Re: [SCA Newcomers] Questions

  • L
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
      This is a site that can get you off to a good start for selecting a name via culture.
      http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html
      Then follow it up by cross checking the name you selected in not already in use or registered.
      http://oanda.sca.org//index.html

      Patterns are available at Walmart, local fabric stored, ebay, and thru certain online businesses gear toward the historical reproduction. Many other patterns are offered at some events. Now if your wanting documentation...Then Margo's patterns become an investment worth their weight in gold. Sadly--I only own one. But I made my one and only count.
      http://margospattern.com/

      Know if you aren't sure which way to go...then follow what most do. Look at various paintings.
      I selected a dress that I found that captured what I wanted to portray. I asked a million and one questions, picked up book after book to find similar fashion of that dress. I looked into what cultures and times that wore that dress. Once I had it all narrowed down....I labored over names. Tried out a few before picking the one. Just prior to getting mom AOA I made a final decision on my name. At the moment, I'm in the registering my name and device stage.

      I hope this helps!
      Lady Masina de Corvaria

      Check out my Ebay auctions: other items!

    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
        gwyns_quest wrote:
        > . . .where can I find patterns to make the clothing?

        Reconstructing History offers a very good intro to authentic medieval
        clothing, with a pattern for "Your First Garb"
        <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners/FirstGarb.html> that is
        appropriate to almost all of Western Europe for almost all of the SCA
        period (i.e., 600 to 1600 C.E.). As you develop your persona, you'll
        be able to adjust it (make it tighter or looser, longer or shorter,
        trim it in characteristic ways, choose characteristic colors and fabric
        combinations, etc.) to more specifically reflect your chosen time,
        place, and culture, but the basic garment given produces an excellent
        general medieval look.

        If you want to go very late in period (like, the last couple of
        centuries of the S.C.A. millenium) and are taking on an Elizabethan,
        German, Irish, or Polish persona, Reconstructing History's commercial
        patterns might be a good choice. They're designed by the same
        costumier who wrote the site, with an emphasis on authenticity and
        usefulness.

        Just to clarify: I have no relationship with the mentioned site or its
        owner. My recommendations are based solely on my satisfaction with the
        patterns from the site that I have used for my own family.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Ansteorra
        <Coblaith@...>
      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
          gwyns_quest wrote:
          > . . .where can I find patterns to make the clothing?

          Reconstructing History offers a very good intro to authentic medieval
          clothing, with a pattern for "Your First Garb"
          <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners/FirstGarb.html> that is
          appropriate to almost all of Western Europe for almost all of the SCA
          period (i.e., 600 to 1600 C.E.). As you develop your persona, you'll
          be able to adjust it (make it tighter or looser, longer or shorter,
          trim it in characteristic ways, choose characteristic colors and fabric
          combinations, etc.) to more specifically reflect your chosen time,
          place, and culture, but the basic garment given produces an excellent
          general medieval look.

          If you want to go very late in period (like, the last couple of
          centuries of the S.C.A. millenium) and are taking on an Elizabethan,
          German, Irish, or Polish persona, Reconstructing History's commercial
          patterns might be a good choice. They're designed by the same
          costumier who wrote the site, with an emphasis on authenticity and
          usefulness.

          Just to clarify: I have no relationship with the mentioned site or its
          owner. My recommendations are based solely on my satisfaction with the
          patterns from the site that I have used for my own family.

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Ansteorra
          <Coblaith@...>
        • Maria
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
            The only thing I would like to say about costuming...

            If you aren't an accomplished sewer, DON'T use the Period Patterns. They tend not to give a lot of instructions and if you don't know how to interpret the patterns, you won't understand how to make the clothing.

            I started out with simple Simplicity, McCalls and Butterick. McCalls is now putting out a bunch of patterns (4490, 4491, 4090, 4091, 4107, 4806, 4805, 4994, 4861, 4696, 4698) They are relatively easy to make and can be altered to make them look more period. The thing to remember is that te SCA only requires an ATTEMPT at pre-1600 clothing. Once you get into the group in your area and you meet some people, you'll probably get all kinds of offers to help you with clothing. I have a friend who is helping me to make some new patterns for a truely period outfit for my time period. I'm doing a mid 1300's Italian persona so I'm making a sideless surcoat and coathardie. It's going to be really wonderful.

            I've been at this for about 7 years though I was relatively inactive for 2 of those. I was still making garb with the big 3 patterns til just recently. Now, I've got enough friends who do costuming (and I've gotten enough practical experience in costuming and sewing) that I'm starting to make my own patterns with the help of other people.

            Anyway, I kind of got off the topic. What I wanted to say is that the patterns that you can get from the big 3 are good enough to start out with. The only thing I can tell you about them is instead of putting in zippers put on buttons or ties. You can still use the layout for the zipper to do buttons or ties and the outfit will look more period. That is a simple alteration you can make to the pattern.

            In Service to the Dream,
            Lady Elizabetta Maria de Medici
            Maria Buchanan
            Official Worrier of House Starfire
            Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
            Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
            In the Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra
            281-433-0347
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
              Cynthia Virtue also has articles on making such commercial patterns more
              period (caveat: some are very inaccurate, so if you're really concerned
              with authenticity, beware).
              Happy sewing!

              Pax Christi,
              Sydney