Re: [SCA Newcomers] New member looking for Connections in local SCA group

  • Discordia
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 12, 2005
      Hi Lori, I'm in Central Florida as well and having problems finding a local
      group. I'm near Bushnell, Florida which is about 30-40 mins E of
      Brooksville, 20min N of Dade City, and 2ish maybe hours W of Orlando. I used
      to attend years ago but finding a group has proved difficult for me way out
      in the middle of nowhere so to speak. I as well emailed the Trimaris site
      with no luck and a couple of the 'local' groups a bit further out....

      Heidi
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 17, 2005
        I am very sorry to both of you that you have not recieved a response from
        Trimaris. At the Kingdom level it can get very busy. Could you both do me a
        favor and join Tri-temp under Yahoo groups? I am in Castlemere so a lot more
        familiar with Northern Florida than Central, but Tri-temp is our Yahoo group
        that we all chat on and someone can help you find the shire close to you.
        If you need any further help....my personal e-mail is caristel@... I
        will try to put you in touch with someone close to you.

        On 10/12/05, Discordia <discordia@...> wrote:

        > Hi Lori, I'm in Central Florida as well and having problems finding a
        > local
        > group. I'm near Bushnell, Florida which is about 30-40 mins E of
        > Brooksville, 20min N of Dade City, and 2ish maybe hours W of Orlando. I
        > used
        > to attend years ago but finding a group has proved difficult for me way
        > out
        > in the middle of nowhere so to speak. I as well emailed the Trimaris site
        > with no luck and a couple of the 'local' groups a bit further out....
        >
        > Heidi

      • Lori Williams
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 18, 2005
          Greetings fellow Lady Outlander, I certainly feel much better now that I know that I am not the only one that has had a little difficulty contacting anyone from Trimaris. Upon reading several of the responses in this group, I realize that there are so many things that need done at the Kingdom level, that oftentimes, apparently, newcomers get slightly overlooked. I am going to the Coronation event (again at Camp Ocala, which is less than 5 miles north of my house), and I am going to make a concerted effort to locate some people in this area in the same situation. Maybe, even if at first it's only by e-mail, we can at least keep in touch with each other, and exchange information, ideas, etc. Maybe there is a virtual shire or something for those of us who don't live in the city. I sure do hope so. I am very new to the SCA, but the Middle Ages and all things medieval have been a life-long passion for me, and I am going to get the most out of this experience that I can. What is
          your persona? How did you come about it? Do you make your own garb? I'm trying to create some pieces to get me by. I bought a gown from By The Sword, but I didn't realize that polyester is an SCA no-no. Oops. Now, I'm trying to figure a way to make some type of surcoat to go over it so I can use it anyway and not look too out of place. Well, the boss is back, so I gotta go. Looking forward to hearing from you again. Lori (I have to work on a name and persona. Maybe this weekend.)

          Discordia <discordia@...> wrote:Hi Lori, I'm in Central Florida as well and having problems finding a local
[...]

          Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

          ---------------------------------

        • christelle kelly
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 18, 2005
            Are either one of you interested in the scribal arts or heraldy? The first
            weekend in November, Castlemere (which is my home shire....mundanely
            Jacksonville) will be hosting scriptorium. While this is a one day event
            indoors, so there will be no camping, local Shire members will be opening
            their homes Friday and Saturday night to make it easier for all Trimarians
            to attend.
            Please do not feel like the two of you are alone. I am still relatively new
            and when I joined I finally showed up at a fighter practice to meet
            everyone. For all of the unanswered emails.....they welcomed me with open
            arms, they just get busy. Have you joined the Tri-temp group yet? Would you
            like me to send you the link? All you will have to do is introduce yourself
            on that group and members from your area will email you like crazy. They
            sure did when I joined it.

            On 10/18/05, Lori Williams <wolfhaven6@...> wrote:

            > Greetings fellow Lady Outlander, I certainly feel much better now that I
            > know that I am not the only one that has had a little difficulty contacting
            > anyone from Trimaris. Upon reading several of the responses in this group, I
            > realize that there are so many things that need done at the Kingdom level,
            > that oftentimes, apparently, newcomers get slightly overlooked. I am going
            > to the Coronation event (again at Camp Ocala, which is less than 5 miles
            > north of my house), and I am going to make a concerted effort to locate some
            > people in this area in the same situation. Maybe, even if at first it's only
            > by e-mail, we can at least keep in touch with each other, and exchange
            > information, ideas, etc. Maybe there is a virtual shire or something for
            > those of us who don't live in the city. I sure do hope so. I am very new to
            > the SCA, but the Middle Ages and all things medieval have been a life-long
            > passion for me, and I am going to get the most out of this experience that I
            > can. What is
            > your persona? How did you come about it? Do you make your own garb? I'm
            > trying to create some pieces to get me by. I bought a gown from By The
            > Sword, but I didn't realize that polyester is an SCA no-no. Oops. Now, I'm
            > trying to figure a way to make some type of surcoat to go over it so I can
            > use it anyway and not look too out of place. Well, the boss is back, so I
            > gotta go. Looking forward to hearing from you again. Lori (I have to work on
            > a name and persona. Maybe this weekend.)
            >
            > Discordia <discordia@...> wrote:Hi Lori, I'm in Central Florida
            > as well and having problems finding a local
            > group. I'm near Bushnell, Florida which is about 30-40 mins E of
            > Brooksville, 20min N of Dade City, and 2ish maybe hours W of Orlando. I
            > used
            > to attend years ago but finding a group has proved difficult for me way
            > out
            > in the middle of nowhere so to speak. I as well emailed the Trimaris site
            > with no luck and a couple of the 'local' groups a bit further out....
            >
            > Heidi

          • christelle kelly
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 18, 2005
              Also....Lori, most newcomers take a while to pick their personas.....there
              is no rush for that, some of the old timers on this list can explain why.
              It's not that "newcomers" get overlooked, there are many things that need
              to get done, and sometimes you don't know if emails even get recieved. But
              AGAIN, I am here, I am listening, and I am trying to get you in touch with
              your local people. Prophetically speaking...you have made "first contact".
              One more thing I would encourage you to do......here in Trimaris (and this
              goes for both of you), fighter practice is a very social event and usually
              in most shires held in public parks. Find one within a reasonable driving
              distance. For instance....if there were not one in Jax, I could drive 2
              hours to Gainseville....not to bad for a Sunday (which is when most are
              held). Go to fighter practice....introduce yourself. There are so many
              people that show up and leave that people in the SCA while VERY friendly,
              want to see that you will stick around before they really start to "bond".
              So just showing up for events will not get you that "I belong here" feeling.
              Lori, there are two groups near you....
              http://www.trimaris.org/group.asp?group=Shire%20of%20Amurgorod,
              http://www.trimaris.org/group.asp?group=Shire%20of%20the%20Ruins, if I
              understand where you are and the map correctly.
              Heidi, you may be by either..
              http://www.trimaris.org/group.asp?group=Shire%20of%20Starhaven or
              http://www.trimaris.org/group.asp?group=Shire%20of%20Sea%20March if I am
              understaning you correctly. If I am wrong..let me know. You have to put in
              zips to get the actual web pages so......
              Trimaris is full of friendly and giving people, and I have heard from many
              who have lived in other Kingdoms that we are one of the easiest for a
              newcomer to be welcomed into.....so PLEASE, join the tri-temp list and check
              those sites out.
              Clarrisse Genevive De Le Roche
              Clan Dunncan
              Castlemere
              Trimaris

            • Marco and Jitka Sainte
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 18, 2005
                Lori Williams wrote:

                > Greetings fellow Lady Outlander, I certainly feel much better now
                > that I know that I am not the only one that has had a little
                > difficulty contacting anyone from Trimaris. Upon reading several of
                > the responses in this group, I realize that there are so many things
                > that need done at the Kingdom level, that oftentimes, apparently,
                > newcomers get slightly overlooked. I am going to the Coronation event
                > (again at Camp Ocala, which is less than 5 miles north of my house),
                > and I am going to make a concerted effort to locate some people in
                > this area in the same situation. Maybe, even if at first it's only by
                > e-mail, we can at least keep in touch with each other, and exchange
                > information, ideas, etc. Maybe there is a virtual shire or something
                > for those of us who don't live in the city. I sure do hope so. I am
                > very new to the SCA, but the Middle Ages and all things medieval have
                > been a life-long passion for me, and I am going to get the most out of
                > this experience that I can. What is
                > your persona? How did you come about it? Do you make your own garb?
                > I'm trying to create some pieces to get me by. I bought a gown from
                > By The Sword, but I didn't realize that polyester is an SCA no-no.
                > Oops. Now, I'm trying to figure a way to make some type of surcoat to
                > go over it so I can use it anyway and not look too out of place.
                > Well, the boss is back, so I gotta go. Looking forward to hearing
                > from you again. Lori (I have to work on a name and persona. Maybe
                > this weekend.)

                As long as it's not /obviously/ polyester, you'll be able to get by. The
                only thing that's required is "an attempt at pre17th century clothing".
                I'd say that's more than an attempt. :) The biggest problem with
                polyester is that it keeps you hot when it's hot out but doesn't hold
                heat when it's cool out. (Found that out the hard way, I did, with my
                crushed-velvet cloak. :))

                Fiora

                --
                Get Firefox! <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=71676&t=84>