Hello from a "newbie"

  • Dana Darr
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 12, 2005
      Hello to Everyone!

      I've hovered at the peripheries of the SCA for a number of years,
      longing for the time and resources needed to be able to participate.
      I finally have both of the above at once! Now if I can just keep
      from trying to do "everything" at once...

      On that note, I thought that this group might be able to give me some
      nice, even-handed feedback. From what I have read on your boards,
      this seems to be the right place to be "new" from a number of
      angles. I have seen a few postings on choosing a time period and/or
      a name, but are there also discussions herein regarding the A&S
      pursuits? I have found a plethora of places to get good info on the
      construction of garb, but are there groups for particular crafts and
      skills?

      I started a Venetian gown this summer and have been working on
      creating a Courtesan persona to "flesh" things out ;P In the past, I
      have constructed garb from various periods ranging from late medieval
      to rococo. Are there many SCAdians who assume more than one personna?

      Stopping at two questions sounds like a good idea!

      Orestrina
      (Dana Darr, Columbus, Ohio)
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 12, 2005
        On Monday 12 September 2005 22:45, Dana Darr wrote:
        > Hello to Everyone!
        >
        > I've hovered at the peripheries of the SCA for a number of years,
        > longing for the time and resources needed to be able to participate.
        > I finally have both of the above at once!

        Welcome!

        > Orestrina
        > (Dana Darr, Columbus, Ohio)

        You may already know this, but in case you don't....

        Your local group is called Tirnewydd, and it's part of the larger Barony of
        Middle Marches.

        Tirnewydd http://www.midrealm.org/scacolumbus/
        Middle Marches http://www.midrealm.org/midmarch/

        If you feel like coming to an event, and are willing to make a two-hour drive,
        my local barony (Barony of Brendoken, http://brendoken.org/) is hosting its
        baronial championships this coming weekend in North Canton, Ohio. The event
        isn't just for the local barony -- there will be plenty of activities for
        the populace at large. If you can make it, please look me up and say hello!

        P.S. -- The next Middle Kingdom Coronation will be held right in your locale!
        Their Highnesses Edmund and Kateryn, the next King and Queen, happen
        to live in Columbus area. Coronation happens October 1.
        More details here: http://reddragon.ws/

        Welcome to the SCA! I don't think you'll be bored. :-)

        Kind regards,

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Willie Walter
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 18, 2005
          Greetings, Orestrina!

          --- Dana Darr <orestrinadelrossi@...> wrote:

          > Now if I
          > can just keep
          > from trying to do "everything" at once...

          Now *there's* a challenge! :)

          > I have found a plethora of places to get
          > good info on the
          > construction of garb, but are there groups for
          > particular crafts and
          > skills?

          Definitely! Do a yahoogroups search on SCA + just
          about any craft, culture, period, modern geographical
          area, etc., etc. I have a raging case of "hobby of the
          week syndrome," so I'm on LOTS of lists! ;) Topics
          from authenticity to various string crafts to camping
          to Old Irish to herbalism to Norse topics to garb to
          natural dyes to... ;)

          > Are there many SCAdians who assume more
          > than one personna?

          Absolutely! Personally, I've only worked out one
          persona story so far, and lots of my costuming efforts
          are geared to her (10th c Irish widow living in
          Dublin's "Viking" community). But I also do a bit of
          traveling between times and cultures, depending on
          comfort (hot humid summers led me to early Roman and
          Greek styles), what catches my eye (my friend's
          Moorish tunics look *really* comfy) and new things I
          want to try (such as a late-period authentic Irish
          gown for next 12th Night).

          Okay, two questions down. What's next? ;)

          Yours in service,
          Lady Grainne ingen Lugdach
          Shire of Roxbury Mill
          Atlantia

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Janet
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 18, 2005
            Lots of people seem to pick one persona, but wear
            clothes (try to keep one culture and time period per
            outfit, but other wise it's all good) from other
            cultures and even time periods. It's one of those
            handy things about the SCA, just because you're 12th
            century french doesn't mean you can wear mongolian
            garb or 15th cent english just because you want to. A
            persona is just your primary emphasis. Some people do
            research multiple personas, but it's kind of hard to
            keep multiple names (especially the names) and
            personas straight most of the time.

            > > Are there many SCAdians who assume more
            > > than one personna?
            >
            > Absolutely! Personally, I've only worked out one
            > persona story so far, and lots of my costuming
            > efforts
            > are geared to her (10th c Irish widow living in
            > Dublin's "Viking" community). But I also do a bit of
            > traveling between times and cultures, depending on
            > comfort (hot humid summers led me to early Roman and
            > Greek styles), what catches my eye (my friend's
            > Moorish tunics look *really* comfy) and new things I
            > want to try (such as a late-period authentic Irish
            > gown for next 12th Night).
            >
            > Okay, two questions down. What's next? ;)
            >
            > Yours in service,
            > Lady Grainne ingen Lugdach
            > Shire of Roxbury Mill
            > Atlantia
            >

            > __________________________________
            > http://mail.yahoo.com

            __________________________________
            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 18, 2005
              On Sunday 18 September 2005 19:10, Janet wrote:
              > It's one of those
              > handy things about the SCA, just because you're 12th
              > century french doesn't mean you can wear mongolian
              > garb or 15th cent english just because you want to.

              Agreed. :-)

              In some cases, people develop multiple personas. In other cases, they
              simply wear garb of interest, without apology (nor is one needed). Or some,
              like me, invent a story about our persona "traveling in other lands". In
              my case, my persona is an itinerant tinker, so it makes sense. I'm Byzantine
              by persona, but when I wear western European garb at events, I simply explain
              that I've learned it's better to blend in with the locals. :-)

              The choice is yours...any of the above approaches are fine.

              keys fesswise reversed sable.