Re: [SCA Newcomers] Persona & Clothes

  • mccobalt@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
      Thanks!

      Is your persona Gaelic?

      John

      Greetings,and like you i come from the highlands to and back then most did'nt have shoes most wore aminal fur.but i think that a good leather boot would work good or maybe some moc's good luck.

      mccobalt <mccobalt@...> wrote:Greetings! Like so many in the passed few days I'm joining SCA! I've
      spent the last week researching my family tree, Ireland, and Scotland
      and have decided (I think) on a persona. I'm chosing a 1406 Scottish
      Highlands persona. Eoin mac Domhnaill. My family name (McConnell)
      hails from Ireland (and Scotland) and is part of the Highland Clan
      Donald (Macconnell is a sept of Clan Donald.) Anyway... I think I've
      come up with a persona and now the search and understanding of clothing
      for Highland Scots in the 1400 timeframe. I know kilts are 17C -- lots
      of research seems to support this. Would a Tunic be best? (I bought a
      shirt and pants off of--ekk--ebay before deciding on this persona.)
      One other question. What would I wear on my feet. I've been so
      focused on the kilt debate that I had not considererd my feet. Anybody
      that can help me would be greatly appreciated. Peace and long days to
      you!

      Medieval and renaissance costume Medieval times Medieval time dinner and tournament

      ---------------------------------

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Janet
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
        Ok, regarding kilts, if you look at the garb links off
        the main SCA website, you will see many websites
        showing both sides of this debate. As I can follow, it
        is acceptable to wear kilts in the SCA. (One of the
        sites has a picture of small carved figurines wearing
        a kilt type garment that dates back to period, amongst
        other info). I think the important thing here is the
        styling of the kilt. It is not period to wear a modern
        kilt. It is period to wear a long piece of wool
        gathered into more loose pleats and then belted at the
        waist. Sporans (spellilng?) are not period nor are
        specific clan tartans. They wore what they had in
        those days. Solid colored wool is good, and generic
        plaids work well too. (my boyfriend has a purple and
        green plaid kilt that looks great) Just remember
        period style...not modern.
        ~Isabel

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • mccobalt@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
          Where do you find kilts like you are referring to?

          Thanks!

          John

[...]

        • Dave & Megan Anhorn
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
            Pop over to the fabric store and buy about 7-9 yds of fabric. Get someone to show you how to fold it. Voila.

            Gwenhyfar

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
              Yes to the fabric store (don't know where you're at
              but Jo Anne Fabrics runs 50% off coupons in there ads
              every couple weeks or so, so get on the mailing list
              and this will make your garb much cheaper. You might
              also find lengths of wool at the flee market, garage
              sales, etc. (old military blankets from the army navy
              stores make good cloaks)

              This is a site linked from the SCA homepage.
              http://www.kalani.net/KiltPleating101.htm
              It gives some good starting instructions on how to
              pleat your kilt. If you're lazy like my boyfriend and
              don't want to have to pleat it everytime you wear it,
              lay it out and pleat it on the floor, then sew a
              straight line stitch across it where your belt should
              sit if you were wearing the kilt (basically make a
              permanent belt line to hold the pleats in loosely.)
              Just don't stitch each pleat in at the top like a
              modern kilt (or school girl skirt)...only one single
              line from left to right across the pleats. Then you
              just put on the kilt and put your belt right over the
              line of stitching. No one will ever know that it's
              sewn unless you tell them and getting going in the
              morning won't take nearly as long. (let me know if
              that part was confusing and I'll try to explain it
              better)
              ~Isabel

              http://mail.yahoo.com