Re: [SCA Newcomers] Persona & Clothes

  • mccobalt@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
      Where do you find kilts like you are referring to?

      Thanks!

      John

      Ok, regarding kilts, if you look at the garb links off
      the main SCA website, you will see many websites
      showing both sides of this debate. As I can follow, it
      is acceptable to wear kilts in the SCA. (One of the
      sites has a picture of small carved figurines wearing
      a kilt type garment that dates back to period, amongst
      other info). I think the important thing here is the
      styling of the kilt. It is not period to wear a modern
      kilt. It is period to wear a long piece of wool
      gathered into more loose pleats and then belted at the
      waist. Sporans (spellilng?) are not period nor are
      specific clan tartans. They wore what they had in
      those days. Solid colored wool is good, and generic
      plaids work well too. (my boyfriend has a purple and
      green plaid kilt that looks great) Just remember
      period style...not modern.
      ~Isabel

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Dave & Megan Anhorn
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
        Pop over to the fabric store and buy about 7-9 yds of fabric. Get someone to show you how to fold it. Voila.

        Gwenhyfar

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
          Yes to the fabric store (don't know where you're at
          but Jo Anne Fabrics runs 50% off coupons in there ads
          every couple weeks or so, so get on the mailing list
          and this will make your garb much cheaper. You might
          also find lengths of wool at the flee market, garage
          sales, etc. (old military blankets from the army navy
          stores make good cloaks)

          This is a site linked from the SCA homepage.
          http://www.kalani.net/KiltPleating101.htm
          It gives some good starting instructions on how to
          pleat your kilt. If you're lazy like my boyfriend and
          don't want to have to pleat it everytime you wear it,
          lay it out and pleat it on the floor, then sew a
          straight line stitch across it where your belt should
          sit if you were wearing the kilt (basically make a
          permanent belt line to hold the pleats in loosely.)
          Just don't stitch each pleat in at the top like a
          modern kilt (or school girl skirt)...only one single
          line from left to right across the pleats. Then you
          just put on the kilt and put your belt right over the
          line of stitching. No one will ever know that it's
          sewn unless you tell them and getting going in the
          morning won't take nearly as long. (let me know if
          that part was confusing and I'll try to explain it
          better)
          ~Isabel

          http://mail.yahoo.com