(MODERATOR) Apologies for the slow turnaround on moderating posts

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 13, 2005
      Good evening, all!

      I want to apologize that I took so long to approve the posts to this list
      the past couple of days. Everyone's first attempt to post is moderated,
      to keep spammers from subscribing themselves and posting their junk here.
      As soon as we know you're a real person and not a spambot, we always set
      your moderation bit off, so that you can post freely. Normally I try to
      turn these requests around the same day.

      Two days ago, my hard drive started throwing sector errors, and I had to
      take the system offline to replace it. I didn't lose any data -- not a
      single byte! -- because I am disciplined about making backups, but it
      still takes a while to reinstall the operating system (Linux), migrate
      all the configuration settings, and then restore 21 gigabytes of data
      from the backup media. I just finished this evening.

      The pending moderation requests have, I think, all been handled, and I
      apologize that it took so long.

      Kind regards,

      Justin
      List Moderator

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • christelle kelly
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 17, 2005
        For those of us who went to High School before Windows and Bill
        Gates....would you like to say all of that again in English? Lol

        On 10/13/05, Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...> wrote:

        > Good evening, all!
        >
        > I want to apologize that I took so long to approve the posts to this list
        > the past couple of days. Everyone's first attempt to post is moderated,
        > to keep spammers from subscribing themselves and posting their junk here.
        > As soon as we know you're a real person and not a spambot, we always set
        > your moderation bit off, so that you can post freely. Normally I try to
        > turn these requests around the same day.
        >
        > Two days ago, my hard drive started throwing sector errors, and I had to
        > take the system offline to replace it. I didn't lose any data -- not a
        > single byte! -- because I am disciplined about making backups, but it
        > still takes a while to reinstall the operating system (Linux), migrate
        > all the configuration settings, and then restore 21 gigabytes of data
        > from the backup media. I just finished this evening.
        >
        > The pending moderation requests have, I think, all been handled, and I
        > apologize that it took so long.
        >
        > Kind regards,
        >
        > Justin
        > List Moderator
        >
        > --
        > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
        > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two
        > keys fesswise reversed sable.
        >
        > Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio) http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        > justin@... PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • David Whitehead
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 17, 2005
          it broke, he had copies of everything so he fixed it.

          ~Wolfie

        • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 17, 2005
            > For those of us who went to High School before Windows and Bill
            > Gates....would you like to say all of that again in English? Lol

            First posts to this list have to be approved by a "moderator" before
            they appear. (This is probably to prevent EMail programs masquerading
            as "real" persons from posting "spam" advertising to the list. )

            The moderator is apologizing for any delay in doing his job, causeing
            messages to wait unnecessarily long. He said that he was having
            problems with his computer and that prevented him from accessing
            what he needed to to do the job.

            Capt Elias
            Dragonship Haven, East
            (Stratford, CT, USA)

            -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

            - Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
            There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA
            than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

            Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
            Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
            To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
            Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
            Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
            Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
            You stand upon the ravage and behold
            A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
            For so appears this fleet majestical,
            Holding due course to Harfleur.
            - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue
          • christelle kelly
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 17, 2005
              LOL......ah, now.....words I can understand!!!!!

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 17, 2005
                On Monday 17 October 2005 10:46, christelle kelly wrote:
                > For those of us who went to High School before Windows and Bill
                > Gates....would you like to say all of that again in English? Lol

                I would do this, but others seem to have answered better than I could have,
                while I was camping with our household this weekend. :-)

                To define some of the terms, in case you're curious:

                sector errors: A sector is a small section of the hard disk's surface,
                and a "sector error" is when the operating system (in
                my case, Linux, but others may use Macintosh or Windows)
                reports that one or more of these sectors are defective.
                Sector errors are a Very Bad Thing on your disk, sort of
                the equivalent of a really loud clunking noise coming
                from under the hood of your car. :-)

                configuration: The personal settings for your computer that control
                things like, "What Internet provider do you use?" "What
                is your email address?" "What are your Favorites or
                Bookmarks for the web?" "What color or background image
                do you prefer on your screen?" .... and so on. Linux
                stores these in plain, ordinary disk files, so you can
                fairly easily "migrate" most of them to a new system
                just by copying those files. It's not hard, but it takes
                time because you have to decide what to keep, and what
                is easier just to redo from scratch.

                I was very lucky, in that I run backups of my hard disk regularly, and
                so when the drive crashed, I had a copy of all of the data that matters.
                The only thing I lost was a couple of temporary files that I can easily
                recreate on the new system.

                Does that help? :-)

                Anyway....I'm back now.

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 17, 2005
                  On Monday 17 October 2005 10:46, christelle kelly wrote:
                  > For those of us who went to High School before Windows and Bill
                  > Gates....

                  P.S. -- So did I, but just barely. My first computers were things I built
                  in my basement from chips and other parts I bought from Radio Shack. That
                  was just plain FUN! :-)

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 17, 2005
                    Awwwwww, I know the terms....I just wanted to put a smile on everyone's face
                    today!!! Just cause I'm a child of the 80's doesn't mean I didn't catch up,
                    lol