Re: [SCA Newcomers] Persona & Clothes

  • david panozzo
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2005
      Greetings,and like you i come from the highlands to and back then most did'nt have shoes most wore aminal fur.but i think that a good leather boot would work good or maybe some moc's good luck.

      mccobalt <mccobalt@...> wrote:Greetings! Like so many in the passed few days I'm joining SCA! I've
      spent the last week researching my family tree, Ireland, and Scotland
      and have decided (I think) on a persona. I'm chosing a 1406 Scottish
      Highlands persona. Eoin mac Domhnaill. My family name (McConnell)
      hails from Ireland (and Scotland) and is part of the Highland Clan
      Donald (Macconnell is a sept of Clan Donald.) Anyway... I think I've
      come up with a persona and now the search and understanding of clothing
      for Highland Scots in the 1400 timeframe. I know kilts are 17C -- lots
      of research seems to support this. Would a Tunic be best? (I bought a
      shirt and pants off of--ekk--ebay before deciding on this persona.)
      One other question. What would I wear on my feet. I've been so
      focused on the kilt debate that I had not considererd my feet. Anybody
      that can help me would be greatly appreciated. Peace and long days to
      you!

      Medieval and renaissance costume Medieval times Medieval time dinner and tournament

      ---------------------------------

    • Marco and Jitka Sainte
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11, 2005
        mccobalt wrote:

        > Greetings! Like so many in the passed few days I'm joining SCA! I've
        > spent the last week researching my family tree, Ireland, and Scotland
        > and have decided (I think) on a persona. I'm chosing a 1406 Scottish
        > Highlands persona. Eoin mac Domhnaill. My family name (McConnell)
        > hails from Ireland (and Scotland) and is part of the Highland Clan
        > Donald (Macconnell is a sept of Clan Donald.) Anyway... I think I've
        > come up with a persona and now the search and understanding of clothing
        > for Highland Scots in the 1400 timeframe. I know kilts are 17C -- lots
        > of research seems to support this. Would a Tunic be best? (I bought a
        > shirt and pants off of--ekk--ebay before deciding on this persona.)
        > One other question. What would I wear on my feet. I've been so
        > focused on the kilt debate that I had not considererd my feet. Anybody
        > that can help me would be greatly appreciated. Peace and long days to
        > you!

        From what I've seen, and I could be wrong, it seems like the shoes they
        use for Irish dancing are appropriate as well as comfortable.
        http://www.highlandxpress.com/danshoe.html <--- pictures

        Found an article:
        http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~wew/celt-clothing/ei-s-shoes.html Hope that
        helps, as well. I was referring to what he calls the Lucas type 2. Also,
        I'd recommend checking out Stefan's Florilegium for info, as well. :)
        http://www.florilegium.org/

        Hope this all helps. :)

        Fiora

        P. S. Remeber, Google is your friend. :) (Not trying to be rude, just a
        reminder. I found all this in a matter of about 5 minutes searching for
        "Scottish shoes". :) )

      • mccobalt@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
          Thanks!

          Is your persona Gaelic?

          John

[...]

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Janet
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
            Ok, regarding kilts, if you look at the garb links off
            the main SCA website, you will see many websites
            showing both sides of this debate. As I can follow, it
            is acceptable to wear kilts in the SCA. (One of the
            sites has a picture of small carved figurines wearing
            a kilt type garment that dates back to period, amongst
            other info). I think the important thing here is the
            styling of the kilt. It is not period to wear a modern
            kilt. It is period to wear a long piece of wool
            gathered into more loose pleats and then belted at the
            waist. Sporans (spellilng?) are not period nor are
            specific clan tartans. They wore what they had in
            those days. Solid colored wool is good, and generic
            plaids work well too. (my boyfriend has a purple and
            green plaid kilt that looks great) Just remember
            period style...not modern.
            ~Isabel

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • mccobalt@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
              Where do you find kilts like you are referring to?

              Thanks!

              John

[...]

            • Dave & Megan Anhorn
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
                Pop over to the fabric store and buy about 7-9 yds of fabric. Get someone to show you how to fold it. Voila.

                Gwenhyfar

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
                  Yes to the fabric store (don't know where you're at
                  but Jo Anne Fabrics runs 50% off coupons in there ads
                  every couple weeks or so, so get on the mailing list
                  and this will make your garb much cheaper. You might
                  also find lengths of wool at the flee market, garage
                  sales, etc. (old military blankets from the army navy
                  stores make good cloaks)

                  This is a site linked from the SCA homepage.
                  http://www.kalani.net/KiltPleating101.htm
                  It gives some good starting instructions on how to
                  pleat your kilt. If you're lazy like my boyfriend and
                  don't want to have to pleat it everytime you wear it,
                  lay it out and pleat it on the floor, then sew a
                  straight line stitch across it where your belt should
                  sit if you were wearing the kilt (basically make a
                  permanent belt line to hold the pleats in loosely.)
                  Just don't stitch each pleat in at the top like a
                  modern kilt (or school girl skirt)...only one single
                  line from left to right across the pleats. Then you
                  just put on the kilt and put your belt right over the
                  line of stitching. No one will ever know that it's
                  sewn unless you tell them and getting going in the
                  morning won't take nearly as long. (let me know if
                  that part was confusing and I'll try to explain it
                  better)
                  ~Isabel

                  http://mail.yahoo.com