Re: [SCA Newcomers] Digest Number 952

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2005
      In a message dated 10/19/2005 1:32:21 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<As long as it's not /obviously/ polyester, you'll be able to get by. The
      only thing that's required is "an attempt at pre17th century clothing".
      I'd say that's more than an attempt. :) The biggest problem with
      polyester is that it keeps you hot when it's hot out but doesn't hold
      heat when it's cool out. (Found that out the hard way, I did, with my
      crushed-velvet cloak. :))>>

      That, and the fact that it melts and sticks to you, causing severe burns, if
      you get it too close to an open flame, which tend to be more frequently found
      at SCA events than in most people's daily life.

      Polyester is not appreciated in the SCA as much for comfort and safety
      reasons as for any issues with whether it "looks medieval enough".

      Lancaster, PA