Title question

  • Dawn Perez
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10, 2005
      I understand the titles of folks who have them, but what about us
      common folk? For instance, I am still new, but I am almost sure that
      I should call myself by something. My name is Albina Gherardi, and I
      am a widowed lady about to be remarried. What would a married lady be
      called, that is not a noble or does not yet have an AoA?

      Thanks for all the great info!

      Albina
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 12, 2005
        On Monday 10 October 2005 09:11, Dawn Perez wrote:
        > I understand the titles of folks who have them, but what about us
        > common folk?  For instance, I am still new, but I am almost sure that
        > I should call myself by something.  My name is Albina Gherardi, and I
        > am a widowed lady about to be remarried.  What would a married lady be
        > called, that is not a noble or does not yet have an AoA?

        You are still presumed to be of gentry class, and of a noble lineage even
        though you yourself have not yet been given a title by Their Majesties.
        Thus, you are "a lady" even if you are not yet "Lady".

        The courtesy title of M'Lady (short for "My Lady") is proper for any woman
        in the SCA, regardless of her award or title, so you can be addressed as
        "M'Lady Albina" or (more formally) "M'Lady Albina Gherardi".

        In many kingdoms, the titles Lord and Lady are used as "courtesy titles"
        like "Mr." and "Ms." in the modern world, a simple way to identify gender
        without necessarily conveying status. You'll see this in places where the
        context is more modern-world, such as an informal email to shire members
        listing who's coming to fighter practice this weekend -- in other words,
        the exact titles aren't that important in such a context, so if you can't
        remember them, you use "Lord" and "Lady" by default. This varies from
        kingdom to kingdom.

        In most kingdoms, you can at whatever title level you hold pick a translated
        version of your title into your persona's native language. Your local Herald
        or Pursuivant can advise you on this. In my case, for example, I am entitled
        to the title of "Master of the Pelican" but have chosen to use the Greek
        title "Maistor", which in my persona's time period translated idiomatically as
        "Professor". The spelling resemblence to "Master" is actually coincidental --
        the Greek word that literally translates as "Master" looks nothing like the
        English word, and in my persona's period it meant "magistrate" or "judge".
        I felt this meaning was too presumptuous, because I have no such authority,
        and was pleased when a word that meant "guildmaster" or "professor" happened
        to look a lot like the usual Pelican title so it would be easy to say and
        to remember. Sometimes we luck out! :-)

        If you choose a French persona, you may find that "Madame" or "Madamoiselle"
        is acceptable as a substitute for "M'Lady" in your kingdom, for example.
        In a German persona, perhaps you could use "Frau" or "Frauline". Again,
        check with your local Herald or Pursuivant.

        I'm pretty sure (someone correct me if I'm wrong), though, that "M'Lord"
        and "M'Lady" are used universally for those who don't yet have an AoA or
        when the proper title is unknown to the speaker, and across multiple
        persona cultures. :-)

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Dawn Perez
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 12, 2005
          So, for my Italian persona, I could be Signora Albina? And my
          husband to be (only in the SCA, we have been married for quite a
          while, but will have an SCA ceremony next year!) would be Senor
          Estevan? Would that be proper? I only ask, because as a good
          southern lady, mundanely, I always send thank you cards and
          invitations labeled with our names.

          As a herald, would this fly?

          Albina

          http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          > justin@4... PGP Public Key at
          http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

        • Jeremy J. Slick
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 13, 2005
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn Perez" <dagperez@y...> wrote:

            > So, for my Italian persona, I could be Signora Albina? And my
            > husband to be (only in the SCA, we have been married for quite a
            > while, but will have an SCA ceremony next year!) would be Senor
            > Estevan? Would that be proper? I only ask, because as a good
            > southern lady, mundanely, I always send thank you cards and
            > invitations labeled with our names.
            >
            > As a herald, would this fly?
            >
            > Albina

            I would suggest against using "signore" and "signora" until you have
            received your Award of Arms...as these are the Society College of
            Heralds regonized alternate titles for Lord and Lady (which one uses
            once they have received their AoA or requivalent). I'm still
            researching for alternate terms appropriate for Italian personas...but
            so far I'm not getting very far....

            Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi, CT
            Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir
            Deodar Pursuivant