Re: [SCA Newcomers] Choosing a Culture

  • Tia
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 27, 2005
      Ask yourself if there are any cultures in which you are
      particularly
      > interested (you can even think about modern ones). then, do research
      > on that particular culture in whatever time period you pick. If
      > you're not sure about the time period, see what you can find about
      > its history.

      I heartily Agree, or pick a person in history you are interested
      in...My self became interested in the 1300's after watching "A Knights
      Tale" (Yes i know its very un-acurate portrayl *l*) But it got me
      interested in Edward the Black Prince wich led me to researching the
      goings on in the time....
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 27, 2005
        On Tuesday 27 September 2005 09:17, Tia wrote:
        > Yes i know its very un-acurate portrayl

        Yep, but FUN! Wasn't that the movie where the fans at the joust all started
        singing Queen's "We Will Rock You"? Or am I thinking of a different movie?

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Jeremy Slick
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 27, 2005
          Iustinos Tekton called Justin wrote:
          "Wasn't that the movie where the fans at the joust all
          started singing Queen's "We Will Rock You"? Or am I
          thinking of a different movie?"

          You've got the right movie.

          Which is part of why I figured out what style of garb
          I liked. Prince Henry from "Ever After" was what I had
          initially aimed for...and then when I saw the men's
          garb in "Dangerous Beauty" I shifted a little. But the
          entire time, I knew I wanting to be a Florentine.
          *LOL* I just needed to find the right garb for myself.

          Even now, I'm playing with different garb for
          different cultures...which is part of the reason why I
          picked up a Russian alternate persona...so that I
          could play with the Eastern European, Middle Eastern,
          and Central Asian garb choices. *heh*

          Giudo di Niccolo

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • pat danis
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 27, 2005
            Thank You for your kind suggestions. I too enjoyed "a knights Tale" and the Black Prince was my favorite character. "If" you have the time or want too, share any info or sites on the true black prince please do and I promise they will not go to waist.. I am torn between The Braveheart time period (Scots) and the real man William Wallace and the (English) ficticious Lord Locksley AKA Robin Hood. So I am at the computer much.

            Many thanks and blessings.....TRICE
            Tia <teedle77@...> wrote:
            Ask yourself if there are any cultures in which you are
            particularly
            > interested (you can even think about modern ones). then, do research
            > on that particular culture in whatever time period you pick. If
            > you're not sure about the time period, see what you can find about
            > its history.

            I heartily Agree, or pick a person in history you are interested
            in...My self became interested in the 1300's after watching "A Knights
            Tale" (Yes i know its very un-acurate portrayl *l*) But it got me
            interested in Edward the Black Prince wich led me to researching the
            goings on in the time....

            Medieval and renaissance costume Medieval times Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

          • Aksham
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 27, 2005
              My advice is always this: pick the culture and time period whose clothes you wish to afford, sew, wear and maintain.

              So, at this point, I'd suggest looking up clothing from the two eras and considering which style you prefer.

              Good luck!
              Kate

              Tia <teedle77@...> wrote:
              Ask yourself if there are any cultures in which you are
              particularly
              > interested (you can even think about modern ones). then, do research
              > on that particular culture in whatever time period you pick. If
              > you're not sure about the time period, see what you can find about
              > its history.

              I heartily Agree, or pick a person in history you are interested
              in...My self became interested in the 1300's after watching "A Knights
              Tale" (Yes i know its very un-acurate portrayl *l*) But it got me
              interested in Edward the Black Prince wich led me to researching the
              goings on in the time....

              Medieval and renaissance costume Medieval times Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

              Medieval time dinner and tournament

            • Amy Cox
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 27, 2005
                Oops, sent before I'd finished my thought. Also, don't let construction
                scare you away. Although I did pick my culture partially on ease of
                construction, I've learned a great deal about clothing, design and sewing
                since. I'd never sewn a garment without a pattern, drafted a pattern or
                even sewn garb. But in just a week and a half, I have half the garb I
                need for an event and I still have almost two weeks. ;)

                That being said, if you are a beginner seamstress/ter, look for patterns
                with mostly straight lines, few if any darts or strange seams, and make
                good use of gores and gussets for shaping. They're so much simpler!

              • exoselfportrait
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 27, 2005
                  >My advice is always this: pick the culture and time period whose
                  >clothes you wish to afford, sew, wear and maintain.

                  I don't know if I entirely agree with this sentiment. If I had done
                  this, I would never have chosen a culture where silks were worn
                  predominately (almost to the exclusion of everything else) and also
                  wouldn't have found a wonderful dealer of silks at about $5 a yard in
                  rich colors. I say decide culture, then time period, then
                  class/occupation if you like, and then go on the hunt for reasonable
                  facsimiles to fabrics, patterns and trims available for that
                  time/place/class. Then you can find dealers that sell a dozen metal
                  buttons for $3 and "gold" trim for 30 cents a yard. ;)
                  --

                  Sorry for the switcheroo, changed my email address, hehe.
                • Tia
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 28, 2005
                    I dont remember any exact sites, But I googled under"Edward the Black
                    Prince" ....
                    http://www.britannia.com/bios/royals/blckprnc.html this one had a nice
                    overview of what/where
                    http://historymedren.about.com/library/who/blwwedbp.htm another nice
                    overview
                    Most sites seem to have the same info....

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 28, 2005
                      I havce no sewing machine so my first "garb" will be a Chamise loaned to me, and a bunch of stuff found at the local goodwill. . I found 2 wedding vails and and doing some fun, cutting on them and sewing by had silk flowers....if worst comes to worse you can all put a potato sack over me ( two holes for eyes please:)

                      Amy Cox <scarybunny@...> wrote:Oops, sent before I'd finished my thought. Also, don't let construction
                      scare you away. Although I did pick my culture partially on ease of
                      construction, I've learned a great deal about clothing, design and sewing
                      since. I'd never sewn a garment without a pattern, drafted a pattern or
                      even sewn garb. But in just a week and a half, I have half the garb I
                      need for an event and I still have almost two weeks. ;)

                      That being said, if you are a beginner seamstress/ter, look for patterns
                      with mostly straight lines, few if any darts or strange seams, and make
                      good use of gores and gussets for shaping. They're so much simpler!

                      Medieval and renaissance costume Medieval times Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

                      ---------------------------------

                    • Patrick Callahan
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 28, 2005
                        What type of armor did Irishmen in the 1440's use ?

                        Lost and Confused
                      • Amy Cox
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 28, 2005
                          An ebay vendor, actually. The name of the store is Oregon Silver and the
                          colors... WOW. Plus, very color fast. Well, the red bled A LOT, but it
                          didn't bleed out (it's still just as rich as when I bought it) He is,
                          however, on vacation through the end of the month, so you won't see anything
                          for sale right now. I'd say give it until the 1st or 2nd of October.
                          He sells in 2yd batches, minimum, but if you request it, you could get
                          greater yardages (say 10 to 15 yds). There are buy it now options, as well
                          as auctions. The buy it now prices are very reasonable (thus the $5/yd).
                          Also, for anyone else out there, check out Villa Novella for stupendous
                          prices on buttons. A good deal of her buttons sell at $3 a dozen, up to $5 a
                          dozen. Some are metal, some are plastic, nearly all are appropriate for
                          reenactors. Also, she ships fast and ships first class mail so the prices
                          are good there. AND it's $3 for the first item, and NO additional charge for
                          added items.
                          Okay, done advertising lol. I've just been so happy with both of these
                          vendors, I gotta share. ;)
                          Oh, lest I forget, don't forget to check out
                          dharmatrading.com<http://dharmatrading.com>.
                          Most of their stuff is undyed, but the prices are phenomenal.