Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hello from a "newbie"

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 12, 2005
      On Monday 12 September 2005 22:45, Dana Darr wrote:
      > Hello to Everyone!
      >
      > I've hovered at the peripheries of the SCA for a number of years,
      > longing for the time and resources needed to be able to participate.
      > I finally have both of the above at once!

      Welcome!

      > Orestrina
      > (Dana Darr, Columbus, Ohio)

      You may already know this, but in case you don't....

      Your local group is called Tirnewydd, and it's part of the larger Barony of
      Middle Marches.

      Tirnewydd http://www.midrealm.org/scacolumbus/
      Middle Marches http://www.midrealm.org/midmarch/

      If you feel like coming to an event, and are willing to make a two-hour drive,
      my local barony (Barony of Brendoken, http://brendoken.org/) is hosting its
      baronial championships this coming weekend in North Canton, Ohio. The event
      isn't just for the local barony -- there will be plenty of activities for
      the populace at large. If you can make it, please look me up and say hello!

      P.S. -- The next Middle Kingdom Coronation will be held right in your locale!
      Their Highnesses Edmund and Kateryn, the next King and Queen, happen
      to live in Columbus area. Coronation happens October 1.
      More details here: http://reddragon.ws/

      Welcome to the SCA! I don't think you'll be bored. :-)

      Kind regards,

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • Willie Walter
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 18, 2005
        Greetings, Orestrina!

        --- Dana Darr <orestrinadelrossi@...> wrote:

        > Now if I
        > can just keep
        > from trying to do "everything" at once...

        Now *there's* a challenge! :)

        > I have found a plethora of places to get
        > good info on the
        > construction of garb, but are there groups for
        > particular crafts and
        > skills?

        Definitely! Do a yahoogroups search on SCA + just
        about any craft, culture, period, modern geographical
        area, etc., etc. I have a raging case of "hobby of the
        week syndrome," so I'm on LOTS of lists! ;) Topics
        from authenticity to various string crafts to camping
        to Old Irish to herbalism to Norse topics to garb to
        natural dyes to... ;)

        > Are there many SCAdians who assume more
        > than one personna?

        Absolutely! Personally, I've only worked out one
        persona story so far, and lots of my costuming efforts
        are geared to her (10th c Irish widow living in
        Dublin's "Viking" community). But I also do a bit of
        traveling between times and cultures, depending on
        comfort (hot humid summers led me to early Roman and
        Greek styles), what catches my eye (my friend's
        Moorish tunics look *really* comfy) and new things I
        want to try (such as a late-period authentic Irish
        gown for next 12th Night).

        Okay, two questions down. What's next? ;)

        Yours in service,
        Lady Grainne ingen Lugdach
        Shire of Roxbury Mill
        Atlantia

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Janet
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 18, 2005
          Lots of people seem to pick one persona, but wear
          clothes (try to keep one culture and time period per
          outfit, but other wise it's all good) from other
          cultures and even time periods. It's one of those
          handy things about the SCA, just because you're 12th
          century french doesn't mean you can wear mongolian
          garb or 15th cent english just because you want to. A
          persona is just your primary emphasis. Some people do
          research multiple personas, but it's kind of hard to
          keep multiple names (especially the names) and
          personas straight most of the time.

          > > Are there many SCAdians who assume more
          > > than one personna?
          >
          > Absolutely! Personally, I've only worked out one
          > persona story so far, and lots of my costuming
          > efforts
          > are geared to her (10th c Irish widow living in
          > Dublin's "Viking" community). But I also do a bit of
          > traveling between times and cultures, depending on
          > comfort (hot humid summers led me to early Roman and
          > Greek styles), what catches my eye (my friend's
          > Moorish tunics look *really* comfy) and new things I
          > want to try (such as a late-period authentic Irish
          > gown for next 12th Night).
          >
          > Okay, two questions down. What's next? ;)
          >
          > Yours in service,
          > Lady Grainne ingen Lugdach
          > Shire of Roxbury Mill
          > Atlantia
          >

          > __________________________________
          > http://mail.yahoo.com

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 18, 2005
            On Sunday 18 September 2005 19:10, Janet wrote:
            > It's one of those
            > handy things about the SCA, just because you're 12th
            > century french doesn't mean you can wear mongolian
            > garb or 15th cent english just because you want to.

            Agreed. :-)

            In some cases, people develop multiple personas. In other cases, they
            simply wear garb of interest, without apology (nor is one needed). Or some,
            like me, invent a story about our persona "traveling in other lands". In
            my case, my persona is an itinerant tinker, so it makes sense. I'm Byzantine
            by persona, but when I wear western European garb at events, I simply explain
            that I've learned it's better to blend in with the locals. :-)

            The choice is yours...any of the above approaches are fine.

            keys fesswise reversed sable.