix (I know....hard in the SCA, but I have personal
      reasons for wanting it....not just "cause I think it's cool").
      I would like Gold as my metal, and purple and green as my colors.
      Any suggestions or ideas?
      Clarisse

      On 11/8/05, Jeremy Slick <purplellamaboi@...> wrote:

      > Ah. OK...you were trying to define the location of the
      > cat on the device. By default, if there is only one
      > charge, it automatically goes at the center of the
      > shield (which is where the fess point and pale point
      > meet).
      >
      > So yes...your blazon would be: "Per pale vert and
      > azure, a cat sejant Or."
      >
      > And just on a side note, I did a quick (and I do mean
      > QUICK) conflict check...and it looks like this *IS*
      > clear.
      >
      > Until the next time,
      > Giudo di Niccolo
      >
      > --- Tia <teedle77@...> wrote:
      >
      > > AHH I C I though Fess was the location of the cat
      > > Nix the Fess
      > >
      > > so it would be Per pale vert and Azure, a cat Sejant
      > > Or

    • Tia
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
        Woo hoo! I read & re read the submission rules till i was cross eyed
        to be sure it wasnt in conflict! I just hope some one else hasnt
        already registered somethign too Similar....ok back to researching
        my name.....

        Thank you Very Much!
        Tia

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Slick
        <purplellamaboi@y...> wrote:

        > Ah. OK...you were trying to define the location of the
        > cat on the device. By default, if there is only one
        > charge, it automatically goes at the center of the
        > shield (which is where the fess point and pale point
        > meet).
        >
        > So yes...your blazon would be: "Per pale vert and
        > azure, a cat sejant Or."
        >
        > And just on a side note, I did a quick (and I do mean
        > QUICK) conflict check...and it looks like this *IS*
        > clear.
        >
        > Until the next time,
        > Giudo di Niccolo
      • Tia
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
          I picked up a book by sheer Coincidence about 2 years ago before I
          even became interested in SCA that was really helpfull w/ this
          Project

          The Complete Book Of Heraldry By Stephen Slater.

          It gives you all the Colors, Furs, positioning areas etc + a nice
          history of Arms & their Uses

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, mccobalt@c... wrote:

          > Is there a website that explains the colors, descriptions,
          options, etc? It all seems very complex!

          > Fearghus mac Dohmnaill
          > Bright Hills

        • Jeremy Slick
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
            Greetings Fearghus!

            Absolutely!!! The best place to get started with
            trying to understand heraldic terminology is going to
            the SCA College of Heralds Heraldic Primer:
            http://www.sca.org/heraldry/primer/

            It covers the basics of tincture (metal versus color),
            to how to blazon a device, to various types of
            charges.

            Aside from this, I tend to rely a lot on the articles
            that HE Master Modar Neznanich has on his heraldic
            webpage:
            http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/Heraldry2.htm#Book

            If you're interested in learning more about heraldry
            in any variety, hunt down your local herald and have
            them run through things with you. Talk to them about
            what areas of heraldry interest you. And if you can't
            find your local herald, well, there are plenty of
            heralds on this list and others that can help you out
            at any time.

            Until the next time,
            Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunellschi
            Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir

            --- mccobalt@... wrote:

            > Is there a website that explains the colors,
            > descriptions, options, etc? It all seems very
            > complex!
            >
            > Fearghus mac Dohmnaill
            > Bright Hills

            __________________________________
            http://farechase.yahoo.com
          • Jeremy Slick
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
              Greetings Clarisse!

              Interestingly enough, there are only 263 registered
              phoenixes in the ENTIRE Society. That's not that many,
              really. And by asking for purpure and vert, you've
              cleared just about every possible conflict I could
              find; excellent color combination to get around
              conflict, if you ask me.

              Additionally, you'll notice I've stayed away from
              "occupational markers" in this. That's a modern SCA
              concept and is far from period practice. Most people
              did not have symbols of their trade in their PERSONALY
              heraldry. Now, for their shop signs, that's a
              different story.

              So, as for ideas, there are MANY simple devices you
              could look at registering. Have your local herald draw
              up these ideas, and see which one(s) you like:

              Per pale purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
              Per pale vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
              Per fess purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
              Per fess vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
              Per chevron purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
              Per chevron vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
              Per saltire purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
              Per saltire vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
              Gyrrony of six purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
              Gyrrony of six vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
              Barry purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
              Barry vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
              Bendy purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
              Bendy vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
              Lozengy purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
              Lozgeny vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
              Or ermined purpure, a phoenix vert.
              Or ermined vert, a phoenix purpure.
              Or estencelly purpure, a phoenix vert.
              Or estencelly vert, a phoenix purpure.
              Or, a phoenix purpure a bordure vert.
              Or, a phoenix vert a bordure purpure.
              Purpure, on a bezant a phoenix vert.
              Vert, on a bezant a phoenix purpure.
              Purpure, on a lozenge throughout Or, a phoenix vert.
              Vert, on a lozenge throughout Or, a phoenix purpure.

              OK...I'll stop with the ideas for now. *LOL* That
              should give you some idea of where to go from here.

              Until the next time,
              Giudo di Niccolo

              --- christelle kelly <caristel@...> wrote:

              > While everyone is on the subject of Heraldy........
              > I am trying to come up with mine right now and
              > really confused about the whole thing. The two
              > art-sci's I am doing are scribal and weaving. I want
              > my device to be a pheonix (I know....hard in the
              SCA,
              > but I have personal reasons for wanting it....not
              > just "cause I think it's cool").
              > I would like Gold as my metal, and purple and green
              > as my colors.
              > Any suggestions or ideas?
              > Clarisse

              __________________________________
              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                Fearghus mac Dohmnaill wrote:
                > Is there a website that explains the colors, descriptions, options,
                > etc?

                There are several.

                The heraldry section of the main Society webpage
                <http://www.sca.org/heraldry/> has links to quite a few. Just click
                "educational articles". This site is also where you can search the
                Ordinary and Armorial for conflict, and read the Rules of Submission if
                you need to.

                The Wittsend Chained Library
                <http://dragon_azure.tripod.com/education.html> also contains several
                excellent articles, including a basic intro and one on the blazoning of
                animals that contains information I haven't seen anywhere else online.

                Bantairna Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                Kingdom of Ansteorra
                <mailto:Coblaith@...>
              • Jim Engebretson
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                  SCA has a searchable heraldic database. Here are a few links.

                  http://atensubmissions.nexiliscom.com/heraldry/OandA/index.html
                  http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/bruce.html
                  http://www.sca.org.au/rowany/newcomers/heraldry.html

                  Ailill MacDarrach (Gyldenholt, CAID)