Re: [SCA Newcomers] Honesty

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2005
      On Thursday 08 September 2005 11:41, Patrick Callahan wrote:
      > I have never had those problems at SCA.  Everyone
      > is honest and I have never heard of anything being stolen.  It is really an
      > amazing world some times inside the Society.  Thank you for your time.

      {sigh} I wish I could say "everyone" is honest, but alas, that is not
      quite true.

      The *vast majority* of SCA folk are honest. If you drop your wallet or an
      expensive camera or cell phone at an event with 200 people there, you'll
      stand better than a 99% chance of getting them back, in my experience.

      Unfortunately, there are a few bad apples in any large group. We have over
      40,000 members. If 99% of them are good, honest folk, there are still 400
      who are not. At an event the size of Pennsic (circa 12,000 attendees), you
      always hear of a couple of thefts every year.

      Remember that our events are open to anyone, not just committed SCA members
      who have something invested in the group. If someone is willing to wear garb
      and pay the site fee and not break the rules, they can come to our events.
      At Pennsic and other large events, we unfortunately get a few jerks who
      have no interest at all in the Middle Ages and just come to party. Also,
      there are some event sites where there is no effective way to keep the
      public from just "wandering in". Thieves (unfortunately) look for just that
      kind of opportunity.

      Don't let this disillusion you about the SCA as a whole. I share your
      high opinion of this group, else I wouldn't still be here after 15 years.
      But we have to be realistic about taking care of valuables. It's good to
      know that if you accidentally misplace something valuable, you are very,
      VERY likely to get it back. But don't fall into the trap of being careless
      about your property.

      Pennsic 20 was my very first SCA event (this year was Pennsic 34). Since I
      didn't know anyone yet, someone suggested that volunteering to help the
      event staff would be a great way to meet friends and learn my way around
      the event. I volunteered at Information Point and at Security -- in the
      latter, when they found out I have modern-world experience with two-way
      radio, they made me a dispatcher. In that job, I was also the clerk for
      Lost and Found (that's no longer the situation -- it's a separate team
      now). As I sat there working the radio to coordinate patrols, people would
      bring stuff in to drop off at L&F.

      They brought jewelry, wallets with money and cards still inside, cameras,
      and all sorts of other things. One person I particularly remember was a
      man around 25~30 who had found a large wad of cash -- obviously someone's
      vacation spending money -- in one of the shower houses. There was no wallet
      and no ID, just this glob of cash, amounting to several hundred dollars.
      He could have kept it with no risk of being caught. But instead he brought
      it to us, and said, "I know somebody will be glad to get this back!" I tried
      to write down his name, as part of our standard record keeping and because
      it seemed likely the owner might want to give him a reward. He refused to
      leave his name, and said, "I didn't do this to get a reward; I did it because
      it's the right thing to do."

      I still believe that virtually everyone in the SCA has this level of honesty,
      and fifteen years of experience shows that I've been right about that. There
      are, unfortunately, a few bad apples. So, you take reasonable precautions
      against those, and you enjoy being with the "other 99% of the Society".

      Kind regards, and welcome!

      keys fesswise reversed sable.