Re: [SCA Newcomers] Questions

  • L
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
      This is a site that can get you off to a good start for selecting a name via culture.
      http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html
      Then follow it up by cross checking the name you selected in not already in use or registered.
      http://oanda.sca.org//index.html

      Patterns are available at Walmart, local fabric stored, ebay, and thru certain online businesses gear toward the historical reproduction. Many other patterns are offered at some events. Now if your wanting documentation...Then Margo's patterns become an investment worth their weight in gold. Sadly--I only own one. But I made my one and only count.
      http://margospattern.com/

      Know if you aren't sure which way to go...then follow what most do. Look at various paintings.
      I selected a dress that I found that captured what I wanted to portray. I asked a million and one questions, picked up book after book to find similar fashion of that dress. I looked into what cultures and times that wore that dress. Once I had it all narrowed down....I labored over names. Tried out a few before picking the one. Just prior to getting mom AOA I made a final decision on my name. At the moment, I'm in the registering my name and device stage.

      I hope this helps!
      Lady Masina de Corvaria

      Check out my Ebay auctions: other items!