Re: [SCA Newcomers] Persona & Clothes

  • Marco and Jitka Sainte
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2005
      mccobalt wrote:

      > Greetings! Like so many in the passed few days I'm joining SCA! I've
      > spent the last week researching my family tree, Ireland, and Scotland
      > and have decided (I think) on a persona. I'm chosing a 1406 Scottish
      > Highlands persona. Eoin mac Domhnaill. My family name (McConnell)
      > hails from Ireland (and Scotland) and is part of the Highland Clan
      > Donald (Macconnell is a sept of Clan Donald.) Anyway... I think I've
      > come up with a persona and now the search and understanding of clothing
      > for Highland Scots in the 1400 timeframe. I know kilts are 17C -- lots
      > of research seems to support this. Would a Tunic be best? (I bought a
      > shirt and pants off of--ekk--ebay before deciding on this persona.)
      > One other question. What would I wear on my feet. I've been so
      > focused on the kilt debate that I had not considererd my feet. Anybody
      > that can help me would be greatly appreciated. Peace and long days to
      > you!

      From what I've seen, and I could be wrong, it seems like the shoes they
      use for Irish dancing are appropriate as well as comfortable.
      http://www.highlandxpress.com/danshoe.html <--- pictures

      Found an article:
      http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~wew/celt-clothing/ei-s-shoes.html Hope that
      helps, as well. I was referring to what he calls the Lucas type 2. Also,
      I'd recommend checking out Stefan's Florilegium for info, as well. :)
      http://www.florilegium.org/

      Hope this all helps. :)

      Fiora

      P. S. Remeber, Google is your friend. :) (Not trying to be rude, just a
      reminder. I found all this in a matter of about 5 minutes searching for
      "Scottish shoes". :) )

    • mccobalt@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
        Thanks!

        Is your persona Gaelic?

        John

        Greetings,and like you i come from the highlands to and back then most did'nt have shoes most wore aminal fur.but i think that a good leather boot would work good or maybe some moc's good luck.

        mccobalt <mccobalt@...> wrote:Greetings! Like so many in the passed few days I'm joining SCA! I've
        spent the last week researching my family tree, Ireland, and Scotland
        and have decided (I think) on a persona. I'm chosing a 1406 Scottish
        Highlands persona. Eoin mac Domhnaill. My family name (McConnell)
        hails from Ireland (and Scotland) and is part of the Highland Clan
        Donald (Macconnell is a sept of Clan Donald.) Anyway... I think I've
        come up with a persona and now the search and understanding of clothing
        for Highland Scots in the 1400 timeframe. I know kilts are 17C -- lots
        of research seems to support this. Would a Tunic be best? (I bought a
        shirt and pants off of--ekk--ebay before deciding on this persona.)
        One other question. What would I wear on my feet. I've been so
        focused on the kilt debate that I had not considererd my feet. Anybody
        that can help me would be greatly appreciated. Peace and long days to
        you!

        Medieval and renaissance costume Medieval times Medieval time dinner and tournament

        ---------------------------------

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Janet
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
          Ok, regarding kilts, if you look at the garb links off
          the main SCA website, you will see many websites
          showing both sides of this debate. As I can follow, it
          is acceptable to wear kilts in the SCA. (One of the
          sites has a picture of small carved figurines wearing
          a kilt type garment that dates back to period, amongst
          other info). I think the important thing here is the
          styling of the kilt. It is not period to wear a modern
          kilt. It is period to wear a long piece of wool
          gathered into more loose pleats and then belted at the
          waist. Sporans (spellilng?) are not period nor are
          specific clan tartans. They wore what they had in
          those days. Solid colored wool is good, and generic
          plaids work well too. (my boyfriend has a purple and
          green plaid kilt that looks great) Just remember
          period style...not modern.
          ~Isabel

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • mccobalt@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
            Where do you find kilts like you are referring to?

            Thanks!

            John

[...]

          • Dave & Megan Anhorn
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
              Pop over to the fabric store and buy about 7-9 yds of fabric. Get someone to show you how to fold it. Voila.

              Gwenhyfar

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
                Yes to the fabric store (don't know where you're at
                but Jo Anne Fabrics runs 50% off coupons in there ads
                every couple weeks or so, so get on the mailing list
                and this will make your garb much cheaper. You might
                also find lengths of wool at the flee market, garage
                sales, etc. (old military blankets from the army navy
                stores make good cloaks)

                This is a site linked from the SCA homepage.
                http://www.kalani.net/KiltPleating101.htm
                It gives some good starting instructions on how to
                pleat your kilt. If you're lazy like my boyfriend and
                don't want to have to pleat it everytime you wear it,
                lay it out and pleat it on the floor, then sew a
                straight line stitch across it where your belt should
                sit if you were wearing the kilt (basically make a
                permanent belt line to hold the pleats in loosely.)
                Just don't stitch each pleat in at the top like a
                modern kilt (or school girl skirt)...only one single
                line from left to right across the pleats. Then you
                just put on the kilt and put your belt right over the
                line of stitching. No one will ever know that it's
                sewn unless you tell them and getting going in the
                morning won't take nearly as long. (let me know if
                that part was confusing and I'll try to explain it
                better)
                ~Isabel

                http://mail.yahoo.com