Garb question

  • Melissa
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 10, 2005
      Hello everyone,
      I am new to the SCA, and I have picked 15th century Italy for my time
      period. I'm going to a newcomers festival in a couple of weeks, and
      I'm not sure what to wear.
      I have a purple velvet "renaissance" dress from a halloween several
      years back. I pulled off all of the fake shiny trim today, and it is
      actually a good length and cut from what I've seen from paintings and
      such. I plan to take off the sleeves and redo them as the material
      used is this shiny purple stuff that looks terrible.
      I guess my question is, is that an appropriate dress for me to wear?
      I don't want to be, well, "out of my league," I guess. For some
      reason I feel like purple was only for upperclass. Is that true or is
      that even relavent?
      Sorry if I'm rambling. Thanks for any answers you may have.
      Melissa
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 11, 2005
        On Sunday 11 September 2005 01:56, Melissa wrote:
        > I guess my question is, is that an appropriate dress for me to wear?
        > I don't want to be, well, "out of my league," I guess.  For some
        > reason I feel like purple was only for upperclass.  Is that true or is
        > that even relavent?

        I can't comment on your specific Italian culture, because that's not within
        my areas of expertise. In the SCA in general, though, there is really no
        such thing as dressing too ornately for your station. Anything from the bare
        minimum garb (the corporate rules say "an attempt at pre-1600 costume", which
        covers quite a lot!) up to a hand-stitched Renaissance ensemble that took
        300 hours and several thousand dollars to make, are all acceptable.

        We are all presumed to be of noble birth[*] in the SCA, unless one chooses to
        be a peasant-class persona for the sake of historical research. No one is
        ever forced to be of low-born class. We know this isn't the way it really
        was, but this is our *hobby*, and we re-create the parts of the Middle
        Ages that were fun, not the parts that were nasty and brutish. So...unless
        you wish to be otherwise, you *are* of the upperclass. Wear what you want! :-)

        You may find that being overdressed is inconvenient for some situations. For
        example, do you want to take a messy ceramics class while wearing a beautiful
        gown that can't be laundered? Do you want to wear six layers of velvet at
        Pennsic, when it's 100F in the shade? Do you want to learn archery while
        wearing a boned corset (though people do this)? No one else will criticize
        you for wearing very beautiful, elaborate garb -- you're in fact very likely
        to get compliments -- but you will probably find that you need different
        "levels" of garb depending on the situation, just as you do in the modern
        world.

        Hope this helps!

        Justin

        [*] Note that "of noble lineage" is not the same as "being nobility". You are
        not Lady (capital L) or Baroness or Countess or Mistress or Ladyship,
        or the other noble titles, until you are awarded such status by Their
        Majesties the King and Queen. But you are "a lady" (lower-case L) or
        "m'lady" or "my lady" -- i.e., a woman of good lineage from a noble
        family line -- from the very start. So you are considered by the
        ruling class to be worthy of their company and respect, even though you
        have not personally been given your own title yet.

        In the SCA, we still address someone without an Award of Arms as "my
        lord XYZ" or "lady ABC" or "good m'lord XYZ or "good m'lady ABC" or
        some similar unofficial-but-respectful title, to reflect that fact that
        we are all presumed to be "gentle lords and ladies of these Current
        Middle Ages." :-)

        Newcomers often ask, "How do I know how to address people whose title
        I don't know?" The answer is easy: Lord and Lady may be used as courtesy
        titles for anyone not wearing a crown, and Your Excellency can be used
        as a courtesy title for anyone who *is* wearing a crown, until you know
        their correct honorific. If you get it wrong, they will either not mind
        at all, because the title you used is still respectful and polite, or they
        may gently correct you, in which case you now know their title. As long as
        you are courteous, anyone to whom you speak should respond with courtesy
        as well.

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Maria
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 11, 2005
          First of all, Welcome.

          Now, about your question. Personally, around here, the only thing we ask of Newcomers is that they make an ATTEMPT at period clothing. So, yes your dress is fine. If you want to make alterations to it, that's fine. But you're fine as far as I'm concerned.

          You may want to ask some of the experienced members (especially someone who's known for garb making) if they can help you to alter it later to make it more period.

          Maria

          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 13, 2005
            Dear Melissa,

            I would say that traditionally, like in the old middle ages, purple was
            reserved for royals and the upper-class, but not in our time. At the SCA
            all are consider gentles, meaning all are people of means. You can wear
            what ever colors you want therefore with out worries about class. Also I
            would echo the say "an attempt at medieval garb" most people are not that
            critical of garb. Especially on newcomers. Some people may be studying the
            old ways of clothing making and be available to teach it, but they wont say
            yours is wrong. Because it isn't. Not for the SCA.

            Thanks,

            Lost And Confused
          • Maria
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 13, 2005
              Actually purple wasn't "reserved" for the royals and upper classes. The purple dye was VERY expensive and ordinary people couldn't afford purple cloth. That's the reason it has always been assumed that purple was reserved for royals. Only the royals could afford it.

              Maria

              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 13, 2005
                On Tuesday 13 September 2005 12:46, Maria wrote:
                > Actually purple wasn't "reserved" for the royals and upper classes.

                One particular shade of purple was reserved for the Imperial family during
                certain periods in Byzantine culture...as were red shoes (believe it or not).

                That doesn't contradict what you say, because the questioner was asking about
                European culture, but I wanted to share the information just for fun. :-)

                Justin
                Whose persona is proud to live in Rome (which you westerners call Byzantium)

                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 13, 2005
                  Thanks I didn't realize that. I knew that the purple dye was VERY expensive because it came from a sea creature of some sort (I don't actually know what creature). But I don't know much about Byzantine culture. Thanks for the info.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 13, 2005
                    On Tuesday 13 September 2005 17:45, Maria wrote:
                    > But I don't know much about Byzantine culture.

                    The purple they reserved for royalty was apparently not what we think of
                    today as "purple", but rather only the very deep, almost dark-blue shade
                    that was very hard to attain in period. Or so I'm told. I've not see an
                    extant garment in that particular shade personally.

                    keys fesswise reversed sable.

                  • Janet
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 13, 2005
                      As always, Justin keeps us on our toes with his handy
                      facts. :)

                      --- Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>
                      wrote:

                      > On Tuesday 13 September 2005 12:46, Maria wrote:
                      > > Actually purple wasn't "reserved" for the royals
                      > and upper classes.
                      >
                      > One particular shade of purple was reserved for the
                      > Imperial family during
                      > certain periods in Byzantine culture...as were red
                      > shoes (believe it or not).
                      >
                      > That doesn't contradict what you say, because the
                      > questioner was asking about
                      > European culture, but I wanted to share the
                      > information just for fun. :-)
                      >
                      > Justin
                      > Whose persona is proud to live in Rome (which you
                      > westerners call Byzantium)
                      >
                      > --
                      > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
                      > <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
                      > Maistor Iustinos Tekton called Justin (Scott
                      > Courtney)
                      > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief
                      > dovetailed Or two
                      > keys fesswise reversed sable.
                      >
                      > Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio)
                      > http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                      > justin@... PGP Public Key at
                      > http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

                      Yahoo! for Good
                    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 13, 2005
                        On Tuesday 13 September 2005 22:27, Janet wrote:
                        > As always, Justin keeps us on our toes with his handy
                        > facts.  :)

                        One of my very few handy historical facts. It's my lady wife who is the
                        history wiz in the family, not me. :-)

                        keys fesswise reversed sable.

                      • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 15, 2005
                          > Thanks I didn't realize that. I knew that the purple dye was VERY
                          > expensive because it came from a sea creature of some sort (I
                          > don't actually know what creature). But I don't know much about
                          > Byzantine culture. Thanks for the info.

                          Tyrian purple (purpura) comes from the Murex, a kind of gastropod
                          (snail type shellfish).

                          Specifically it's made from the Murex Brandaris and Murex Trunculus
                          Here's a picture:
                          http://www.mauigateway.com/~donjusko/murexpurple.htm

                          The Dye is extracted from a small organ in the creature.
                          It takes a LOT of murex to make the dye (12000 to make 1.5 grams,
                          barely enough to dye a cloak!), which is why it was so expensive.

                          Closely related colors are shade of Scarlet and a shade of Royal Blue,
                          also made from Murex dye.
                          (the "purple" of Murex Brandaris is more red in nature than the "purple"
                          of Murex Trunculus, which was more blue - combining them yeilds a
                          deep royal purple..)
                          Treating the dye with different chemicals and mordants can change
                          the shade subtly.

                          Such colors were used as "conspicuous consumption" to demonstrate
                          wealth and status.

                          Capt Elias
                          Dragonship Haven, East
                          (Stratford, CT, USA)

                          -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

                          - Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
                          There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA
                          than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

                          Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
                          Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
                          To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
                          Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
                          Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
                          Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
                          You stand upon the ravage and behold
                          A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
                          For so appears this fleet majestical,
                          Holding due course to Harfleur.
                          - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue

                          > Thanks I didn't realize that. I knew that the purple dye was VERY
                          > expensive because it came from a sea creature of some sort (I
                          > don't actually know what creature). But I don't know much about
                          > Byzantine culture. Thanks for the info.

                        • Maria
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 15, 2005
                            Thanks for that info. I wasn't sure what shellfish it was but I did know that it was something like that.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 21, 2005
                              Thanks to all those who replied with info :) Unfortunately, I didn't
                              finish the dress, so I'm not going to be able to wear it. I'll have to
                              finish it and wear it another time.
                              Melissa

                            • Becki
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 14, 2006
                                Being new to all of this, my question is this, I have
                                several very expensive ren faire outfits, and although
                                they are for the most part accurate in style, the
                                materials used are not authentic :) Also, I am going
                                to try and get into target archery and I fully inted
                                to get together a "non dress" outfit and that is
                                definatly not period for a lady. So, will there be
                                fashion police that have issues with garb, because to
                                be honest, I like the fashon for the 16 and 17th
                                centries much better lol :)

                                and women doing anything is not really period either
                                but I am not much for following such things (me and
                                Joan of Arc, of course she came to a bad end, soooo
                                lol)

                                Thanks
                                Isabella (Rebecca)

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 14, 2006
                                  > Being new to all of this, my question is this, I have
                                  > several very expensive ren faire outfits, and although
                                  > they are for the most part accurate in style, the
                                  > materials used are not authentic :) Also, I am going
                                  > to try and get into target archery and I fully inted
                                  > to get together a "non dress" outfit and that is
                                  > definatly not period for a lady. So, will there be
                                  > fashion police that have issues with garb, because to
                                  > be honest, I like the fashon for the 16 and 17th
                                  > centries much better lol :)

                                  Lots of women dress in male clothing, and it shouldn't be an issue.

                                  17th century clothing, OTOH, is an issue, at least for SCA events. The SCA
                                  stops at 1600, so 17th century clothing is out.

                                  But the 16th century is much more fun, anyway.Welcome to the dark side....

                                  Laurensa

                                  > and women doing anything is not really period either
                                  > but I am not much for following such things (me and
                                  > Joan of Arc, of course she came to a bad end, soooo
                                  > lol)
                                  >
                                  > Thanks
                                  > Isabella (Rebecca)

                                • Kristine Elliott
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 14, 2006
                                    On 3/14/06, Dianne & Greg Stucki <goofy1@...> wrote:

> [...]

                                    To some degree, that depends on the area of the SCA. Some places are
                                    more forgiving of Cavaliers than others.

                                    Scolastica

                                    --
                                    http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

                                    "I have come to the conclusion that this administration values loyalty
                                    more than anything else, more than competence or, frankly, more than
                                    the truth." Rep. Christopher Shays.
                                  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 14, 2006
                                      On Tuesday 14 March 2006 08:59, Becki wrote:
                                      > Also, I am going
                                      > to try and get into target archery and I fully inted
                                      > to get together a "non dress" outfit and that is
                                      > definatly not period for a lady.

                                      There's nothing wrong with wearing male-type garb if you want to. Alternatively,
                                      I've seen quite a few ladies doing archery in close-fitting, simple dresses
                                      that are quite authentic and yet don't have large sleeves or elaborate trim
                                      that would catch a bowstring.

                                      keys fesswise reversed sable.

                                    • Jeff Suzuki
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 14, 2006
                                        --- Becki <rebeccaatthewell_2000@...> wrote:

                                        > Being new to all of this, my question is this, I
                                        > have
                                        > several very expensive ren faire outfits, and
                                        > although
                                        > they are for the most part accurate in style, the
                                        > materials used are not authentic :)

                                        Well, gee, none of us EVER used polyester...;-)

                                        I only have two qualms about inauthentic materials (as
                                        opposed to, say, Barney print fabric...). The first
                                        is that they aren't as comfortable; it's actually
                                        gotten to the point where I can't wear synthetic
                                        fibers without itching.

                                        The other (and more serious) qualm is that they can be
                                        nasty fire hazards. Polyester, for example, will go
                                        up like a petroleum product when ignited...and melt.
                                        Cotton and linen burn and flake. Silk, the wonder
                                        fabric, self-extinguishes.

                                        > and I fully inted
                                        > to get together a "non dress" outfit and that is
                                        > definatly not period for a lady. So, will there be
                                        > fashion police that have issues with garb

                                        Probably...but they're just a very loud minority.
                                        Most of us are happy to have people participate, and
                                        if we have objections, we try to lead rather than
                                        dictate...

                                        Jeffs/etc.

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                                      • Maria
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Mar 14, 2006
                                          Becki,

                                          First of all Welcome to the SCA. You will find most people to be relatifely easygoing about garb, etc.

                                          That being said - you'll find fashion police in every group. They are the monority mostly but they are there. If they give you too much trouble, I like to say, "Well, gee if you're offering to make me some more authentic garb I really appreciate it. When can I come for a fitting?" If they are truely trying to help, they'll agree to it. If not, they'll walk away having been nicely chastized.

                                          As for the non-dress outfit, don't worry about not being period for women. We have many women who wear pants and tunics. Don't worry about it. I am a photographer and personally like to wear pants and a tunic when I'm photographing an event. And pants are period for women if you're doing a chinese persona. The women wore pants like pajama pants under their long tunics and Chuppa coats.

                                          The most important thing I can tell you is ... THIS IS A GAME!! Have fun with it.

                                          In Service to the Dream,
                                          Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici, SSG
                                          Maria Buchanan
                                          Official Worrier of House Starfire
                                          Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
                                          Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
                                          In the Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra
                                          281-433-0347

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Mar 14, 2006
                                            On Tuesday 14 March 2006 13:53, Maria wrote:
                                            > That being said - you'll find fashion police in every group.

                                            Not to disagree with your basic point, but I'd have to say they're not
                                            in *every* group. Our local shire is pretty laid back. I think a lot of
                                            this varies from one geographic region to another; here in the Marche of
                                            Alderford (Canton, Ohio), as long as you meet the basic SCA rule of
                                            "an attempt at pre-1600 costume" nobody will give you a bad time.

                                            I'm not disputing your point, just saying that I don't think the problem
                                            is quite as widespread as many newcomers assume. You were spot-on in your
                                            advice about how to handle it, though. The SCA Inc. only requires "an
                                            attempt" -- anything beyond that is at the discretion of the individual.
                                            Heck, I'm a Peer of the Realm and most of my garb looks just about the
                                            same as my garb looked the day I first joined. I respect those who work
                                            hard to make really elaborate garb -- and in fact I'm learning to sew
                                            for myself, and enjoying it -- but there will never be a day when I'm
                                            willing to spend 100+ hours making one Court outfit. I respect the skill
                                            in others, but it's not my thing.

                                            The truly sincere authenticity mavens -- and here I will point to this
                                            list's own Brangwayna as a positive example -- want to *help* others be
                                            as authentic as possible, and can teach you lots of terrific ways to have
                                            very-authentic garb without spending a fortune in time or money. People
                                            like Brangwayna (and I hope she doesn't mind being used as a favorable
                                            example) have the aim of teaching, not criticism, and in many cases the
                                            reward for them is that they genuinely have *fun* helping others learn.

                                            As for those few people who make themselves feel important by belittling
                                            others -- well, they are unworthy of notice from civilized folk
                                            such as the denizens of this list -- so mostly I just ignore them. :-)
                                            Fortunately they are, as Maria pointed out, a small minority in this large
                                            organization, and there are plenty of *nice* folk to play with!

                                            As a bit of practical advice, if you should happen to encounter a garb
                                            critic, the simple statement of "I'm new, and this is my first garb" will
                                            usually cause them to remember their courtesy. Or, you will learn that they
                                            were genuinely trying to be helpful rather than judgmental, and you may meet
                                            a new friend. Sometimes well-intentioned people just don't have much skill
                                            at phrasing. :-) To paraphrase Duke Cariadoc, "Never ascribe to malice that
                                            which can be explained by error."

                                            keys fesswise reversed sable.

                                          • elchimpster
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Mar 14, 2006
                                              Looks like Justin is all over it. ;)

                                              Honestly, the vast majority of folks are purely helpful, the few true
                                              elitists who revel in snobbery and few and far between, and honestly
                                              you may never neet one. Most branches are full of people just like
                                              you: coming to an event on a weekend to have fun, dress up in
                                              medievaloid garb, and learning to do medieval stuff better and learn
                                              something.

                                              You don't have to have perfect garb, or really anything more than an
                                              effort at garb at all, and be generally nice, and you'll get along
                                              fine at most any event anywhere. Don't worry about titles and all that
                                              "milord/ milady" is the SCAdian version of "hey you" when you don't
                                              know and it's perfectly acceptable.

                                              The rest you'll figure out by osmosis over time. No worries.

                                              Njall Tjorkilsson
                                              Riddari, Northshield
                                            • Maria
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Mar 14, 2006
                                                Good point. I shouldn't say every group, I should say in pretty much every area.

                                                Maria
                                                On Tuesday 14 March 2006 13:53, Maria wrote:
                                                > That being said - you'll find fashion police in every group.

                                                Not to disagree with your basic point, but I'd have to say they're not
                                                in *every* group. Our local shire is pretty laid back. I think a lot of
                                                this varies from one geographic region to another; here in the Marche of
                                                Alderford (Canton, Ohio), as long as you meet the basic SCA rule of
                                                "an attempt at pre-1600 costume" nobody will give you a bad time.

                                                I'm not disputing your point, just saying that I don't think the problem
                                                is quite as widespread as many newcomers assume. You were spot-on in your
                                                advice about how to handle it, though. The SCA Inc. only requires "an
                                                attempt" -- anything beyond that is at the discretion of the individual.
                                                Heck, I'm a Peer of the Realm and most of my garb looks just about the
                                                same as my garb looked the day I first joined. I respect those who work
                                                hard to make really elaborate garb -- and in fact I'm learning to sew
                                                for myself, and enjoying it -- but there will never be a day when I'm
                                                willing to spend 100+ hours making one Court outfit. I respect the skill
                                                in others, but it's not my thing.

                                                The truly sincere authenticity mavens -- and here I will point to this
                                                list's own Brangwayna as a positive example -- want to *help* others be
                                                as authentic as possible, and can teach you lots of terrific ways to have
                                                very-authentic garb without spending a fortune in time or money. People
                                                like Brangwayna (and I hope she doesn't mind being used as a favorable
                                                example) have the aim of teaching, not criticism, and in many cases the
                                                reward for them is that they genuinely have *fun* helping others learn.

                                                As for those few people who make themselves feel important by belittling
                                                others -- well, they are unworthy of notice from civilized folk
                                                such as the denizens of this list -- so mostly I just ignore them. :-)
                                                Fortunately they are, as Maria pointed out, a small minority in this large
                                                organization, and there are plenty of *nice* folk to play with!

                                                As a bit of practical advice, if you should happen to encounter a garb
                                                critic, the simple statement of "I'm new, and this is my first garb" will
                                                usually cause them to remember their courtesy. Or, you will learn that they
                                                were genuinely trying to be helpful rather than judgmental, and you may meet
                                                a new friend. Sometimes well-intentioned people just don't have much skill
                                                at phrasing. :-) To paraphrase Duke Cariadoc, "Never ascribe to malice that
                                                which can be explained by error."

                                                keys fesswise reversed sable.

                                              • rebeccaatthewell_2000
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Mar 15, 2006
                                                  Thanks everyone. It is hard reorienting yourself from ren faire
                                                  thinkging to SCA thinking :) but I shall attempt it, and I won't be
                                                  making my own clothing lol, I shall have someone else make it because I
                                                  am not domestically inclined :D

                                                  the things that interest me are:
                                                  Drawing
                                                  Poetry (writing and reciting)
                                                  Archery!!
                                                  music (both vocal and instrumental)
                                                  Bardic recitations

                                                  and I have a feeling each one of them could be a full time job if I
                                                  allowed to. :)

                                                  Thanks for the encouragement
                                                  Isabella (Rebecca)
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Mar 15, 2006
                                                    In a message dated 3/15/2006 6:41:20 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                                    scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

                                                    <<and women doing anything is not really period either
                                                    but I am not much for following such things (me and
                                                    Joan of Arc, of course she came to a bad end, soooo
                                                    lol)>>

                                                    Your garb question has been pretty well addressed by now (and yes, I'm the
                                                    Brangwayna that Justin mentioned), so I'll leave that bit unless you would like
                                                    info on accurate materials, clothing designs, and so forth.

                                                    I did want to hit this second point, though. I think, as you learn more
                                                    about medieval life, you'll find that the "women weren't allowed to do anything"
                                                    bit is pretty much a modern misconception or even an outright myth. Pretty
                                                    much throughout the SCA period, at least in the Western European cultures I'm
                                                    most familiar with, women had quite a few more career avenues available than
                                                    choosing between being a wife and mother or a nun.
                                                    Just a few examples - smithing, bell-founding (there is an existing bell on
                                                    which the maker's name, Johanna, appears), a number of careers in the textile
                                                    and food industries including women who owned their own businesses and took
                                                    apprentices. In the leisure areas, too, there is plenty of evidence for
                                                    women hunting with both bows and hawks, and participating in active games and
                                                    sports. There is even evidence for women directing troops to protect the
                                                    castles where they lived while their husbands were away.

                                                    Lancaster, PA

                                                  • Jeff Suzuki
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Mar 16, 2006
                                                      --- bronwynmgn@... wrote:

                                                      > I did want to hit this second point, though. I
                                                      > think, as you learn more
                                                      > about medieval life, you'll find that the "women
                                                      > weren't allowed to do anything"
                                                      > bit is pretty much a modern misconception or even an
                                                      > outright myth.

                                                      Besides those occupations already listed, it's worth
                                                      noting that in many areas, among certain classes,
                                                      women were more likely to be literate and numerate,
                                                      since keeping track of the household accounts was
                                                      "women's work."

                                                      And once you control the books...

                                                      Jeffs/etc.

                                                      Jeffs/etc.

                                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Apr 10, 2006
                                                        On Wednesday 15 March 2006 18:39, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
                                                        > Pretty
                                                        > much throughout the SCA period, at least in the Western  European cultures I'm
                                                        > most familiar with, women had quite a few more career  avenues available than
                                                        > choosing between being a wife and mother or a nun.

                                                        In addition to what Brangwayna has said, I should also mention that in the SCA
                                                        we create the *current middle ages*, not the *historical middle ages*. In
                                                        short terms, that means when it comes to things like gender roles, we do "the
                                                        middle ages as we wish they had been." So I can (and do) sew and cook, and
                                                        many women can (and do) fight and make armor and so on. It's great that there
                                                        *are* historical precedents for things like this, as Brangwayna cites, but also
                                                        it's great that in the SCA you can participate in any activity you wish without
                                                        having to prove that your gender could have done so in period.

                                                        Again, not to disagree with what Brangwayna said about the historical facts,
                                                        just adding the SCA-specific spin as an extra bit of info. :-)

                                                        keys fesswise reversed sable.

                                                      • Sydney Walker Freedman
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Apr 10, 2006
                                                          There are some who are attracted to the SCA and medieval studies partially
                                                          because of the traditional gender roles. (Ahem, maybe not that many...)
                                                          Sorry. I just really enjoy sitting at my loom and singing chansons de
                                                          toile. Also, it's a good thing I don't fight; I don't need a sword. I'm
                                                          scary enough as it is with a cane. :)

                                                          Pax Christi,
                                                          Cecilia

                                                          > On Wednesday 15 March 2006 18:39, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
                                                          > > Pretty
                                                          > > much throughout the SCA period, at least in the Western  European
                                                          > cultures I'm
                                                          > > most familiar with, women had quite a few more career  avenues
                                                          > available than
                                                          > > choosing between being a wife and mother or a nun.
                                                          >
                                                          > In addition to what Brangwayna has said, I should also mention that in
                                                          > the SCA
                                                          > we create the *current middle ages*, not the *historical middle ages*. In
                                                          > short terms, that means when it comes to things like gender roles, we do
                                                          > "the
                                                          > middle ages as we wish they had been." So I can (and do) sew and
                                                          > cook, and
                                                          > many women can (and do) fight and make armor and so on. It's great that
                                                          > there
                                                          > *are* historical precedents for things like this, as Brangwayna cites,
                                                          > but also
                                                          > it's great that in the SCA you can participate in any activity you wish
                                                          > without
                                                          > having to prove that your gender could have done so in period.
                                                          >
                                                          > Again, not to disagree with what Brangwayna said about the historical
                                                          > facts,
                                                          > just adding the SCA-specific spin as an extra bit of info. :-)
                                                          >
                                                          > Justin
                                                          >
                                                          > --
                                                          > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                                                          > justin@... PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

                                                          Pax Christi,
                                                          Sydney
                                                        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Apr 10, 2006
                                                            On Monday 10 April 2006 22:49, Sydney Walker Freedman wrote:
                                                            > There are some who are attracted to the SCA and medieval studies partially
                                                            > because of the traditional gender roles.

                                                            And that's okay, too. Just because you *can* cross traditional gender roles
                                                            doesn't mean that you *must*. :-)

                                                            keys fesswise reversed sable.