Re: [SCA Newcomers] Questions

  • L
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
      This is a site that can get you off to a good start for selecting a name via culture.
      http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html
      Then follow it up by cross checking the name you selected in not already in use or registered.
      http://oanda.sca.org//index.html

      Patterns are available at Walmart, local fabric stored, ebay, and thru certain online businesses gear toward the historical reproduction. Many other patterns are offered at some events. Now if your wanting documentation...Then Margo's patterns become an investment worth their weight in gold. Sadly--I only own one. But I made my one and only count.
      http://margospattern.com/

      Know if you aren't sure which way to go...then follow what most do. Look at various paintings.
      I selected a dress that I found that captured what I wanted to portray. I asked a million and one questions, picked up book after book to find similar fashion of that dress. I looked into what cultures and times that wore that dress. Once I had it all narrowed down....I labored over names. Tried out a few before picking the one. Just prior to getting mom AOA I made a final decision on my name. At the moment, I'm in the registering my name and device stage.

      I hope this helps!
      Lady Masina de Corvaria

      Check out my Ebay auctions: other items!

    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
        gwyns_quest wrote:
        > . . .where can I find patterns to make the clothing?

        Reconstructing History offers a very good intro to authentic medieval
        clothing, with a pattern for "Your First Garb"
        <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners/FirstGarb.html> that is
        appropriate to almost all of Western Europe for almost all of the SCA
        period (i.e., 600 to 1600 C.E.). As you develop your persona, you'll
        be able to adjust it (make it tighter or looser, longer or shorter,
        trim it in characteristic ways, choose characteristic colors and fabric
        combinations, etc.) to more specifically reflect your chosen time,
        place, and culture, but the basic garment given produces an excellent
        general medieval look.

        If you want to go very late in period (like, the last couple of
        centuries of the S.C.A. millenium) and are taking on an Elizabethan,
        German, Irish, or Polish persona, Reconstructing History's commercial
        patterns might be a good choice. They're designed by the same
        costumier who wrote the site, with an emphasis on authenticity and
        usefulness.

        Just to clarify: I have no relationship with the mentioned site or its
        owner. My recommendations are based solely on my satisfaction with the
        patterns from the site that I have used for my own family.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Ansteorra
        <Coblaith@...>
      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
          gwyns_quest wrote:
          > . . .where can I find patterns to make the clothing?

          Reconstructing History offers a very good intro to authentic medieval
          clothing, with a pattern for "Your First Garb"
          <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners/FirstGarb.html> that is
          appropriate to almost all of Western Europe for almost all of the SCA
          period (i.e., 600 to 1600 C.E.). As you develop your persona, you'll
          be able to adjust it (make it tighter or looser, longer or shorter,
          trim it in characteristic ways, choose characteristic colors and fabric
          combinations, etc.) to more specifically reflect your chosen time,
          place, and culture, but the basic garment given produces an excellent
          general medieval look.

          If you want to go very late in period (like, the last couple of
          centuries of the S.C.A. millenium) and are taking on an Elizabethan,
          German, Irish, or Polish persona, Reconstructing History's commercial
          patterns might be a good choice. They're designed by the same
          costumier who wrote the site, with an emphasis on authenticity and
          usefulness.

          Just to clarify: I have no relationship with the mentioned site or its
          owner. My recommendations are based solely on my satisfaction with the
          patterns from the site that I have used for my own family.

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Ansteorra
          <Coblaith@...>
        • Jeremy Slick
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
            Message: 6
            Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:32:54 -0000
            From: "gwyns_quest" <onedreamergirl@...>
            Subject: Re: Questions

            Thanks Justin! The more I learn the more curious I
            become and the more I want to join. I guess I need to
            do some research about the time period and names...and
            I'll bet it's difficult at first to get used to being
            called a different name!

            As a herald, here are the things I generally tell most
            of my clients:

            1) If you're not sure what to go by to start with, try
            a name that sounds similar to your mundane given name
            or a nickname you prefer to go by. You're more likely
            to respond if you are called a name that sounds
            vaguely familiar to you.

            2) Don't get hung up on dates and culture right away.
            You can work that out in your persona development as
            time goes on. The most important thing is finding a
            name that you can stand being called, and that you
            like.

            3) Start looking through available name resources for
            ideas. The two best places are:

            The Academy of St. Gabriel's Medieval Names Archive
            http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/

            The SCA College of Heralds Names Articles
            http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html

            Between these two sources, you'll get a good start to
            finding a period name you like and that is very much
            usable in the SCA (especially if you are seeking to
            register and protect that name). Your local herald
            will have more hardcopy resources that you could
            browse through for other ideas. Stop by any heraldic
            consultation table at an event to take full advantage
            of this!

            Additionally, for titles, the SCA College of Heralds
            does have a list of alternate titles listed for those
            wanting something for their persona's native tongue:
            http://www.sca.org/heraldry/titles.html

            Until the next time,
            Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi, CT
            Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir
            Student to HE Master Modar Neznanich, OP
            Deodar Pursuivant

            __________________________________
            Yahoo! Music Unlimited
            http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
          • Susan B. Farmer
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
              Quoting gwyns_quest <onedreamergirl@...>:

              > I have not officially joined the SCA yet, but would like to. Just
              > curious:when was the SCA founded? Also, where can I find patterns to
              > make the clothing? How did you choose your names? What are generally
              > the ages of members of the SCA? Thanks.

              Well, you don't ever have to formally join to play with us, it just
              helps because you can get the newsletters and stuff.

              The SCA was founded in 1967 -- here's a couple of web sites that talk
              about the origins of the SCA
              http://history.westkingdom.org/Year0/index.htm
              http://members.tripod.com/~whitebard/lastone.htm

              I joined in 1974 as an undergraduate at the University of Tennessee (I'd
              always been a costume junkie). I'm 52 now, and still playing. I chose
              my name based on Family History. Jerusha was the name of one of my
              mumblety-great Aunts (loved the name when I ran across it); and Kilgore
              is in honor of my mumblety-great grandfather who was sired by "That
              Kilgore Man"

              Patterns? The SCA requires only an attempt at pre-1700 clothing -- many
              people are content with patterns put out by the Big 3 (aka, Simplicity,k
              McCalls, and Butterick). Some folks use those patterns as a springboard
              to start with -- they tweak and make them more authentic. A great many
              people learn pattern drafting so that they can make their own patterns.
              And there's *scads* of information (and patterns) on the web. We might
              be able to point you in the direction of some web resources for the time
              period that you're most interested in if we knew what that was. Some
              people have very defined personas and they never deviate from it; I've
              only started to nail down a persona in the last 5 years or so. Late
              period (1475-1575-ish) Italian, maybe English -- but then I love the
              Spanish doublet gown look -- but I've got to make me a Viking Apron
              dress -- I have the fabric that's just *demanding* to be an apron
              dress. There was a lady from Caid who made the comment that she didn't
              have a persona, she had a Costume Closet. There's another lady who's
              sig is "I'm a child of the 80s -- 1180, 1280, 1380 ....."

              On their website, Pillaged Village has a "medieval-gram" using pictures
              from Braun and Schneider.

              http://www.pillagedvillage.com/gramsend.html

              These are Victorian Redrawings, and may not be the most faithful of
              representations of clothing within our period, but IMHO if you're not
              familiar with some of the clothing lines in period, this is a pretty
              good place to start. The paintings that many of the redrawings were
              based on are easily identifiable.

              HOller if you have any other questions; that's why all of us Old Folks
              are here. :-)

              Jerusha
              -----
              Susan Farmer
              sfarmer@...
              University of Tennessee
            • Maria
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
                The only thing I would like to say about costuming...

                If you aren't an accomplished sewer, DON'T use the Period Patterns. They tend not to give a lot of instructions and if you don't know how to interpret the patterns, you won't understand how to make the clothing.

                I started out with simple Simplicity, McCalls and Butterick. McCalls is now putting out a bunch of patterns (4490, 4491, 4090, 4091, 4107, 4806, 4805, 4994, 4861, 4696, 4698) They are relatively easy to make and can be altered to make them look more period. The thing to remember is that te SCA only requires an ATTEMPT at pre-1600 clothing. Once you get into the group in your area and you meet some people, you'll probably get all kinds of offers to help you with clothing. I have a friend who is helping me to make some new patterns for a truely period outfit for my time period. I'm doing a mid 1300's Italian persona so I'm making a sideless surcoat and coathardie. It's going to be really wonderful.

                I've been at this for about 7 years though I was relatively inactive for 2 of those. I was still making garb with the big 3 patterns til just recently. Now, I've got enough friends who do costuming (and I've gotten enough practical experience in costuming and sewing) that I'm starting to make my own patterns with the help of other people.

                Anyway, I kind of got off the topic. What I wanted to say is that the patterns that you can get from the big 3 are good enough to start out with. The only thing I can tell you about them is instead of putting in zippers put on buttons or ties. You can still use the layout for the zipper to do buttons or ties and the outfit will look more period. That is a simple alteration you can make to the pattern.

                In Service to the Dream,
                Lady Elizabetta Maria de Medici
                Maria Buchanan
                Official Worrier of House Starfire
                Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
                Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
                In the Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra
                281-433-0347
                > I have not officially joined the SCA yet, but would like to. Just
                > curious:when was the SCA founded? Also, where can I find patterns to
                > make the clothing? How did you choose your names? What are generally
                > the ages of members of the SCA? Thanks.

                Well, you don't ever have to formally join to play with us, it just
                helps because you can get the newsletters and stuff.

                The SCA was founded in 1967 -- here's a couple of web sites that talk
                about the origins of the SCA
                http://history.westkingdom.org/Year0/index.htm
                http://members.tripod.com/~whitebard/lastone.htm

                I joined in 1974 as an undergraduate at the University of Tennessee (I'd
                always been a costume junkie). I'm 52 now, and still playing. I chose
                my name based on Family History. Jerusha was the name of one of my
                mumblety-great Aunts (loved the name when I ran across it); and Kilgore
                is in honor of my mumblety-great grandfather who was sired by "That
                Kilgore Man"

                Patterns? The SCA requires only an attempt at pre-1700 clothing -- many
                people are content with patterns put out by the Big 3 (aka, Simplicity,k
                McCalls, and Butterick). Some folks use those patterns as a springboard
                to start with -- they tweak and make them more authentic. A great many
                people learn pattern drafting so that they can make their own patterns.
                And there's *scads* of information (and patterns) on the web. We might
                be able to point you in the direction of some web resources for the time
                period that you're most interested in if we knew what that was. Some
                people have very defined personas and they never deviate from it; I've
                only started to nail down a persona in the last 5 years or so. Late
                period (1475-1575-ish) Italian, maybe English -- but then I love the
                Spanish doublet gown look -- but I've got to make me a Viking Apron
                dress -- I have the fabric that's just *demanding* to be an apron
                dress. There was a lady from Caid who made the comment that she didn't
                have a persona, she had a Costume Closet. There's another lady who's
                sig is "I'm a child of the 80s -- 1180, 1280, 1380 ....."

                On their website, Pillaged Village has a "medieval-gram" using pictures
                from Braun and Schneider.

                http://www.pillagedvillage.com/gramsend.html

                These are Victorian Redrawings, and may not be the most faithful of
                representations of clothing within our period, but IMHO if you're not
                familiar with some of the clothing lines in period, this is a pretty
                good place to start. The paintings that many of the redrawings were
                based on are easily identifiable.

                HOller if you have any other questions; that's why all of us Old Folks
                are here. :-)

                Jerusha
                -----
                Susan Farmer
                sfarmer@...
                University of Tennessee

              • Sydney Walker Freedman
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
                  Cynthia Virtue also has articles on making such commercial patterns more
                  period (caveat: some are very inaccurate, so if you're really concerned
                  with authenticity, beware).
                  Happy sewing!

                  Pax Christi,
                  Sydney