Re: [SCA Newcomers] Persona & Clothes

  • Dave & Megan Anhorn
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
      Pop over to the fabric store and buy about 7-9 yds of fabric. Get someone to show you how to fold it. Voila.

      Gwenhyfar
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
        Yes to the fabric store (don't know where you're at
        but Jo Anne Fabrics runs 50% off coupons in there ads
        every couple weeks or so, so get on the mailing list
        and this will make your garb much cheaper. You might
        also find lengths of wool at the flee market, garage
        sales, etc. (old military blankets from the army navy
        stores make good cloaks)

        This is a site linked from the SCA homepage.
        http://www.kalani.net/KiltPleating101.htm
        It gives some good starting instructions on how to
        pleat your kilt. If you're lazy like my boyfriend and
        don't want to have to pleat it everytime you wear it,
        lay it out and pleat it on the floor, then sew a
        straight line stitch across it where your belt should
        sit if you were wearing the kilt (basically make a
        permanent belt line to hold the pleats in loosely.)
        Just don't stitch each pleat in at the top like a
        modern kilt (or school girl skirt)...only one single
        line from left to right across the pleats. Then you
        just put on the kilt and put your belt right over the
        line of stitching. No one will ever know that it's
        sewn unless you tell them and getting going in the
        morning won't take nearly as long. (let me know if
        that part was confusing and I'll try to explain it
        better)
        ~Isabel

        http://mail.yahoo.com