Re: [SCA Newcomers] I found a place online where people chat about everthing SCA

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2005
      On Monday 31 October 2005 18:26, Dave & Megan Anhorn wrote:
      > Another good reason to get mirc or ircle or whatever irc program you choose
      > to visit undernet #SCA. I do know from personal experience that they are a
      > good bunch, but like I said, I just sort of fell out of the habit of going
      > there as it isn't the irc network I frequent.

      I'm not knocking the #SCA channel on IRC. It's the link farm web site that
      concerns me. Those tend to be data traps for spammers to gather information.
      Link farms basically serve two purposes, one of which is to gather info for
      the likes of spammers. The other is to "game" the search engines by skewing
      the number of links that point to their "partner" web sites, thereby driving
      commercial traffic there.

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
        On Tuesday 01 November 2005 16:31, [REDACTED] wrote:
        > do you know about IRC Search Engines? Place to find public Chat rooms
        >
        > in the specified page you get Chat Rooms starting with #SCA* in the
        > network Undernet, the topic or the h1 title says it clear.
        >
        > try http://gogloom.com/search?q=%23sca
        >
        > you'll get chat rooms that fits on the query #sca
        >
        > not a link farm web site
        >
        > Another link farm http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%23sca

        I stand corrected. I didn't happen to notice that this thing searched *only*
        IRC. I deal with so darned many link farm annoyances in my mundane job that
        at first glance this site looked like another one of them. It appears it's
        okay, and I apologize for doubting so.

        keys fesswise reversed sable.