Re: [SCA Newcomers] Grapes of Wrath and other general info

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 27, 2005
      On Monday 26 September 2005 21:14, David Whitehead wrote:
      > How very true i have been fighting going on 3 years now and i must say that
      > my favorite people at an event are the water bearers.

      I've been a Chirurgeon (first aid provider) for 11 years now, and a fighter for
      about 7 years, and I heartily agree! As a fighter, well....what he said! As a
      Chirurgeon, I know that the more water the fighters are drinking, the less
      likely I'll be treating them for heat exhaustion. We *like* the water bearers!

      > One suggestion is if
      > you have a bunch of old towels that you have no other use for, get a bunch
      > of ice in a cooler and stick the towels in there. My barony (Bjornsborg,
      > Ansteorra) started doing this a couple of events ago and i must say when
      > fighting in texas in the middle of summer they are a godsend.

      A good suggestion, BUT a note of caution is needed. Putting a very cold towel,
      or even a tap-water-temperature wet towel, on someone who is very hot may be
      a bad idea, if they are not expecting it. There are two basic reasons:

      1. Physically, the sudden shock of cold can be a bad thing for the body, and
      can cause adverse reactions in some people. Occasionally someone may react
      very badly and go into a kind of shock. It's much more likely if the
      person was not expecting the cold, because the effect is partly psychogenic.

      2. Mentally, a fighter who's just come off the field may have a very high
      level of adrenalin. If you slap a cold towel on them by surprise, they may
      react instinctively and could hurt you without meaning to. The body's
      senses get a little mixed up by heat and adrenalin together, and it's hard
      for the subconscious reflexes to tell a slap of cold from a slap of rattan.
      The fighter might take a swing at you by reflex, before the conscious brain
      has time to say, "Wait a minute! That's not a guy in armor hitting me!" If
      the fighter has time to *see* and talk to you first, this isn't going to
      happen. They might grovel at your feet in gratitude, but they won't hit you.

      Wolfgang, I'm not trying to throw a wet blanket on your idea (pun intended!).
      But it's important to ASK the fighter (1) if they'd like a cold towel and
      (2) if so, where they'd like you to place it, or if they'd like to just have
      you hand it to them.

      I know that you, as a fighter, probably already know this stuff, but it's
      important to let our new folks -- who may volunteer as water bearers at their
      very first event -- know it as well. No offense intended -- your idea is a
      good one, just needed a little extra precautionary note added. :-)

      Kind regards,

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 27, 2005
        On Monday 26 September 2005 19:24, pat danis wrote:
        > Trice is a nick name for my given name of paTrice...so it rhymes with
        > niece.

        Ah, okay! I was thinking it might be from the expression "I'll have this
        job done in a trice," which was kind of the medieval equivalent of a
        "New York minute". :-)

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • David Whitehead
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 27, 2005
          of course i totally agree and took some things for granted, also we have a
          very lovely 15 year old girl go around with the towels, we figured everyone
          NEEDED a very stark contrast to a 200+ (i dont know any fighters that weight
          less than that in armor) man throwing stuff at you. She also waits untill
          there is a break between scenarios before throwing stuff at you.