Arms/Hearaldry

  • Tia
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
      Does any one here know how to word Blazoning for an Arms Submittal?
    • Jeremy Slick
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
        Did I hear someone summon a herald?

        Giudo di Niccolo
        Deodar Pursuivant
        [[one of those heraldic geeky types]]

        --- Tia <teedle77@...> wrote:

        > Does any one here know how to word Blazoning for an
        > Arms Submittal?

        __________________________________
        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Tia
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
          *pouncesonheraldtypewithglee*

          Yes I did My Lord
          I am workign on my arms Submittal & need help in Blazoning.
          so Far what I have is: I think I have it in the right order ;-)
          Field: Party per Pale, Dexter Vert, Sinister Pale Azure,with Fess
          Cat Sejant in Or

          Does that make sense?

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Slick
          <purplellamaboi@y...> wrote:

          > Did I hear someone summon a herald?
          >
          > Giudo di Niccolo
          > Deodar Pursuivant
          > [[one of those heraldic geeky types]]
          >

          > --- Tia <teedle77@y...> wrote:
          >
          > > Does any one here know how to word Blazoning for an
          > > Arms Submittal?
          >

          > __________________________________
          > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

        • Jeremy Slick
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
            So we've got the field divided in half vertically, the
            left half green, the right hald blue...over this we
            have a horizontal bar with a sitting cat on it (though
            is it the bar or the cat that is gold...and what color
            is the other to be?)....Right?

            Based on this, we have the blazon so far of:

            Per pale vert and azure, on a fess (insert tincture) a
            cat sejant (insert tincture).

            Now, I will point out that the fess will more than
            likely be the "Or" (or gold)...and the cat will need
            to be a color (vert, sable, gules, purpure, or
            azure)...so that we don't have color-on-color action
            going on.

            Until the next time,
            Giudo di Niccolo
            [[who's name and device just passed]]

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
              Is there a website that explains the colors, descriptions, options, etc? It all seems very complex!

              Fearghus mac Dohmnaill
              Bright Hills

            • Tia
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                AHH I C I though Fess was the location of the cat Nix the Fess

                so it would be Per pale vert and Azure, a cat Sejant Or

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Tia" <teedle77@y...> wrote:

                  > AHH I C I though Fess was the location of the cat, Nix the Fess.
                  >
                  > so it would be Per pale vert and Azure, a cat Sejant Or.

                  > Sorry hit send & wasnt done.
                  Thank you Very much for your help!

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                    Ah. OK...you were trying to define the location of the
                    cat on the device. By default, if there is only one
                    charge, it automatically goes at the center of the
                    shield (which is where the fess point and pale point
                    meet).

                    So yes...your blazon would be: "Per pale vert and
                    azure, a cat sejant Or."

                    And just on a side note, I did a quick (and I do mean
                    QUICK) conflict check...and it looks like this *IS*
                    clear.

                    Until the next time,
                    Giudo di Niccolo

                    --- Tia <teedle77@...> wrote:

                    > AHH I C I though Fess was the location of the cat
                    > Nix the Fess
                    >
                    > so it would be Per pale vert and Azure, a cat Sejant
                    > Or

                    __________________________________
                    http://farechase.yahoo.com
                  • christelle kelly
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                      While everyone is on the subject of Heraldy........
                      I am trying to come up with mine right now and really confused about the
                      whole thing. The two art-sci's I am doing are scribal and weaving. I want my
                      device to be a pheonix (I know....hard in the SCA, but I have personal
                      reasons for wanting it....not just "cause I think it's cool").
                      I would like Gold as my metal, and purple and green as my colors.
                      Any suggestions or ideas?
                      Clarisse

                      On 11/8/05, Jeremy Slick <purplellamaboi@...> wrote:

                      > Ah. OK...you were trying to define the location of the
                      > cat on the device. By default, if there is only one
                      > charge, it automatically goes at the center of the
                      > shield (which is where the fess point and pale point
                      > meet).
                      >
                      > So yes...your blazon would be: "Per pale vert and
                      > azure, a cat sejant Or."
                      >
                      > And just on a side note, I did a quick (and I do mean
                      > QUICK) conflict check...and it looks like this *IS*
                      > clear.
                      >
                      > Until the next time,
                      > Giudo di Niccolo
                      >
                      > --- Tia <teedle77@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > AHH I C I though Fess was the location of the cat
                      > > Nix the Fess
                      > >
                      > > so it would be Per pale vert and Azure, a cat Sejant
                      > > Or

                    • Tia
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                        Woo hoo! I read & re read the submission rules till i was cross eyed
                        to be sure it wasnt in conflict! I just hope some one else hasnt
                        already registered somethign too Similar....ok back to researching
                        my name.....

                        Thank you Very Much!
                        Tia

                        <purplellamaboi@y...> wrote:

                        > Ah. OK...you were trying to define the location of the
                        > cat on the device. By default, if there is only one
                        > charge, it automatically goes at the center of the
                        > shield (which is where the fess point and pale point
                        > meet).
                        >
                        > So yes...your blazon would be: "Per pale vert and
                        > azure, a cat sejant Or."
                        >
                        > And just on a side note, I did a quick (and I do mean
                        > QUICK) conflict check...and it looks like this *IS*
                        > clear.
                        >
                        > Until the next time,
                        > Giudo di Niccolo
                      • Tia
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                          I picked up a book by sheer Coincidence about 2 years ago before I
                          even became interested in SCA that was really helpfull w/ this
                          Project

                          The Complete Book Of Heraldry By Stephen Slater.

                          It gives you all the Colors, Furs, positioning areas etc + a nice
                          history of Arms & their Uses

                          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, mccobalt@c... wrote:

                          > Is there a website that explains the colors, descriptions,
                          options, etc? It all seems very complex!

                          > Fearghus mac Dohmnaill
                          > Bright Hills

                        • Jeremy Slick
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                            Greetings Fearghus!

                            Absolutely!!! The best place to get started with
                            trying to understand heraldic terminology is going to
                            the SCA College of Heralds Heraldic Primer:
                            http://www.sca.org/heraldry/primer/

                            It covers the basics of tincture (metal versus color),
                            to how to blazon a device, to various types of
                            charges.

                            Aside from this, I tend to rely a lot on the articles
                            that HE Master Modar Neznanich has on his heraldic
                            webpage:
                            http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/Heraldry2.htm#Book

                            If you're interested in learning more about heraldry
                            in any variety, hunt down your local herald and have
                            them run through things with you. Talk to them about
                            what areas of heraldry interest you. And if you can't
                            find your local herald, well, there are plenty of
                            heralds on this list and others that can help you out
                            at any time.

                            Until the next time,
                            Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunellschi
                            Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir

                            --- mccobalt@... wrote:

                            > Is there a website that explains the colors,
                            > descriptions, options, etc? It all seems very
                            > complex!
                            >
                            > Fearghus mac Dohmnaill
                            > Bright Hills

                            __________________________________
                            http://farechase.yahoo.com
                          • Jeremy Slick
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                              Greetings Clarisse!

                              Interestingly enough, there are only 263 registered
                              phoenixes in the ENTIRE Society. That's not that many,
                              really. And by asking for purpure and vert, you've
                              cleared just about every possible conflict I could
                              find; excellent color combination to get around
                              conflict, if you ask me.

                              Additionally, you'll notice I've stayed away from
                              "occupational markers" in this. That's a modern SCA
                              concept and is far from period practice. Most people
                              did not have symbols of their trade in their PERSONALY
                              heraldry. Now, for their shop signs, that's a
                              different story.

                              So, as for ideas, there are MANY simple devices you
                              could look at registering. Have your local herald draw
                              up these ideas, and see which one(s) you like:

                              Per pale purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                              Per pale vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                              Per fess purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                              Per fess vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                              Per chevron purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                              Per chevron vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                              Per saltire purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                              Per saltire vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                              Gyrrony of six purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                              Gyrrony of six vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                              Barry purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                              Barry vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                              Bendy purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                              Bendy vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                              Lozengy purpure and vert, a phoenix Or.
                              Lozgeny vert and purpure, a phoenix Or.
                              Or ermined purpure, a phoenix vert.
                              Or ermined vert, a phoenix purpure.
                              Or estencelly purpure, a phoenix vert.
                              Or estencelly vert, a phoenix purpure.
                              Or, a phoenix purpure a bordure vert.
                              Or, a phoenix vert a bordure purpure.
                              Purpure, on a bezant a phoenix vert.
                              Vert, on a bezant a phoenix purpure.
                              Purpure, on a lozenge throughout Or, a phoenix vert.
                              Vert, on a lozenge throughout Or, a phoenix purpure.

                              OK...I'll stop with the ideas for now. *LOL* That
                              should give you some idea of where to go from here.

                              Until the next time,
                              Giudo di Niccolo

                              --- christelle kelly <caristel@...> wrote:

                              > While everyone is on the subject of Heraldy........
                              > I am trying to come up with mine right now and
                              > really confused about the whole thing. The two
                              > art-sci's I am doing are scribal and weaving. I want
                              > my device to be a pheonix (I know....hard in the
                              SCA,
                              > but I have personal reasons for wanting it....not
                              > just "cause I think it's cool").
                              > I would like Gold as my metal, and purple and green
                              > as my colors.
                              > Any suggestions or ideas?
                              > Clarisse

                              __________________________________
                              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                            • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                                Fearghus mac Dohmnaill wrote:
                                > Is there a website that explains the colors, descriptions, options,
                                > etc?

                                There are several.

                                The heraldry section of the main Society webpage
                                <http://www.sca.org/heraldry/> has links to quite a few. Just click
                                "educational articles". This site is also where you can search the
                                Ordinary and Armorial for conflict, and read the Rules of Submission if
                                you need to.

                                The Wittsend Chained Library
                                <http://dragon_azure.tripod.com/education.html> also contains several
                                excellent articles, including a basic intro and one on the blazoning of
                                animals that contains information I haven't seen anywhere else online.

                                Bantairna Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                                Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                                Kingdom of Ansteorra
                                <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                              • Jim Engebretson
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 8, 2005
                                  SCA has a searchable heraldic database. Here are a few links.

                                  http://atensubmissions.nexiliscom.com/heraldry/OandA/index.html
                                  http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/bruce.html
                                  http://www.sca.org.au/rowany/newcomers/heraldry.html

                                  Ailill MacDarrach (Gyldenholt, CAID)