Re: [SCA Newcomers] Persona & Clothes

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
      Yes to the fabric store (don't know where you're at
      but Jo Anne Fabrics runs 50% off coupons in there ads
      every couple weeks or so, so get on the mailing list
      and this will make your garb much cheaper. You might
      also find lengths of wool at the flee market, garage
      sales, etc. (old military blankets from the army navy
      stores make good cloaks)

      This is a site linked from the SCA homepage.
      http://www.kalani.net/KiltPleating101.htm
      It gives some good starting instructions on how to
      pleat your kilt. If you're lazy like my boyfriend and
      don't want to have to pleat it everytime you wear it,
      lay it out and pleat it on the floor, then sew a
      straight line stitch across it where your belt should
      sit if you were wearing the kilt (basically make a
      permanent belt line to hold the pleats in loosely.)
      Just don't stitch each pleat in at the top like a
      modern kilt (or school girl skirt)...only one single
      line from left to right across the pleats. Then you
      just put on the kilt and put your belt right over the
      line of stitching. No one will ever know that it's
      sewn unless you tell them and getting going in the
      morning won't take nearly as long. (let me know if
      that part was confusing and I'll try to explain it
      better)
      ~Isabel

      http://mail.yahoo.com