Questions

  • gwyns_quest
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
      I have not officially joined the SCA yet, but would like to. Just
      curious:when was the SCA founded? Also, where can I find patterns to
      make the clothing? How did you choose your names? What are generally
      the ages of members of the SCA? Thanks.
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
        On Wednesday 12 October 2005 09:18, gwyns_quest wrote:
        > I have not officially joined the SCA yet, but would like to. Just
        > curious:when was the SCA founded?

        1966! It began as a backyard going-away party for someone who was joining the
        Peace Corps. Her friends decided to make it a Middle Ages theme party, and
        people made garb and even primitive armor (helmets of cut-up Freon cans!),
        and they held a tournament to choose a "king". They had so much fun that they
        decided to do it again...and again...and one thing led to another....etc. :-)

        Now we have over 30,000 paid members plus a whole lot of non-members who also
        participate in SCA events. From tiny acorns grow mighty oaks.

        > Also, where can I find patterns to
        > make the clothing?

        I'll defer on that question to the numerous costume wizards on this list. :-)

        > How did you choose your names?

        And on this one I'll defer to the heralds, except to say that your name should
        be a name that existed in period, but *not* the exact name of a famous person.
        You are creating the persona of "someone who could have lived in XYZ locale
        during the ABCth century", not reenacting someone who actually did so.

        For starters, you can pick a temporary working name and then change it later
        after you've decided what time period and culture are of most interest to you.
        A lot of newcomers choose some medieval variant of their real name to get
        started, but of course that's just one approach. Some modern names are also
        period, such as John or Anne.

        When you find your local group, the Herald or Pursuivant (same person, different
        name depending on local custom) should be able to provide you lots of ideas and
        help with names, in addition to the help you can get from this list.

        > What are generally
        > the ages of members of the SCA? Thanks.

        Newborn to senior citizen. Literally! In my own household (a household is just
        an unofficial gathering of friends who go to SCA events together; it's not an
        official SCA group) of about 20 people, we have every age from newborn infant
        to retirees. The SCA is very family-friendly, and becoming more so every year
        because our population demographic is gradually moving from "college age and
        just later" to "college age through grandparents" -- ergo, more parents with
        kids are in the SCA, so the SCA adapts by providing more family activities.

        Welcome! I hope this brief bit of info is a good start, and I encourage others
        to contribute their responses as well.

        Justin

        P.S. -- As I write this, I'm preparing to go offline for most of the day to
        replace my laptop's hard drive, so if you reply, please forgive that I probably
        won't respond until tomorrow.

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • L
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
          This is a site that can get you off to a good start for selecting a name via culture.
          http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html
          Then follow it up by cross checking the name you selected in not already in use or registered.
          http://oanda.sca.org//index.html

          Patterns are available at Walmart, local fabric stored, ebay, and thru certain online businesses gear toward the historical reproduction. Many other patterns are offered at some events. Now if your wanting documentation...Then Margo's patterns become an investment worth their weight in gold. Sadly--I only own one. But I made my one and only count.
          http://margospattern.com/

          Know if you aren't sure which way to go...then follow what most do. Look at various paintings.
          I selected a dress that I found that captured what I wanted to portray. I asked a million and one questions, picked up book after book to find similar fashion of that dress. I looked into what cultures and times that wore that dress. Once I had it all narrowed down....I labored over names. Tried out a few before picking the one. Just prior to getting mom AOA I made a final decision on my name. At the moment, I'm in the registering my name and device stage.

          I hope this helps!
          Lady Masina de Corvaria

          Check out my Ebay auctions: other items!

        • gwyns_quest
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
            Thanks Justin! The more I learn the more curious I become and the
            more I want to join. I guess I need to do some research about the
            time period and names...and I'll bet it's difficult at first to get
            used to being called a different name!

            http://4th.com/sca/justin/
            > justin@4... PGP Public Key at
            http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

          • Kristine Elliott
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
              On 10/12/05, gwyns_quest <onedreamergirl@...> wrote:

              > I have not officially joined the SCA yet, but would like to. Just
              > curious:when was the SCA founded? Also, where can I find patterns to
              > make the clothing? How did you choose your names? What are generally
              > the ages of members of the SCA? Thanks.

              I recommend this as a starting place for garb:
              http://www.virtue.to/articles/in_depth_garb.html Indeed, Cynthia has many
              interesting articles. Check out the whole list at:
              http://www.virtue.to/articles/ . There ARE many other pages that describe
              basic costuming, so feel free to search for others, if some of the
              instructions don't make sense to you.

              For names, a good place to start is the medieval name archives at:
              http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/ . These were accumulated by the Academy of
              St. Gabriel, whose purpose is to study medieval naming practices. Since you
              may want to eventually Register your names, you may want to look at the
              Rules for Submission and associated documents found here:
              http://sca.org/heraldry/laurel/regs.html . If you find a name you think you
              would like, feel free to get in touch with me and I would be glad to take a
              look at it (this invitation is for everyone on the list, of course) and give
              you my opinion as to its suitability as a medieval name and its
              registerability. (I've been researching names for over 2 decades and did
              name commentary for over a decade for the SCA College of Arms; I don't know
              everything, but usually if I can't help you, I know who to ask.!)

              I hope this helps.

              Cateline

              --
              http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

              "I have come to the conclusion that this administration values loyalty more
              than anything else, more than competence or, frankly, more than the truth."
              Rep. Christopher Shays.

            • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
                gwyns_quest wrote:
                > . . .where can I find patterns to make the clothing?

                Reconstructing History offers a very good intro to authentic medieval
                clothing, with a pattern for "Your First Garb"
                <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners/FirstGarb.html> that is
                appropriate to almost all of Western Europe for almost all of the SCA
                period (i.e., 600 to 1600 C.E.). As you develop your persona, you'll
                be able to adjust it (make it tighter or looser, longer or shorter,
                trim it in characteristic ways, choose characteristic colors and fabric
                combinations, etc.) to more specifically reflect your chosen time,
                place, and culture, but the basic garment given produces an excellent
                general medieval look.

                If you want to go very late in period (like, the last couple of
                centuries of the S.C.A. millenium) and are taking on an Elizabethan,
                German, Irish, or Polish persona, Reconstructing History's commercial
                patterns might be a good choice. They're designed by the same
                costumier who wrote the site, with an emphasis on authenticity and
                usefulness.

                Just to clarify: I have no relationship with the mentioned site or its
                owner. My recommendations are based solely on my satisfaction with the
                patterns from the site that I have used for my own family.

                Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                Ansteorra
                <Coblaith@...>
              • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
                  gwyns_quest wrote:
                  > . . .where can I find patterns to make the clothing?

                  Reconstructing History offers a very good intro to authentic medieval
                  clothing, with a pattern for "Your First Garb"
                  <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners/FirstGarb.html> that is
                  appropriate to almost all of Western Europe for almost all of the SCA
                  period (i.e., 600 to 1600 C.E.). As you develop your persona, you'll
                  be able to adjust it (make it tighter or looser, longer or shorter,
                  trim it in characteristic ways, choose characteristic colors and fabric
                  combinations, etc.) to more specifically reflect your chosen time,
                  place, and culture, but the basic garment given produces an excellent
                  general medieval look.

                  If you want to go very late in period (like, the last couple of
                  centuries of the S.C.A. millenium) and are taking on an Elizabethan,
                  German, Irish, or Polish persona, Reconstructing History's commercial
                  patterns might be a good choice. They're designed by the same
                  costumier who wrote the site, with an emphasis on authenticity and
                  usefulness.

                  Just to clarify: I have no relationship with the mentioned site or its
                  owner. My recommendations are based solely on my satisfaction with the
                  patterns from the site that I have used for my own family.

                  Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                  Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                  Ansteorra
                  <Coblaith@...>
                • Jeremy Slick
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
                    Message: 6
                    Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:32:54 -0000
                    From: "gwyns_quest" <onedreamergirl@...>
                    Subject: Re: Questions

                    Thanks Justin! The more I learn the more curious I
                    become and the more I want to join. I guess I need to
                    do some research about the time period and names...and
                    I'll bet it's difficult at first to get used to being
                    called a different name!

                    As a herald, here are the things I generally tell most
                    of my clients:

                    1) If you're not sure what to go by to start with, try
                    a name that sounds similar to your mundane given name
                    or a nickname you prefer to go by. You're more likely
                    to respond if you are called a name that sounds
                    vaguely familiar to you.

                    2) Don't get hung up on dates and culture right away.
                    You can work that out in your persona development as
                    time goes on. The most important thing is finding a
                    name that you can stand being called, and that you
                    like.

                    3) Start looking through available name resources for
                    ideas. The two best places are:

                    The Academy of St. Gabriel's Medieval Names Archive
                    http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/

                    The SCA College of Heralds Names Articles
                    http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html

                    Between these two sources, you'll get a good start to
                    finding a period name you like and that is very much
                    usable in the SCA (especially if you are seeking to
                    register and protect that name). Your local herald
                    will have more hardcopy resources that you could
                    browse through for other ideas. Stop by any heraldic
                    consultation table at an event to take full advantage
                    of this!

                    Additionally, for titles, the SCA College of Heralds
                    does have a list of alternate titles listed for those
                    wanting something for their persona's native tongue:
                    http://www.sca.org/heraldry/titles.html

                    Until the next time,
                    Signore Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi, CT
                    Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir
                    Student to HE Master Modar Neznanich, OP
                    Deodar Pursuivant

                    __________________________________
                    Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                    http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
                  • Susan B. Farmer
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
                      Quoting gwyns_quest <onedreamergirl@...>:

                      > I have not officially joined the SCA yet, but would like to. Just
                      > curious:when was the SCA founded? Also, where can I find patterns to
                      > make the clothing? How did you choose your names? What are generally
                      > the ages of members of the SCA? Thanks.

                      Well, you don't ever have to formally join to play with us, it just
                      helps because you can get the newsletters and stuff.

                      The SCA was founded in 1967 -- here's a couple of web sites that talk
                      about the origins of the SCA
                      http://history.westkingdom.org/Year0/index.htm
                      http://members.tripod.com/~whitebard/lastone.htm

                      I joined in 1974 as an undergraduate at the University of Tennessee (I'd
                      always been a costume junkie). I'm 52 now, and still playing. I chose
                      my name based on Family History. Jerusha was the name of one of my
                      mumblety-great Aunts (loved the name when I ran across it); and Kilgore
                      is in honor of my mumblety-great grandfather who was sired by "That
                      Kilgore Man"

                      Patterns? The SCA requires only an attempt at pre-1700 clothing -- many
                      people are content with patterns put out by the Big 3 (aka, Simplicity,k
                      McCalls, and Butterick). Some folks use those patterns as a springboard
                      to start with -- they tweak and make them more authentic. A great many
                      people learn pattern drafting so that they can make their own patterns.
                      And there's *scads* of information (and patterns) on the web. We might
                      be able to point you in the direction of some web resources for the time
                      period that you're most interested in if we knew what that was. Some
                      people have very defined personas and they never deviate from it; I've
                      only started to nail down a persona in the last 5 years or so. Late
                      period (1475-1575-ish) Italian, maybe English -- but then I love the
                      Spanish doublet gown look -- but I've got to make me a Viking Apron
                      dress -- I have the fabric that's just *demanding* to be an apron
                      dress. There was a lady from Caid who made the comment that she didn't
                      have a persona, she had a Costume Closet. There's another lady who's
                      sig is "I'm a child of the 80s -- 1180, 1280, 1380 ....."

                      On their website, Pillaged Village has a "medieval-gram" using pictures
                      from Braun and Schneider.

                      http://www.pillagedvillage.com/gramsend.html

                      These are Victorian Redrawings, and may not be the most faithful of
                      representations of clothing within our period, but IMHO if you're not
                      familiar with some of the clothing lines in period, this is a pretty
                      good place to start. The paintings that many of the redrawings were
                      based on are easily identifiable.

                      HOller if you have any other questions; that's why all of us Old Folks
                      are here. :-)

                      Jerusha
                      -----
                      Susan Farmer
                      sfarmer@...
                      University of Tennessee
                    • Maria
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
                        The only thing I would like to say about costuming...

                        If you aren't an accomplished sewer, DON'T use the Period Patterns. They tend not to give a lot of instructions and if you don't know how to interpret the patterns, you won't understand how to make the clothing.

                        I started out with simple Simplicity, McCalls and Butterick. McCalls is now putting out a bunch of patterns (4490, 4491, 4090, 4091, 4107, 4806, 4805, 4994, 4861, 4696, 4698) They are relatively easy to make and can be altered to make them look more period. The thing to remember is that te SCA only requires an ATTEMPT at pre-1600 clothing. Once you get into the group in your area and you meet some people, you'll probably get all kinds of offers to help you with clothing. I have a friend who is helping me to make some new patterns for a truely period outfit for my time period. I'm doing a mid 1300's Italian persona so I'm making a sideless surcoat and coathardie. It's going to be really wonderful.

                        I've been at this for about 7 years though I was relatively inactive for 2 of those. I was still making garb with the big 3 patterns til just recently. Now, I've got enough friends who do costuming (and I've gotten enough practical experience in costuming and sewing) that I'm starting to make my own patterns with the help of other people.

                        Anyway, I kind of got off the topic. What I wanted to say is that the patterns that you can get from the big 3 are good enough to start out with. The only thing I can tell you about them is instead of putting in zippers put on buttons or ties. You can still use the layout for the zipper to do buttons or ties and the outfit will look more period. That is a simple alteration you can make to the pattern.

                        In Service to the Dream,
                        Lady Elizabetta Maria de Medici
                        Maria Buchanan
                        Official Worrier of House Starfire
                        Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
                        Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
                        In the Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra
                        281-433-0347
                        > I have not officially joined the SCA yet, but would like to. Just
                        > curious:when was the SCA founded? Also, where can I find patterns to
                        > make the clothing? How did you choose your names? What are generally
                        > the ages of members of the SCA? Thanks.

                        Well, you don't ever have to formally join to play with us, it just
                        helps because you can get the newsletters and stuff.

                        The SCA was founded in 1967 -- here's a couple of web sites that talk
                        about the origins of the SCA
                        http://history.westkingdom.org/Year0/index.htm
                        http://members.tripod.com/~whitebard/lastone.htm

                        I joined in 1974 as an undergraduate at the University of Tennessee (I'd
                        always been a costume junkie). I'm 52 now, and still playing. I chose
                        my name based on Family History. Jerusha was the name of one of my
                        mumblety-great Aunts (loved the name when I ran across it); and Kilgore
                        is in honor of my mumblety-great grandfather who was sired by "That
                        Kilgore Man"

                        Patterns? The SCA requires only an attempt at pre-1700 clothing -- many
                        people are content with patterns put out by the Big 3 (aka, Simplicity,k
                        McCalls, and Butterick). Some folks use those patterns as a springboard
                        to start with -- they tweak and make them more authentic. A great many
                        people learn pattern drafting so that they can make their own patterns.
                        And there's *scads* of information (and patterns) on the web. We might
                        be able to point you in the direction of some web resources for the time
                        period that you're most interested in if we knew what that was. Some
                        people have very defined personas and they never deviate from it; I've
                        only started to nail down a persona in the last 5 years or so. Late
                        period (1475-1575-ish) Italian, maybe English -- but then I love the
                        Spanish doublet gown look -- but I've got to make me a Viking Apron
                        dress -- I have the fabric that's just *demanding* to be an apron
                        dress. There was a lady from Caid who made the comment that she didn't
                        have a persona, she had a Costume Closet. There's another lady who's
                        sig is "I'm a child of the 80s -- 1180, 1280, 1380 ....."

                        On their website, Pillaged Village has a "medieval-gram" using pictures
                        from Braun and Schneider.

                        http://www.pillagedvillage.com/gramsend.html

                        These are Victorian Redrawings, and may not be the most faithful of
                        representations of clothing within our period, but IMHO if you're not
                        familiar with some of the clothing lines in period, this is a pretty
                        good place to start. The paintings that many of the redrawings were
                        based on are easily identifiable.

                        HOller if you have any other questions; that's why all of us Old Folks
                        are here. :-)

                        Jerusha
                        -----
                        Susan Farmer
                        sfarmer@...
                        University of Tennessee

                      • Sydney Walker Freedman
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 12, 2005
                          Cynthia Virtue also has articles on making such commercial patterns more
                          period (caveat: some are very inaccurate, so if you're really concerned
                          with authenticity, beware).
                          Happy sewing!

                          Pax Christi,
                          Sydney