Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hello...

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 21 6:50 PM
      On Wednesday 21 September 2005 20:30, Sydney Walker Freedman wrote:
      > There are plenty of things in a SCA atmosphere that can be heard,
      > tasted, felt, etc. just like the world in general.

      What a great discussion thread! Thanks for sharing!

      A former co-worker of mine is married to a lady who is blind, and my
      lady and I had the privilege of hosting the two of them at their very
      first SCA event. She was absolutely fascinated, and they had a great time.
      I would remind sighted folks that feasts taste great regardless of whether
      or not you can see them, and bards sing to the ears, not the eyes. :-)

      The high point of the day for her, and a very special moment for me
      because I got to share it with her, was when we introduced her to the
      fighting. She had heard tales of armor and weapons, but of course in a
      museum you can't touch and hold. I wasn't fighting that day, but helped
      round up a couple of friends who were. We let her touch the armor on
      other people, try it on, and hold and (carefully) swing the rattan weapons.
      She absolutely lit up, and said that this made real for her all the things
      she had read in books. She had never touched chainmail or a helm or an
      articulated joint before, and it was wonderful to watch her experience
      these things for the first time.

      I've been in the SCA for fifteen years, and will always remember this moment
      as one of the best times of my SCA life. Playing in the SCA is fun, but
      experiencing the SCA from the viewpoint of a new member is one of the most
      wonderful feelings for those of us who've been doing this a while. It's
      also what makes being on this newcomers' list such fun. This is a hobby
      that just begs to be shared with new friends!

      Welcome to the list, and to the SCA, Lady Sydney!

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • Sydney Walker Freedman
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 21 10:57 PM

        > On Wednesday 21 September 2005 20:30, Sydney Walker Freedman wrote:
        >

        > What a great discussion thread! Thanks for sharing!
        >
        > A former co-worker of mine is married to a lady who is blind, and my
        > lady and I had the privilege of hosting the two of them at their very
        > first SCA event. She was absolutely fascinated, and they had a great time.
        > I would remind sighted folks that feasts taste great regardless of whether
        > or not you can see them, and bards sing to the ears, not the eyes. :-)
        Sighted people have told me that they sometimes don't realize how good
        something tastes until they have eaten it without looking at it. How
        about a feast under blindfold? :0 By the way, i'm a bard. im a music
        history student at St. olaf College (nordley in the SCA).

        > The high point of the day for her, and a very special moment for me
        > because I got to share it with her, was when we introduced her to the
        > fighting. She had heard tales of armor and weapons, but of course in a
        > museum you can't touch and hold. I wasn't fighting that day, but helped
        > round up a couple of friends who were. We let her touch the armor on
        > other people, try it on, and hold and (carefully) swing the rattan
        > weapons.
        > She absolutely lit up, and said that this made real for her all the things
        > she had read in books. She had never touched chainmail or a helm or an
        > articulated joint before, and it was wonderful to watch her experience
        > these things for the first time.

        i have had similar experiences.

        > I've been in the SCA for fifteen years, and will always remember this
        > moment
        > as one of the best times of my SCA life. Playing in the SCA is fun, but
        > experiencing the SCA from the viewpoint of a new member is one of the most
        > wonderful feelings for those of us who've been doing this a while. It's
        > also what makes being on this newcomers' list such fun. This is a hobby
        > that just begs to be shared with new friends!
        Amen!

        > Welcome to the list, and to the SCA, Lady Sydney!
        Thank you!

        > Justin
        >
        > --
        > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::;::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
        > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two
        > keys fesswise reversed sable.

        pax Christi,
        lady Cecilia

        P.S. I find it funny (sorry; I have a warped sense of humor) that my
        mundane name is a period byname.

        > Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio) http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        > justin@... PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

        > Medieval and renaissance costume