Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hello...

  • Sydney Walker Freedman
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 21, 2005

      > On Wednesday 21 September 2005 20:30, Sydney Walker Freedman wrote:
      >

      > What a great discussion thread! Thanks for sharing!
      >
      > A former co-worker of mine is married to a lady who is blind, and my
      > lady and I had the privilege of hosting the two of them at their very
      > first SCA event. She was absolutely fascinated, and they had a great time.
      > I would remind sighted folks that feasts taste great regardless of whether
      > or not you can see them, and bards sing to the ears, not the eyes. :-)
      Sighted people have told me that they sometimes don't realize how good
      something tastes until they have eaten it without looking at it. How
      about a feast under blindfold? :0 By the way, i'm a bard. im a music
      history student at St. olaf College (nordley in the SCA).

      > The high point of the day for her, and a very special moment for me
      > because I got to share it with her, was when we introduced her to the
      > fighting. She had heard tales of armor and weapons, but of course in a
      > museum you can't touch and hold. I wasn't fighting that day, but helped
      > round up a couple of friends who were. We let her touch the armor on
      > other people, try it on, and hold and (carefully) swing the rattan
      > weapons.
      > She absolutely lit up, and said that this made real for her all the things
      > she had read in books. She had never touched chainmail or a helm or an
      > articulated joint before, and it was wonderful to watch her experience
      > these things for the first time.

      i have had similar experiences.

      > I've been in the SCA for fifteen years, and will always remember this
      > moment
      > as one of the best times of my SCA life. Playing in the SCA is fun, but
      > experiencing the SCA from the viewpoint of a new member is one of the most
      > wonderful feelings for those of us who've been doing this a while. It's
      > also what makes being on this newcomers' list such fun. This is a hobby
      > that just begs to be shared with new friends!
      Amen!

      > Welcome to the list, and to the SCA, Lady Sydney!
      Thank you!

      > Justin
      >
      > --
      > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::;::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
      > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two
      > keys fesswise reversed sable.

      pax Christi,
      lady Cecilia

      P.S. I find it funny (sorry; I have a warped sense of humor) that my
      mundane name is a period byname.

      > Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio) http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      > justin@... PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

      > Medieval and renaissance costume