Re: [SCA Newcomers] Many Thanks

  • Susan B. Farmer
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 14, 2005
      Quoting gwyns_quest <onedreamergirl@...>:

      > Thanks to all who responded...I now have some good starting points for
      > names and garb. About the newsletters--are they locally published by
      > each Kingdom, or do they originate from one centralized location and
      > are about the SCA in general?

      Would you believe ... it depends?

      Each kingdom has a newsletter specifically for that kingdom. In
      addition, Principalities, Baronies, and Shires may also have
      newsletters. The only 2 SCA-wide publications are Tournaments
      Illuminated which is more of a quarterly magazine, and The Compleat
      Anachronist which is a pamphlet series (can't remember the cost at the
      moment, but each issue is on a single topic. You get your kingdom
      newsletter with your paid membership -- subscriptions to the others are
      voluntary (but I think that you currently have to have a membership to
      subscribe to any of the corporate publications -- someone will correct
      me if I'm wrong).

      Jerusha
      -----
      Susan Farmer
      sfarmer@...
      University of Tennessee
    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 14, 2005
        gwyns_quest wrote:
        > About the newsletters--are they locally published by each Kingdom, or
        > do they originate from one centralized location and are about the SCA
        > in general?

        Paid members get a kingdom newsletter. It will mention things relevant
        Society-wide from time to time (like changes to corpora--the rules that
        govern the Society), but most of its content will be kingdom-specific.
        Most local groups will probably have a newsletter, as well, with the
        possible exception of the newest and smallest. It's strongly
        encouraged--even required, for groups of a certain status. (Society
        policy states, "It is crucial that the members of a local group
        communicate with one another, and a newsletter is an excellent method
        of communicating with the populace.. . .Any group that wishes to
        achieve the status of Barony should have a regular newsletter, and any
        group that aspires to higher status than baronial must have a
        newsletter.") Many groups give their newsletters out for free to
        anyone who asks.

        There are two Society periodicals, which you can research and purchase
        through the main SCA site <http://sca.org/docs/welcome.html>, but
        they're not newsletters. Other publications of general SCA interest
        (like the New Members' Guide and the Known World Handbook, which might
        be of especial use to someone who wants to get started in the SCA but
        doesn't have a lot of local resources) are also available through the
        site. And, of course, there are online resources there, including a
        newcomers' section <http://www.sca.org/newcomers.html>.

        Coblaith
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • Janet
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 15, 2005
          There are also regional and shire newsletters in many
          areas.

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs