Re: [SCA Newcomers] Questions

  • L
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
      This is a site that can get you off to a good start for selecting a name via culture.
      http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html
      Then follow it up by cross checking the name you selected in not already in use or registered.
      http://oanda.sca.org//index.html

      Patterns are available at Walmart, local fabric stored, ebay, and thru certain online businesses gear toward the historical reproduction. Many other patterns are offered at some events. Now if your wanting documentation...Then Margo's patterns become an investment worth their weight in gold. Sadly--I only own one. But I made my one and only count.
      http://margospattern.com/

      Know if you aren't sure which way to go...then follow what most do. Look at various paintings.
      I selected a dress that I found that captured what I wanted to portray. I asked a million and one questions, picked up book after book to find similar fashion of that dress. I looked into what cultures and times that wore that dress. Once I had it all narrowed down....I labored over names. Tried out a few before picking the one. Just prior to getting mom AOA I made a final decision on my name. At the moment, I'm in the registering my name and device stage.

      I hope this helps!
      Lady Masina de Corvaria

      Check out my Ebay auctions: other items!

    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
        gwyns_quest wrote:
        > . . .where can I find patterns to make the clothing?

        Reconstructing History offers a very good intro to authentic medieval
        clothing, with a pattern for "Your First Garb"
        <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners/FirstGarb.html> that is
        appropriate to almost all of Western Europe for almost all of the SCA
        period (i.e., 600 to 1600 C.E.). As you develop your persona, you'll
        be able to adjust it (make it tighter or looser, longer or shorter,
        trim it in characteristic ways, choose characteristic colors and fabric
        combinations, etc.) to more specifically reflect your chosen time,
        place, and culture, but the basic garment given produces an excellent
        general medieval look.

        If you want to go very late in period (like, the last couple of
        centuries of the S.C.A. millenium) and are taking on an Elizabethan,
        German, Irish, or Polish persona, Reconstructing History's commercial
        patterns might be a good choice. They're designed by the same
        costumier who wrote the site, with an emphasis on authenticity and
        usefulness.

        Just to clarify: I have no relationship with the mentioned site or its
        owner. My recommendations are based solely on my satisfaction with the
        patterns from the site that I have used for my own family.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Ansteorra
        <Coblaith@...>
      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
          gwyns_quest wrote:
          > . . .where can I find patterns to make the clothing?

          Reconstructing History offers a very good intro to authentic medieval
          clothing, with a pattern for "Your First Garb"
          <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners/FirstGarb.html> that is
          appropriate to almost all of Western Europe for almost all of the SCA
          period (i.e., 600 to 1600 C.E.). As you develop your persona, you'll
          be able to adjust it (make it tighter or looser, longer or shorter,
          trim it in characteristic ways, choose characteristic colors and fabric
          combinations, etc.) to more specifically reflect your chosen time,
          place, and culture, but the basic garment given produces an excellent
          general medieval look.

          If you want to go very late in period (like, the last couple of
          centuries of the S.C.A. millenium) and are taking on an Elizabethan,
          German, Irish, or Polish persona, Reconstructing History's commercial
          patterns might be a good choice. They're designed by the same
          costumier who wrote the site, with an emphasis on authenticity and
          usefulness.

          Just to clarify: I have no relationship with the mentioned site or its
          owner. My recommendations are based solely on my satisfaction with the
          patterns from the site that I have used for my own family.

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Ansteorra
          <Coblaith@...>