Many Thanks

  • gwyns_quest
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 14, 2005
      Thanks to all who responded...I now have some good starting points for
      names and garb. About the newsletters--are they locally published by
      each Kingdom, or do they originate from one centralized location and
      are about the SCA in general?
    • Susan B. Farmer
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 14, 2005
        Quoting gwyns_quest <onedreamergirl@...>:

        > Thanks to all who responded...I now have some good starting points for
        > names and garb. About the newsletters--are they locally published by
        > each Kingdom, or do they originate from one centralized location and
        > are about the SCA in general?

        Would you believe ... it depends?

        Each kingdom has a newsletter specifically for that kingdom. In
        addition, Principalities, Baronies, and Shires may also have
        newsletters. The only 2 SCA-wide publications are Tournaments
        Illuminated which is more of a quarterly magazine, and The Compleat
        Anachronist which is a pamphlet series (can't remember the cost at the
        moment, but each issue is on a single topic. You get your kingdom
        newsletter with your paid membership -- subscriptions to the others are
        voluntary (but I think that you currently have to have a membership to
        subscribe to any of the corporate publications -- someone will correct
        me if I'm wrong).

        Jerusha
        -----
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        University of Tennessee
      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 14, 2005
          gwyns_quest wrote:
          > About the newsletters--are they locally published by each Kingdom, or
          > do they originate from one centralized location and are about the SCA
          > in general?

          Paid members get a kingdom newsletter. It will mention things relevant
          Society-wide from time to time (like changes to corpora--the rules that
          govern the Society), but most of its content will be kingdom-specific.
          Most local groups will probably have a newsletter, as well, with the
          possible exception of the newest and smallest. It's strongly
          encouraged--even required, for groups of a certain status. (Society
          policy states, "It is crucial that the members of a local group
          communicate with one another, and a newsletter is an excellent method
          of communicating with the populace.. . .Any group that wishes to
          achieve the status of Barony should have a regular newsletter, and any
          group that aspires to higher status than baronial must have a
          newsletter.") Many groups give their newsletters out for free to
          anyone who asks.

          There are two Society periodicals, which you can research and purchase
          through the main SCA site <http://sca.org/docs/welcome.html>, but
          they're not newsletters. Other publications of general SCA interest
          (like the New Members' Guide and the Known World Handbook, which might
          be of especial use to someone who wants to get started in the SCA but
          doesn't have a lot of local resources) are also available through the
          site. And, of course, there are online resources there, including a
          newcomers' section <http://www.sca.org/newcomers.html>.

          Coblaith
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        • Janet
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 15, 2005
            There are also regional and shire newsletters in many
            areas.

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs