Re: [SCA Newcomers] Arms/Hearaldry

  • Jeremy Slick
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
      Did I hear someone summon a herald?

      Giudo di Niccolo
      Deodar Pursuivant
      [[one of those heraldic geeky types]]

      --- Tia <teedle77@...> wrote:

      > Does any one here know how to word Blazoning for an
      > Arms Submittal?

      __________________________________
      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Tia
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
        *pouncesonheraldtypewithglee*

        Yes I did My Lord
        I am workign on my arms Submittal & need help in Blazoning.
        so Far what I have is: I think I have it in the right order ;-)
        Field: Party per Pale, Dexter Vert, Sinister Pale Azure,with Fess
        Cat Sejant in Or

        Does that make sense?

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Slick
        <purplellamaboi@y...> wrote:

        > Did I hear someone summon a herald?
        >
        > Giudo di Niccolo
        > Deodar Pursuivant
        > [[one of those heraldic geeky types]]
        >

        > --- Tia <teedle77@y...> wrote:
        >
        > > Does any one here know how to word Blazoning for an
        > > Arms Submittal?
        >

        > __________________________________
        > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

      • Jeremy Slick
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
          So we've got the field divided in half vertically, the
          left half green, the right hald blue...over this we
          have a horizontal bar with a sitting cat on it (though
          is it the bar or the cat that is gold...and what color
          is the other to be?)....Right?

          Based on this, we have the blazon so far of:

          Per pale vert and azure, on a fess (insert tincture) a
          cat sejant (insert tincture).

          Now, I will point out that the fess will more than
          likely be the "Or" (or gold)...and the cat will need
          to be a color (vert, sable, gules, purpure, or
          azure)...so that we don't have color-on-color action
          going on.

          Until the next time,
          Giudo di Niccolo
          [[who's name and device just passed]]

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
            Is there a website that explains the colors, descriptions, options, etc? It all seems very complex!

            Fearghus mac Dohmnaill
            Bright Hills

          • Tia
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
              AHH I C I though Fess was the location of the cat Nix the Fess

              so it would be Per pale vert and Azure, a cat Sejant Or

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Tia" <teedle77@y...> wrote:

                > AHH I C I though Fess was the location of the cat, Nix the Fess.
                >
                > so it would be Per pale vert and Azure, a cat Sejant Or.

                > Sorry hit send & wasnt done.
                Thank you Very much for your help!

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                  Ah. OK...you were trying to define the location of the
                  cat on the device. By default, if there is only one
                  charge, it automatically goes at the center of the
                  shield (which is where the fess point and pale point
                  meet).

                  So yes...your blazon would be: "Per pale vert and
                  azure, a cat sejant Or."

                  And just on a side note, I did a quick (and I do mean
                  QUICK) conflict check...and it looks like this *IS*
                  clear.

                  Until the next time,
                  Giudo di Niccolo

                  --- Tia <teedle77@...> wrote:

                  > AHH I C I though Fess was the location of the cat
                  > Nix the Fess
                  >
                  > so it would be Per pale vert and Azure, a cat Sejant
                  > Or

                  __________________________________
                  http://farechase.yahoo.com
                • christelle kelly
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                    While everyone is on the subject of Heraldy........
                    I am trying to come up with mine right now and really confused about the
                    whole thing. The two art-sci's I am doing are scribal and weaving. I want my
                    device to be a pheonix (I know....hard in the SCA, but I have personal
                    reasons for wanting it....not just "cause I think it's cool").
                    I would like Gold as my metal, and purple and green as my colors.
                    Any suggestions or ideas?
                    Clarisse

                    On 11/8/05, Jeremy Slick <purplellamaboi@...> wrote:

                    > Ah. OK...you were trying to define the location of the
                    > cat on the device. By default, if there is only one
                    > charge, it automatically goes at the center of the
                    > shield (which is where the fess point and pale point
                    > meet).
                    >
                    > So yes...your blazon would be: "Per pale vert and
                    > azure, a cat sejant Or."
                    >
                    > And just on a side note, I did a quick (and I do mean
                    > QUICK) conflict check...and it looks like this *IS*
                    > clear.
                    >
                    > Until the next time,
                    > Giudo di Niccolo
                    >
                    > --- Tia <teedle77@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > AHH I C I though Fess was the location of the cat
                    > > Nix the Fess
                    > >
                    > > so it would be Per pale vert and Azure, a cat Sejant
                    > > Or

                  • Tia
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                      Woo hoo! I read & re read the submission rules till i was cross eyed
                      to be sure it wasnt in conflict! I just hope some one else hasnt
                      already registered somethign too Similar....ok back to researching
                      my name.....

                      Thank you Very Much!
                      Tia

                      <purplellamaboi@y...> wrote:

                      > Ah. OK...you were trying to define the location of the
                      > cat on the device. By default, if there is only one
                      > charge, it automatically goes at the center of the
                      > shield (which is where the fess point and pale point
                      > meet).
                      >
                      > So yes...your blazon would be: "Per pale vert and
                      > azure, a cat sejant Or."
                      >
                      > And just on a side note, I did a quick (and I do mean
                      > QUICK) conflict check...and it looks like this *IS*
                      > clear.
                      >
                      > Until the next time,
                      > Giudo di Niccolo
                    • Tia
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                        I picked up a book by sheer Coincidence about 2 years ago before I
                        even became interested in SCA that was really helpfull w/ this
                        Project

                        The Complete Book Of Heraldry By Stephen Slater.

                        It gives you all the Colors, Furs, positioning areas etc + a nice
                        history of Arms & their Uses

                        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, mccobalt@c... wrote:

                        > Is there a website that explains the colors, descriptions,
                        options, etc? It all seems very complex!

                        > Fearghus mac Dohmnaill
                        > Bright Hills

                      • Jeremy Slick
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                          Greetings Fearghus!

                          Absolutely!!! The best place to get started with
                          trying to understand heraldic terminology is going to
                          the SCA College of Heralds Heraldic Primer:
                          http://www.sca.org/heraldry/primer/

                          It covers the basics of tincture (metal versus color),
                          to how to blazon a device, to various types of
                          charges.

                          Aside from this, I tend to rely a lot on the articles
                          that HE Master Modar Neznanich has on his heraldic
                          webpage:
                          http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/Heraldry2.htm#Book

                          If you're interested in learning more about heraldry
                          in any variety, hunt down your local herald and have
                          them run through things with you. Talk to them about
                          what areas of heraldry interest you. And if you can't
                          find your local herald, well, there are plenty of
                          heralds on this list and others that can help you out
                          at any time.

                          Until the next time,
                          Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunellschi
                          Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir

                          --- mccobalt@... wrote:

                          > Is there a website that explains the colors,
                          > descriptions, options, etc? It all seems very
                          > complex!
                          >
                          > Fearghus mac Dohmnaill
                          > Bright Hills

                          __________________________________
                          http://farechase.yahoo.com
                        • Jeremy Slick
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                            Greetings Clarisse!

                            Interestingly enough, there are only 263 registered
                            phoenixes in the ENTIRE Society. That's not that many,
                            really. And by asking for purpure and vert, you've
                            cleared just about every possible conflict I could
                            find; excellent color combination to get around
                            conflict, if you ask me.

                            Additionally, you'll notice I've stayed away from
                            "occupational markers" in this. That's a modern SCA
                            concept and is far from period practice. Most people
                            did not have symbols of their trade in their PERSONALY
                            heraldry. Now, for their shop signs, that's a
                            different story.

                            So, as for ideas, there are MANY simple devices you
                            could look at registering. Have your local herald draw
                            up these ideas, and see which one(s) you like:

                            Per pale purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                            Per pale vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                            Per fess purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                            Per fess vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                            Per chevron purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                            Per chevron vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                            Per saltire purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                            Per saltire vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                            Gyrrony of six purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                            Gyrrony of six vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                            Barry purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                            Barry vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                            Bendy purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                            Bendy vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                            Lozengy purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                            Lozgeny vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                            Or ermined purpure, a phoenix vert.
                            Or ermined vert, a phoenix purpure.
                            Or estencelly purpure, a phoenix vert.
                            Or estencelly vert, a phoenix purpure.
                            Or, a phoenix purpure a bordure vert.
                            Or, a phoenix vert a bordure purpure.
                            Purpure, on a bezant a phoenix vert.
                            Vert, on a bezant a phoenix purpure.
                            Purpure, on a lozenge throughout Or, a phoenix vert.
                            Vert, on a lozenge throughout Or, a phoenix purpure.

                            OK...I'll stop with the ideas for now. *LOL* That
                            should give you some idea of where to go from here.

                            Until the next time,
                            Giudo di Niccolo

                            --- christelle kelly <caristel@...> wrote:

                            > While everyone is on the subject of Heraldy........
                            > I am trying to come up with mine right now and
                            > really confused about the whole thing. The two
                            > art-sci's I am doing are scribal and weaving. I want
                            > my device to be a pheonix (I know....hard in the
                            SCA,
                            > but I have personal reasons for wanting it....not
                            > just "cause I think it's cool").
                            > I would like Gold as my metal, and purple and green
                            > as my colors.
                            > Any suggestions or ideas?
                            > Clarisse

                            __________________________________
                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                          • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                              Fearghus mac Dohmnaill wrote:
                              > Is there a website that explains the colors, descriptions, options,
                              > etc?

                              There are several.

                              The heraldry section of the main Society webpage
                              <http://www.sca.org/heraldry/> has links to quite a few. Just click
                              "educational articles". This site is also where you can search the
                              Ordinary and Armorial for conflict, and read the Rules of Submission if
                              you need to.

                              The Wittsend Chained Library
                              <http://dragon_azure.tripod.com/education.html> also contains several
                              excellent articles, including a basic intro and one on the blazoning of
                              animals that contains information I haven't seen anywhere else online.

                              Bantairna Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                              Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                              Kingdom of Ansteorra
                              <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                            • Jim Engebretson
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                                SCA has a searchable heraldic database. Here are a few links.

                                http://atensubmissions.nexiliscom.com/heraldry/OandA/index.html
                                http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/bruce.html
                                http://www.sca.org.au/rowany/newcomers/heraldry.html

                                Ailill MacDarrach (Gyldenholt, CAID)