Re: [SCA Newcomers] Questions

  • L
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
      This is a site that can get you off to a good start for selecting a name via culture.
      http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html
      Then follow it up by cross checking the name you selected in not already in use or registered.
      http://oanda.sca.org//index.html

      Patterns are available at Walmart, local fabric stored, ebay, and thru certain online businesses gear toward the historical reproduction. Many other patterns are offered at some events. Now if your wanting documentation...Then Margo's patterns become an investment worth their weight in gold. Sadly--I only own one. But I made my one and only count.
      http://margospattern.com/

      Know if you aren't sure which way to go...then follow what most do. Look at various paintings.
      I selected a dress that I found that captured what I wanted to portray. I asked a million and one questions, picked up book after book to find similar fashion of that dress. I looked into what cultures and times that wore that dress. Once I had it all narrowed down....I labored over names. Tried out a few before picking the one. Just prior to getting mom AOA I made a final decision on my name. At the moment, I'm in the registering my name and device stage.

      I hope this helps!
      Lady Masina de Corvaria

      Check out my Ebay auctions: other items!

    • gwyns_quest
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
        Thanks Justin! The more I learn the more curious I become and the
        more I want to join. I guess I need to do some research about the
        time period and names...and I'll bet it's difficult at first to get
        used to being called a different name!

        <justin@4...> wrote:

        > On Wednesday 12 October 2005 09:18, gwyns_quest wrote:
        > > I have not officially joined the SCA yet, but would like to. Just
        > > curious:when was the SCA founded?
        >
        > 1966! It began as a backyard going-away party for someone who was
        joining the
        > Peace Corps. Her friends decided to make it a Middle Ages theme
        party, and
        > people made garb and even primitive armor (helmets of cut-up Freon
        cans!),
        > and they held a tournament to choose a "king". They had so much fun
        that they
        > decided to do it again...and again...and one thing led to
        another....etc. :-)

        > Now we have over 30,000 paid members plus a whole lot of non-
        members who also
        > participate in SCA events. From tiny acorns grow mighty oaks.
        >
        > > Also, where can I find patterns to
        > > make the clothing?
        >
        > I'll defer on that question to the numerous costume wizards on this
        list. :-)

        > > How did you choose your names?
        >
        > And on this one I'll defer to the heralds, except to say that your
        name should
        > be a name that existed in period, but *not* the exact name of a
        famous person.
        > You are creating the persona of "someone who could have lived in
        XYZ locale
        > during the ABCth century", not reenacting someone who actually did
        so.

        > For starters, you can pick a temporary working name and then change
        it later
        > after you've decided what time period and culture are of most
        interest to you.
        > A lot of newcomers choose some medieval variant of their real name
        to get
        > started, but of course that's just one approach. Some modern names
        are also
        > period, such as John or Anne.
        >
        > When you find your local group, the Herald or Pursuivant (same
        person, different
        > name depending on local custom) should be able to provide you lots
        of ideas and
        > help with names, in addition to the help you can get from this list.
        >
        > > What are generally
        > > the ages of members of the SCA? Thanks.
        >
        > Newborn to senior citizen. Literally! In my own household (a
        household is just
        > an unofficial gathering of friends who go to SCA events together;
        it's not an
        > official SCA group) of about 20 people, we have every age from
        newborn infant
        > to retirees. The SCA is very family-friendly, and becoming more so
        every year
        > because our population demographic is gradually moving
        from "college age and
        > just later" to "college age through grandparents" -- ergo, more
        parents with
        > kids are in the SCA, so the SCA adapts by providing more family
        activities.

        > Welcome! I hope this brief bit of info is a good start, and I
        encourage others
        > to contribute their responses as well.
        >
        > Justin
        >
        > P.S. -- As I write this, I'm preparing to go offline for most of
        the day to
        > replace my laptop's hard drive, so if you reply, please forgive
        that I probably
        > won't respond until tomorrow.
        >
        > --
        > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::[]
        xxxx()

        http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        > justin@4... PGP Public Key at
        http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

      • Kristine Elliott
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
          On 10/12/05, gwyns_quest <onedreamergirl@...> wrote:

          > I have not officially joined the SCA yet, but would like to. Just
          > curious:when was the SCA founded? Also, where can I find patterns to
          > make the clothing? How did you choose your names? What are generally
          > the ages of members of the SCA? Thanks.

          I recommend this as a starting place for garb:
          http://www.virtue.to/articles/in_depth_garb.html Indeed, Cynthia has many
          interesting articles. Check out the whole list at:
          http://www.virtue.to/articles/ . There ARE many other pages that describe
          basic costuming, so feel free to search for others, if some of the
          instructions don't make sense to you.

          For names, a good place to start is the medieval name archives at:
          http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/ . These were accumulated by the Academy of
          St. Gabriel, whose purpose is to study medieval naming practices. Since you
          may want to eventually Register your names, you may want to look at the
          Rules for Submission and associated documents found here:
          http://sca.org/heraldry/laurel/regs.html . If you find a name you think you
          would like, feel free to get in touch with me and I would be glad to take a
          look at it (this invitation is for everyone on the list, of course) and give
          you my opinion as to its suitability as a medieval name and its
          registerability. (I've been researching names for over 2 decades and did
          name commentary for over a decade for the SCA College of Arms; I don't know
          everything, but usually if I can't help you, I know who to ask.!)

          I hope this helps.

          Cateline

          --
          http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

          "I have come to the conclusion that this administration values loyalty more
          than anything else, more than competence or, frankly, more than the truth."
          Rep. Christopher Shays.

        • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
            gwyns_quest wrote:
            > . . .where can I find patterns to make the clothing?

            Reconstructing History offers a very good intro to authentic medieval
            clothing, with a pattern for "Your First Garb"
            <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners/FirstGarb.html> that is
            appropriate to almost all of Western Europe for almost all of the SCA
            period (i.e., 600 to 1600 C.E.). As you develop your persona, you'll
            be able to adjust it (make it tighter or looser, longer or shorter,
            trim it in characteristic ways, choose characteristic colors and fabric
            combinations, etc.) to more specifically reflect your chosen time,
            place, and culture, but the basic garment given produces an excellent
            general medieval look.

            If you want to go very late in period (like, the last couple of
            centuries of the S.C.A. millenium) and are taking on an Elizabethan,
            German, Irish, or Polish persona, Reconstructing History's commercial
            patterns might be a good choice. They're designed by the same
            costumier who wrote the site, with an emphasis on authenticity and
            usefulness.

            Just to clarify: I have no relationship with the mentioned site or its
            owner. My recommendations are based solely on my satisfaction with the
            patterns from the site that I have used for my own family.

            Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            Ansteorra
            <Coblaith@...>
          • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
              gwyns_quest wrote:
              > . . .where can I find patterns to make the clothing?

              Reconstructing History offers a very good intro to authentic medieval
              clothing, with a pattern for "Your First Garb"
              <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners/FirstGarb.html> that is
              appropriate to almost all of Western Europe for almost all of the SCA
              period (i.e., 600 to 1600 C.E.). As you develop your persona, you'll
              be able to adjust it (make it tighter or looser, longer or shorter,
              trim it in characteristic ways, choose characteristic colors and fabric
              combinations, etc.) to more specifically reflect your chosen time,
              place, and culture, but the basic garment given produces an excellent
              general medieval look.

              If you want to go very late in period (like, the last couple of
              centuries of the S.C.A. millenium) and are taking on an Elizabethan,
              German, Irish, or Polish persona, Reconstructing History's commercial
              patterns might be a good choice. They're designed by the same
              costumier who wrote the site, with an emphasis on authenticity and
              usefulness.

              Just to clarify: I have no relationship with the mentioned site or its
              owner. My recommendations are based solely on my satisfaction with the
              patterns from the site that I have used for my own family.

              Coblaith Mhuimhneach
              Barony of Bryn Gwlad
              Ansteorra
              <Coblaith@...>
            • Jeremy Slick
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
                Message: 6
                Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:32:54 -0000
                From: "gwyns_quest" <onedreamergirl@...>
                Subject: Re: Questions

                Thanks Justin! The more I learn the more curious I
                become and the more I want to join. I guess I need to
                do some research about the time period and names...and
                I'll bet it's difficult at first to get used to being
                called a different name!

                As a herald, here are the things I generally tell most
                of my clients:

                1) If you're not sure what to go by to start with, try
                a name that sounds similar to your mundane given name
                or a nickname you prefer to go by. You're more likely
                to respond if you are called a name that sounds
                vaguely familiar to you.

                2) Don't get hung up on dates and culture right away.
                You can work that out in your persona development as
                time goes on. The most important thing is finding a
                name that you can stand being called, and that you
                like.

                3) Start looking through available name resources for
                ideas. The two best places are:

                The Academy of St. Gabriel's Medieval Names Archive
                http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/

                The SCA College of Heralds Names Articles
                http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html

                Between these two sources, you'll get a good start to
                finding a period name you like and that is very much
                usable in the SCA (especially if you are seeking to
                register and protect that name). Your local herald
                will have more hardcopy resources that you could
                browse through for other ideas. Stop by any heraldic
                consultation table at an event to take full advantage
                of this!

                Additionally, for titles, the SCA College of Heralds
                does have a list of alternate titles listed for those
                wanting something for their persona's native tongue:
                http://www.sca.org/heraldry/titles.html

                Until the next time,
                Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi, CT
                Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir
                Student to HE Master Modar Neznanich, OP
                Deodar Pursuivant

                __________________________________
                Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
              • Susan B. Farmer
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
                  Quoting gwyns_quest <onedreamergirl@...>:

                  > I have not officially joined the SCA yet, but would like to. Just
                  > curious:when was the SCA founded? Also, where can I find patterns to
                  > make the clothing? How did you choose your names? What are generally
                  > the ages of members of the SCA? Thanks.

                  Well, you don't ever have to formally join to play with us, it just
                  helps because you can get the newsletters and stuff.

                  The SCA was founded in 1967 -- here's a couple of web sites that talk
                  about the origins of the SCA
                  http://history.westkingdom.org/Year0/index.htm
                  http://members.tripod.com/~whitebard/lastone.htm

                  I joined in 1974 as an undergraduate at the University of Tennessee (I'd
                  always been a costume junkie). I'm 52 now, and still playing. I chose
                  my name based on Family History. Jerusha was the name of one of my
                  mumblety-great Aunts (loved the name when I ran across it); and Kilgore
                  is in honor of my mumblety-great grandfather who was sired by "That
                  Kilgore Man"

                  Patterns? The SCA requires only an attempt at pre-1700 clothing -- many
                  people are content with patterns put out by the Big 3 (aka, Simplicity,k
                  McCalls, and Butterick). Some folks use those patterns as a springboard
                  to start with -- they tweak and make them more authentic. A great many
                  people learn pattern drafting so that they can make their own patterns.
                  And there's *scads* of information (and patterns) on the web. We might
                  be able to point you in the direction of some web resources for the time
                  period that you're most interested in if we knew what that was. Some
                  people have very defined personas and they never deviate from it; I've
                  only started to nail down a persona in the last 5 years or so. Late
                  period (1475-1575-ish) Italian, maybe English -- but then I love the
                  Spanish doublet gown look -- but I've got to make me a Viking Apron
                  dress -- I have the fabric that's just *demanding* to be an apron
                  dress. There was a lady from Caid who made the comment that she didn't
                  have a persona, she had a Costume Closet. There's another lady who's
                  sig is "I'm a child of the 80s -- 1180, 1280, 1380 ....."

                  On their website, Pillaged Village has a "medieval-gram" using pictures
                  from Braun and Schneider.

                  http://www.pillagedvillage.com/gramsend.html

                  These are Victorian Redrawings, and may not be the most faithful of
                  representations of clothing within our period, but IMHO if you're not
                  familiar with some of the clothing lines in period, this is a pretty
                  good place to start. The paintings that many of the redrawings were
                  based on are easily identifiable.

                  HOller if you have any other questions; that's why all of us Old Folks
                  are here. :-)

                  Jerusha
                  -----
                  Susan Farmer
                  sfarmer@...
                  University of Tennessee
                • Maria
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
                    The only thing I would like to say about costuming...

                    If you aren't an accomplished sewer, DON'T use the Period Patterns. They tend not to give a lot of instructions and if you don't know how to interpret the patterns, you won't understand how to make the clothing.

                    I started out with simple Simplicity, McCalls and Butterick. McCalls is now putting out a bunch of patterns (4490, 4491, 4090, 4091, 4107, 4806, 4805, 4994, 4861, 4696, 4698) They are relatively easy to make and can be altered to make them look more period. The thing to remember is that te SCA only requires an ATTEMPT at pre-1600 clothing. Once you get into the group in your area and you meet some people, you'll probably get all kinds of offers to help you with clothing. I have a friend who is helping me to make some new patterns for a truely period outfit for my time period. I'm doing a mid 1300's Italian persona so I'm making a sideless surcoat and coathardie. It's going to be really wonderful.

                    I've been at this for about 7 years though I was relatively inactive for 2 of those. I was still making garb with the big 3 patterns til just recently. Now, I've got enough friends who do costuming (and I've gotten enough practical experience in costuming and sewing) that I'm starting to make my own patterns with the help of other people.

                    Anyway, I kind of got off the topic. What I wanted to say is that the patterns that you can get from the big 3 are good enough to start out with. The only thing I can tell you about them is instead of putting in zippers put on buttons or ties. You can still use the layout for the zipper to do buttons or ties and the outfit will look more period. That is a simple alteration you can make to the pattern.

                    In Service to the Dream,
                    Lady Elizabetta Maria de Medici
                    Maria Buchanan
                    Official Worrier of House Starfire
                    Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
                    Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
                    In the Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra
                    281-433-0347
                    > I have not officially joined the SCA yet, but would like to. Just
                    > curious:when was the SCA founded? Also, where can I find patterns to
                    > make the clothing? How did you choose your names? What are generally
                    > the ages of members of the SCA? Thanks.

                    Well, you don't ever have to formally join to play with us, it just
                    helps because you can get the newsletters and stuff.

                    The SCA was founded in 1967 -- here's a couple of web sites that talk
                    about the origins of the SCA
                    http://history.westkingdom.org/Year0/index.htm
                    http://members.tripod.com/~whitebard/lastone.htm

                    I joined in 1974 as an undergraduate at the University of Tennessee (I'd
                    always been a costume junkie). I'm 52 now, and still playing. I chose
                    my name based on Family History. Jerusha was the name of one of my
                    mumblety-great Aunts (loved the name when I ran across it); and Kilgore
                    is in honor of my mumblety-great grandfather who was sired by "That
                    Kilgore Man"

                    Patterns? The SCA requires only an attempt at pre-1700 clothing -- many
                    people are content with patterns put out by the Big 3 (aka, Simplicity,k
                    McCalls, and Butterick). Some folks use those patterns as a springboard
                    to start with -- they tweak and make them more authentic. A great many
                    people learn pattern drafting so that they can make their own patterns.
                    And there's *scads* of information (and patterns) on the web. We might
                    be able to point you in the direction of some web resources for the time
                    period that you're most interested in if we knew what that was. Some
                    people have very defined personas and they never deviate from it; I've
                    only started to nail down a persona in the last 5 years or so. Late
                    period (1475-1575-ish) Italian, maybe English -- but then I love the
                    Spanish doublet gown look -- but I've got to make me a Viking Apron
                    dress -- I have the fabric that's just *demanding* to be an apron
                    dress. There was a lady from Caid who made the comment that she didn't
                    have a persona, she had a Costume Closet. There's another lady who's
                    sig is "I'm a child of the 80s -- 1180, 1280, 1380 ....."

                    On their website, Pillaged Village has a "medieval-gram" using pictures
                    from Braun and Schneider.

                    http://www.pillagedvillage.com/gramsend.html

                    These are Victorian Redrawings, and may not be the most faithful of
                    representations of clothing within our period, but IMHO if you're not
                    familiar with some of the clothing lines in period, this is a pretty
                    good place to start. The paintings that many of the redrawings were
                    based on are easily identifiable.

                    HOller if you have any other questions; that's why all of us Old Folks
                    are here. :-)

                    Jerusha
                    -----
                    Susan Farmer
                    sfarmer@...
                    University of Tennessee

                  • Sydney Walker Freedman
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
                      Cynthia Virtue also has articles on making such commercial patterns more
                      period (caveat: some are very inaccurate, so if you're really concerned
                      with authenticity, beware).
                      Happy sewing!

                      Pax Christi,
                      Sydney