Re: [SCA Newcomers] Assistance for your newest member

  • Sydney Walker Freedman
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2005
      > My lords and ladies of the SCA, greetings from the village of
      > Ffosyffin in the county of Ceredigion and following advice from one of
      > the commitee of the SCA in Wales have decided to take the plunge and
      > join the SCA in full, which poses a question and one that I hope that
      > this group (and the other SCA in Wales group I have joined will be
      > able to answer).
      >
      > Name: Harry Hayfield, Location: Ffosyffin, Ceredigion, Wales, Primary
      > Interests: Astronomy, International Affairs, Strength Atheltics
      > (that's strongman events to everyone else) and climate
      >
      > What's a good SCA name for me then?

      That depends on your persona. So, if you know what time period you are
      from, where you would have lived, what language you would have spoken,
      etc., you pick a name that fits. For example, I am a late 12th century
      Anglo-Norman, and my name is Cecilia de Cambrige (both the first name
      [Cecilia] and the byname [de Cambrige] have documentation from England in
      the year 1182, and the same or variant forms have been documented in
      surrounding years). A good place to look around is the Medieval Names
      Archive. I don't remember the website off hand, but if you type "Medieval
      Names Archive" into the Google search engine (other search engines should
      find it, too), it will be within the first few results. I hope this
      helps.

      Pax Christi,
      Cecilia de Cambrige

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS