Re: [SCA Newcomers] resistance by others

  • cad557@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 14, 2005
      My husband thinks I'm nuts. But I am having alot of fun.My mother, son,
      daughter-in-law, daughter, and 4 grandchildren are involved. I am learning so much
      history of common everyday things and have gained so many friends. Other
      people just don't understand but I explain that it isn't a Renn Faire.......it is
      soooooo much more. Then they get interested and seem to understand a little
      better when I tell them what all we do. Just keep your head up and tell them
      about it. If they still think you are crazy.....Just smile!!!!

      Milisandia

    • christelle kelly
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 17, 2005
        My sister-in-law told me not to join because it was a "bunch of geeks" and
        not meaning geeks in a smart people way. Well it turns out that in the time
        period between when she had known people in it and I had joined, those
        people had left (they were not really the type to stick around
        anyways...more the burn bridges type). So based on my persistance....she has
        now joined and is loving it. And by persisitance I don't mean bugging her. I
        reminded her that one of the things she has always respected about me is
        that I "do my own thing" and that I would not deserve that respect if I did
        not give it a try based on her opinion. After that...I left her alone, when
        she saw me having fun, she followed.

        On 10/14/05, Jamie Schork-Morency <pouncy@...> wrote:

        > Yep. But they were mostly ex-SCAdians who had had a lot of drama before
        > they
        > left. I pretty much told them I'm going to give it a try, and at the very
        > least I get more pretty costumes for our LARPs and my husband has an
        > excuse
        > to get camping gear.
        > -Jamie

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 17, 2005
          On Friday 14 October 2005 13:17, gwyns_quest wrote:
          > Have any of you had people think you are crazy or wasting your time
          > because of your interest in the SCA? What did you do, or say?

          Heck, for several years my friends tried to get me to join the SCA, and *I*
          was the one who said it was a bunch of crazy weirdos and I wanted no part
          of it. Then they got me to go to Pennsic 20, and I was hooked after the
          first 30 minutes or so. :-)

          A few years after I joined the SCA, I had the following conversation with
          a co-worker after I returned from Pennsic:

          Her: "So, where did you go for vacation for two weeks?"
          Me: "It's a living history event called Pennsic war..." ...and went
          on to explain about several thousand people living in tents and
          learning about the Middle Ages
          Her: "THAT'S WEIRD! Why would you want to do that?"
          Me: (getting a little annoyed) "Well, gee, I guess any hobby that isn't
          our own hobbies seems weird, doesn't it? I mean, probably you have
          hobbies that others think are weird, right? We all do."
          Her: "NO I DON'T!"
          Me: "So, what are your hobbies?"
          Her: "I don't have any."
          Me: "Oh, come on. You have to do something for entertainment. Stamp
          collecting? Fishing? Knitting? Old movies? Model trains?"
          Her: "Nothing. I don't like hobbies."
          Me: "Are you married? Do you have kids? If so, what do you do as a family?"
          Her: "Married, no kids. We don't do any hobbies."
          Me: (getting irritated again) "So, you work 40 hours a week, sleep about
          56 hours a week, spend maybe 21 hours eating meals. What do you do with
          the rest of the 176 hours?"
          Her: "Nothing."
          Me: "You can't do 'nothing'. You at least have to watch TV or something."
          Her: "Yeah, we watch TV."
          Me: "And.....?"
          Her: "That's all. We like to watch TV."
          Me: "So, let me get this straight. You work full time, and when you get time
          off from the office, all you and your husband want to do is watch TV?
          And you think *I'm* weird?!"

          She slunk away after that, and never again gave me a bad time about my hobby.
          I've learned some diplomacy since then, and wouldn't have this conversation in
          the same way today....but I think it still illustrates the point pretty well.

          My brother is very blunt about saying the SCA is a waste of time. It gathers
          no food and does not serve Vaal, after all. [*] Yet he will spend *hours* each
          week clipping coupons from the newspaper to save maybe $10 on his groceries.

          It's all relative -- one person's waste of time is another person's passion.

          What I tell people now is the truth: that I've met a lot of really wonderful
          people in the SCA, many of whom are now my close friends, and I enjoy socializing
          with them and also having a creative outlet in re-creating a bygone era. I tell
          them that it's fun to have a hobby where I can totally step out of the modern
          world for a few hours at a time, relaxing because it's so utterly different from
          my high-tech modern job. I tell them that I love to camp, and the SCA has a lot
          of opportunities for that. I tell them that the SCA is quite a bit like improv
          theatre, only with the added attraction of learning some history while doing it.
          Or you can turn that around, and say that the SCA is a lot like a history
          lesson, but more exciting because you do it instead of just talking or reading
          about it.

          Justin

          [*] A reference to a Star Trek episode called "The Apple", in which the natives
          of a planet spent their entire lives slavishly "feeding" a computer-driven
          idol called Vaal. http://www.ericweisstein.com/fun/startrek/TheApple.html

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

        • gwyns_quest
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 18, 2005
            I am not defending your brother or your co-worker...but I will say
            this: They are just caught up in the mundane details of life.
            Sometimes I think that I don't like being an adult, because it can be
            so boring. It's like suddenly you have to be in survival mode,
            without realizing you are. You have to think of a job, buying food
            (as your brother does--he is trying to save money by clipping
            coupons), etc. You reach a point where you start wondering what your
            goals are, and you remember all of the ones you once had. So, I can
            sympathize with the people you mentioned, they are most likely just
            caught up in the drudgery of adult life. Not that all of it is like
            that, or that every adult feels that way, but it is easy to fall into
            the trap.
            You are right that the SCA is a way to learn about history, and fun
            to "live" it yourself. Anything but mundane!

            http://4th.com/sca/justin/
            > justin@4... PGP Public Key at
            http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 18, 2005
              On Tuesday 18 October 2005 09:54, gwyns_quest wrote:
              > I am not defending your brother or your co-worker...but I will say
              > this: They are just caught up in the mundane details of life.
              > Sometimes I think that I don't like being an adult, because it can be
              > so boring. It's like suddenly you have to be in survival mode,
              > without realizing you are. You have to think of a job, buying food
              > (as your brother does--he is trying to save money by clipping
              > coupons), etc.

              True, but he's compulsive about it, and he doesn't count the value of his
              *time*. Time with his wife and daughter is precious. How much time with
              your family are you willing to give up to save 15 cents on toilet paper?
              He's in an income bracket where this savings is not significant; this is
              about control issues, not about really needing the money.

              My brother also has in common with my former co-worker another trait: they
              both are terrified, deep down in their souls, of being different in any
              way from what they see as societal norms. "Normal, acceptable people don't
              dress up in medieval clothes and learn how to make mead. Normal, acceptable
              people watch American Idol or Friends on TV instead. WHAT WILL PEOPLE THINK
              ABOUT ME?!"

              It's funny how society says it's perfectly normal to paint your face half
              black and half orange, go to a football game, strip off your shirt, wave
              it in the air, and bark like a dog in front of forty thousand people, but
              it's "weird" if you want to learn about 14th century Italian embroidery
              in a classroom with eighteen of your friends. :-) There's an old saying
              that the difference between a "religion" and a "cult" is that the former has
              a lot of members and the latter has only a few. I think this logic applies
              to hobbies, too. There are more football fans than living history buffs.

              > You reach a point where you start wondering what your
              > goals are, and you remember all of the ones you once had. So, I can
              > sympathize with the people you mentioned, they are most likely just
              > caught up in the drudgery of adult life. Not that all of it is like
              > that, or that every adult feels that way, but it is easy to fall into
              > the trap.

              Very true. And at the end of life, you look back and wonder if it was even
              worth being born. Heck, I have what I consider to be a very fulfilling life,
              and yet I still find myself feeling that I've wasted too many hours writing
              computer software to make my living, and not spent nearly enough hours helping
              others. I can't even imagine how oppressively crushing it would feel to look
              back on a lifetime where there was absolutely nothing but my job, where I had
              never even *tried* to break out now and then and see a larger picture.

              > You are right that the SCA is a way to learn about history, and fun
              > to "live" it yourself. Anything but mundane!

              Part of what makes the SCA appear weird to outsiders is the kind of people
              we attract. Living history groups, by their nature, attract people who have
              a lot of imagination, a lot of energy, and a good deal of intellect. Such
              individuals tend also to be eclectic in their preferences and behaviors.
              The SCA is full of people who are not afraid to be different, and so of
              course the organization reflects that attitude. From the outside, what we
              call "not afraid to be different" looks like "doesn't care about what
              other people think." Almost all cultures are threatened by things that don't
              conform to their mores. Also, cultures tend to define their own boundaries
              not only by what their own culture is, but also by how members of other
              cultures do not fit that model. We categorize things by what they are and
              also by what they aren't. So people outside the SCA are using our eclectic
              subculture to define a boundary of their own more conventional subcultures.
              They don't necessarily mean anything bad by this; it's an instinctive
              reaction for many people, happening beneath the level of conscious thought.

              Gee, that got a bit more convoluted than I had intended. Sorry. :-)

              keys fesswise reversed sable.

            • Sydney Walker Freedman
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 18, 2005
                > On Tuesday 18 October 2005 09:54, gwyns_quest wrote:
                > > I am not defending your brother or your co-worker...but I will say
                > > this: They are just caught up in the mundane details of life.
                > > Sometimes I think that I don't like being an adult, because it can be
                > > so boring. It's like suddenly you have to be in survival mode,
                > > without realizing you are. You have to think of a job, buying food
                > > (as your brother does--he is trying to save money by clipping
                > > coupons), etc.
                >
                > True, but he's compulsive about it, and he doesn't count the value of his
                > *time*. Time with his wife and daughter is precious. How much time with
                > your family are you willing to give up to save 15 cents on toilet paper?
                > He's in an income bracket where this savings is not significant; this is
                > about control issues, not about really needing the money.
                >
                > My brother also has in common with my former co-worker another trait:
                > they
                > both are terrified, deep down in their souls, of being different in any
                > way from what they see as societal norms. "Normal, acceptable people
                > don't
                > dress up in medieval clothes and learn how to make mead. Normal,
                > acceptable
                > people watch American Idol or Friends on TV instead. WHAT WILL PEOPLE
                > THINK
                > ABOUT ME?!"
                TV? What's that? (just kidding!) I find the majority of what is on TV
                uninteresting and/or immoral, and since I'm a music major, turning on
                American Idol is one of the best ways to get me out of the house. :) I
                honestly don't remember the last time I watched television (this doesn't
                include the movies I've watched in my college classes). anyway, the point
                of all of that was to illustrate just how "abnormal" i am, especially
                compared with your coworker. :)

                > It's funny how society says it's perfectly normal to paint your face half
                > black and half orange, go to a football game, strip off your shirt, wave
                > it in the air, and bark like a dog in front of forty thousand people, but
                > it's "weird" if you want to learn about 14th century Italian
                > embroidery
                > in a classroom with eighteen of your friends. :-) There's an old saying
                > that the difference between a "religion" and a "cult"
                > is that the former has
                > a lot of members and the latter has only a few. I think this logic
                > applies
                > to hobbies, too. There are more football fans than living history buffs.
                So, if we take this analogy to its logical conclusion, the SCA is a cult.
                :) You've just told a very conventional Lutheran that she is now a member
                of a cult. :) *gasp*

                > > You reach a point where you start wondering what your
                > > goals are, and you remember all of the ones you once had. So, I can
                > > sympathize with the people you mentioned, they are most likely just
                > > caught up in the drudgery of adult life. Not that all of it is like
                > > that, or that every adult feels that way, but it is easy to fall into
                > > the trap.
                >
                > Very true. And at the end of life, you look back and wonder if it was
                > even
                > worth being born. Heck, I have what I consider to be a very fulfilling
                > life,
                > and yet I still find myself feeling that I've wasted too many hours
                > writing
                > computer software to make my living, and not spent nearly enough hours
                > helping
                > others. I can't even imagine how oppressively crushing it would feel to
                > look
                > back on a lifetime where there was absolutely nothing but my job, where I
                > had
                > never even *tried* to break out now and then and see a larger picture.
                I'm currently at the point in life wher I have many goals and am looking
                at a larger picture (of course not literally, especially in my case :) ),
                and I hope that I will never get stuck in a rut.
                By the way, by doing your job as a computer programmer, you are
                helping a large number of people. If it weren't for people like you,
                I wouldn't even be able to use a computer. (For those of you who are
                new to the list, I'm blind and use special screen reading programs.)

                > > You are right that the SCA is a way to learn about history, and fun
                > > to "live" it yourself. Anything but mundane!
                >
                > Part of what makes the SCA appear weird to outsiders is the kind of
                > people
                > we attract. Living history groups, by their nature, attract people who
                > have
                > a lot of imagination, a lot of energy, and a good deal of intellect. Such
                > individuals tend also to be eclectic in their preferences and behaviors.
                > The SCA is full of people who are not afraid to be different, and so of
                > course the organization reflects that attitude. From the outside, what we
                > call "not afraid to be different" looks like "doesn't care
                > about what
                > other people think." Almost all cultures are threatened by things
                > that don't
                > conform to their mores. Also, cultures tend to define their own
                > boundaries
                > not only by what their own culture is, but also by how members of other
                > cultures do not fit that model. We categorize things by what they are and
                > also by what they aren't. So people outside the SCA are using our
                > eclectic
                > subculture to define a boundary of their own more conventional
                > subcultures.
                > They don't necessarily mean anything bad by this; it's an instinctive
                > reaction for many people, happening beneath the level of conscious
                > thought.
                >
                > Gee, that got a bit more convoluted than I had intended. Sorry. :-)
                Now you have my lame jokes to counteract that. Sorry; this is what
                happens when I get bored.

                > Justin
                >
                > --
                > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                > justin@... PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

                Pax Christi,
                Sydney
              • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 18, 2005
                  On Tuesday 18 October 2005 11:01, Sydney Walker Freedman wrote:
                  > TV? What's that? (just kidding!) I find the majority of what is on TV
                  > uninteresting and/or immoral, and since I'm a music major, turning on
                  > American Idol is one of the best ways to get me out of the house. :)

                  I've never even watched the show. I know what it's about from seeing previews,
                  and it holds no interest for me. Most "stars" are now manufactured based on
                  marketing analysis by the media companies; they see a performer and say, "This
                  person will reach the affluent 18~25-year-old demographic. Let's get the
                  PR machine rolling and make them famous." To me, American Idol is just a new
                  way of researching the market demographics. Blech.

                  > I honestly don't remember the last time I watched television (this doesn't
                  > include the movies I've watched in my college classes). anyway, the point
                  > of all of that was to illustrate just how "abnormal" i am, especially
                  > compared with your coworker. :)

                  I watch occasionally, but it's the lowest-priority activity in my life. There
                  is not a single show on TV that will cause me to rearrange my schedule of
                  other things. I enjoy Law and Order, and The Daily Show, and a couple of others,
                  but if I've got something better to do, they are entirely forgotten with no
                  regrets. I love movies, but my lady wife (Milica of Varna, who is also on this
                  list) is an A-V librarian in mundania, and brings home lots of good stuff!
                  (In fact, one of the things I adore about her is that she broadens my mind by
                  bringing home films I've never heard of and talking me into watching them.)

                  > So, if we take this analogy to its logical conclusion, the SCA is a cult.
                  > :) You've just told a very conventional Lutheran that she is now a member
                  > of a cult. :) *gasp*

                  We have been called that on more than one occasion. People learn that there
                  are Pagans in the SCA and assume that means the SCA is a "Pagan cult". They
                  never seem to wonder whether the fact that we also have Catholics makes it
                  a Catholic cult, or our Jewish members make it a Jewish cult, or our
                  fundamentalist Protestant members make it an Evangelical Christian Cult.

                  The fact of the matter is, the SCA is a secular organization. We study the
                  religions of the Middle Ages in an historical context, but we don't recreate
                  any single religion -- Pagan, Christian, or other. Members are free to believe
                  as they wish, and to practice their own faith (or choose not to do so) as
                  private individuals, according to their own conscience. No one is allowed to
                  make a ceremony or ritual of *any* religion an official part of an SCA event,
                  or to compel others to participate. For example, you can say Grace with your
                  family at an SCA feast if you wish, but you can't stand up and lead the whole
                  room in prayer.

                  Interestingly enough, the SCA is just full of people from many religious
                  faiths, and somehow we all learn to respect one another's differences and just
                  get along. If only we could export that to the rest of the world.

                  But we are still labeled a cult from time to time, so your humorous analogy
                  is actually fairly accurate. :-)

                  > I'm currently at the point in life wher I have many goals and am looking
                  > at a larger picture (of course not literally, especially in my case :) ),
                  > and I hope that I will never get stuck in a rut.

                  I was getting that way. The SCA helped break me out of it, as did community
                  theatre, and most of all, my discovery of a wonderful lady who became my
                  wife. The kindest wish I can give to anyone is to find a life partner who
                  will still challenge and intellectually engage you after a dozen years
                  together!

                  > By the way, by doing your job as a computer programmer, you are
                  > helping a large number of people. If it weren't for people like you,
                  > I wouldn't even be able to use a computer. (For those of you who are
                  > new to the list, I'm blind and use special screen reading programs.)

                  Thank you for the kind words. Most of what programmers do has no such noble
                  purpose. I have, in recent years, become a contributor to the Open Source
                  software movement, which allows me to use my talents to create programs that
                  can be freely used by anyone in the world. That feels very good, and it's
                  great to get an email from someone saying my software helped them do something
                  useful.

                  > Now you have my lame jokes to counteract that. Sorry; this is what
                  > happens when I get bored.

                  I wouldn't call your post "lame" at all, but rather insightful.

                  keys fesswise reversed sable.