Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Arms/Hearaldry

  • mccobalt@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
      Is there a website that explains the colors, descriptions, options, etc? It all seems very complex!

      Fearghus mac Dohmnaill
      Bright Hills

    • Tia
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Tia" <teedle77@y...> wrote:

        > AHH I C I though Fess was the location of the cat, Nix the Fess.
        >
        > so it would be Per pale vert and Azure, a cat Sejant Or.

        > Sorry hit send & wasnt done.
        Thank you Very much for your help!

        > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Slick
        > <purplellamaboi@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > So we've got the field divided in half vertically, the
        > > left half green, the right hald blue...over this we
        > > have a horizontal bar with a sitting cat on it (though
        > > is it the bar or the cat that is gold...and what color
        > > is the other to be?)....Right?
        > >
        > > Based on this, we have the blazon so far of:
        > >
        > > Per pale vert and azure, on a fess (insert tincture) a
        > > cat sejant (insert tincture).
        > >
        > > Now, I will point out that the fess will more than
        > > likely be the "Or" (or gold)...and the cat will need
        > > to be a color (vert, sable, gules, purpure, or
        > > azure)...so that we don't have color-on-color action
        > > going on.
        > >
        > > Until the next time,
        > > Giudo di Niccolo
        > > [[who's name and device just passed]]

      • Jeremy Slick
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
          Ah. OK...you were trying to define the location of the
          cat on the device. By default, if there is only one
          charge, it automatically goes at the center of the
          shield (which is where the fess point and pale point
          meet).

          So yes...your blazon would be: "Per pale vert and
          azure, a cat sejant Or."

          And just on a side note, I did a quick (and I do mean
          QUICK) conflict check...and it looks like this *IS*
          clear.

          Until the next time,
          Giudo di Niccolo

          --- Tia <teedle77@...> wrote:

          > AHH I C I though Fess was the location of the cat
          > Nix the Fess
          >
          > so it would be Per pale vert and Azure, a cat Sejant
          > Or

          __________________________________
          http://farechase.yahoo.com
        • christelle kelly
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
            While everyone is on the subject of Heraldy........
            I am trying to come up with mine right now and really confused about the
            whole thing. The two art-sci's I am doing are scribal and weaving. I want my
            device to be a pheonix (I know....hard in the SCA, but I have personal
            reasons for wanting it....not just "cause I think it's cool").
            I would like Gold as my metal, and purple and green as my colors.
            Any suggestions or ideas?
            Clarisse

            On 11/8/05, Jeremy Slick <purplellamaboi@...> wrote:

            > Ah. OK...you were trying to define the location of the
            > cat on the device. By default, if there is only one
            > charge, it automatically goes at the center of the
            > shield (which is where the fess point and pale point
            > meet).
            >
            > So yes...your blazon would be: "Per pale vert and
            > azure, a cat sejant Or."
            >
            > And just on a side note, I did a quick (and I do mean
            > QUICK) conflict check...and it looks like this *IS*
            > clear.
            >
            > Until the next time,
            > Giudo di Niccolo
            >
            > --- Tia <teedle77@...> wrote:
            >
            > > AHH I C I though Fess was the location of the cat
            > > Nix the Fess
            > >
            > > so it would be Per pale vert and Azure, a cat Sejant
            > > Or

          • Tia
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
              Woo hoo! I read & re read the submission rules till i was cross eyed
              to be sure it wasnt in conflict! I just hope some one else hasnt
              already registered somethign too Similar....ok back to researching
              my name.....

              Thank you Very Much!
              Tia

              <purplellamaboi@y...> wrote:

              > Ah. OK...you were trying to define the location of the
              > cat on the device. By default, if there is only one
              > charge, it automatically goes at the center of the
              > shield (which is where the fess point and pale point
              > meet).
              >
              > So yes...your blazon would be: "Per pale vert and
              > azure, a cat sejant Or."
              >
              > And just on a side note, I did a quick (and I do mean
              > QUICK) conflict check...and it looks like this *IS*
              > clear.
              >
              > Until the next time,
              > Giudo di Niccolo
            • Tia
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                I picked up a book by sheer Coincidence about 2 years ago before I
                even became interested in SCA that was really helpfull w/ this
                Project

                The Complete Book Of Heraldry By Stephen Slater.

                It gives you all the Colors, Furs, positioning areas etc + a nice
                history of Arms & their Uses

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, mccobalt@c... wrote:

                > Is there a website that explains the colors, descriptions,
                options, etc? It all seems very complex!

                > Fearghus mac Dohmnaill
                > Bright Hills

              • Jeremy Slick
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                  Greetings Fearghus!

                  Absolutely!!! The best place to get started with
                  trying to understand heraldic terminology is going to
                  the SCA College of Heralds Heraldic Primer:
                  http://www.sca.org/heraldry/primer/

                  It covers the basics of tincture (metal versus color),
                  to how to blazon a device, to various types of
                  charges.

                  Aside from this, I tend to rely a lot on the articles
                  that HE Master Modar Neznanich has on his heraldic
                  webpage:
                  http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/Heraldry2.htm#Book

                  If you're interested in learning more about heraldry
                  in any variety, hunt down your local herald and have
                  them run through things with you. Talk to them about
                  what areas of heraldry interest you. And if you can't
                  find your local herald, well, there are plenty of
                  heralds on this list and others that can help you out
                  at any time.

                  Until the next time,
                  Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunellschi
                  Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir

                  --- mccobalt@... wrote:

                  > Is there a website that explains the colors,
                  > descriptions, options, etc? It all seems very
                  > complex!
                  >
                  > Fearghus mac Dohmnaill
                  > Bright Hills

                  __________________________________
                  http://farechase.yahoo.com
                • Jeremy Slick
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                    Greetings Clarisse!

                    Interestingly enough, there are only 263 registered
                    phoenixes in the ENTIRE Society. That's not that many,
                    really. And by asking for purpure and vert, you've
                    cleared just about every possible conflict I could
                    find; excellent color combination to get around
                    conflict, if you ask me.

                    Additionally, you'll notice I've stayed away from
                    "occupational markers" in this. That's a modern SCA
                    concept and is far from period practice. Most people
                    did not have symbols of their trade in their PERSONALY
                    heraldry. Now, for their shop signs, that's a
                    different story.

                    So, as for ideas, there are MANY simple devices you
                    could look at registering. Have your local herald draw
                    up these ideas, and see which one(s) you like:

                    Per pale purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                    Per pale vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                    Per fess purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                    Per fess vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                    Per chevron purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                    Per chevron vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                    Per saltire purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                    Per saltire vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                    Gyrrony of six purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                    Gyrrony of six vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                    Barry purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                    Barry vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                    Bendy purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                    Bendy vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                    Lozengy purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                    Lozgeny vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                    Or ermined purpure, a phoenix vert.
                    Or ermined vert, a phoenix purpure.
                    Or estencelly purpure, a phoenix vert.
                    Or estencelly vert, a phoenix purpure.
                    Or, a phoenix purpure a bordure vert.
                    Or, a phoenix vert a bordure purpure.
                    Purpure, on a bezant a phoenix vert.
                    Vert, on a bezant a phoenix purpure.
                    Purpure, on a lozenge throughout Or, a phoenix vert.
                    Vert, on a lozenge throughout Or, a phoenix purpure.

                    OK...I'll stop with the ideas for now. *LOL* That
                    should give you some idea of where to go from here.

                    Until the next time,
                    Giudo di Niccolo

                    --- christelle kelly <caristel@...> wrote:

                    > While everyone is on the subject of Heraldy........
                    > I am trying to come up with mine right now and
                    > really confused about the whole thing. The two
                    > art-sci's I am doing are scribal and weaving. I want
                    > my device to be a pheonix (I know....hard in the
                    SCA,
                    > but I have personal reasons for wanting it....not
                    > just "cause I think it's cool").
                    > I would like Gold as my metal, and purple and green
                    > as my colors.
                    > Any suggestions or ideas?
                    > Clarisse

                    __________________________________
                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                      Fearghus mac Dohmnaill wrote:
                      > Is there a website that explains the colors, descriptions, options,
                      > etc?

                      There are several.

                      The heraldry section of the main Society webpage
                      <http://www.sca.org/heraldry/> has links to quite a few. Just click
                      "educational articles". This site is also where you can search the
                      Ordinary and Armorial for conflict, and read the Rules of Submission if
                      you need to.

                      The Wittsend Chained Library
                      <http://dragon_azure.tripod.com/education.html> also contains several
                      excellent articles, including a basic intro and one on the blazoning of
                      animals that contains information I haven't seen anywhere else online.

                      Bantairna Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                      Kingdom of Ansteorra
                      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                    • Jim Engebretson
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                        SCA has a searchable heraldic database. Here are a few links.

                        http://atensubmissions.nexiliscom.com/heraldry/OandA/index.html
                        http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/bruce.html
                        http://www.sca.org.au/rowany/newcomers/heraldry.html

                        Ailill MacDarrach (Gyldenholt, CAID)