Honesty

  • Patrick Callahan
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2005
      Dear Gentles:

      I don't know what I expected, but it was probably something closer to what
      we see in society at large. I was very impressed, however, at how honest,
      and trustworthy, SCA folks are. At Boy Scout events equal to the size of
      the SCA events I have attended, there would havd been theft. I found
      growing up that you could not trust some one at face value just because the
      were a
      Boy Scout or what ever. I have never had those problems at SCA. Everyone
      is honest and I have never heard of anything being stolen. It is really an
      amazing world some times inside the Society. Thank you for your time.

      Lost and Confused
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 8, 2005
        On Thursday 08 September 2005 11:41, Patrick Callahan wrote:
        > I have never had those problems at SCA.  Everyone
        > is honest and I have never heard of anything being stolen.  It is really an
        > amazing world some times inside the Society.  Thank you for your time.

        {sigh} I wish I could say "everyone" is honest, but alas, that is not
        quite true.

        The *vast majority* of SCA folk are honest. If you drop your wallet or an
        expensive camera or cell phone at an event with 200 people there, you'll
        stand better than a 99% chance of getting them back, in my experience.

        Unfortunately, there are a few bad apples in any large group. We have over
        40,000 members. If 99% of them are good, honest folk, there are still 400
        who are not. At an event the size of Pennsic (circa 12,000 attendees), you
        always hear of a couple of thefts every year.

        Remember that our events are open to anyone, not just committed SCA members
        who have something invested in the group. If someone is willing to wear garb
        and pay the site fee and not break the rules, they can come to our events.
        At Pennsic and other large events, we unfortunately get a few jerks who
        have no interest at all in the Middle Ages and just come to party. Also,
        there are some event sites where there is no effective way to keep the
        public from just "wandering in". Thieves (unfortunately) look for just that
        kind of opportunity.

        Don't let this disillusion you about the SCA as a whole. I share your
        high opinion of this group, else I wouldn't still be here after 15 years.
        But we have to be realistic about taking care of valuables. It's good to
        know that if you accidentally misplace something valuable, you are very,
        VERY likely to get it back. But don't fall into the trap of being careless
        about your property.

        Pennsic 20 was my very first SCA event (this year was Pennsic 34). Since I
        didn't know anyone yet, someone suggested that volunteering to help the
        event staff would be a great way to meet friends and learn my way around
        the event. I volunteered at Information Point and at Security -- in the
        latter, when they found out I have modern-world experience with two-way
        radio, they made me a dispatcher. In that job, I was also the clerk for
        Lost and Found (that's no longer the situation -- it's a separate team
        now). As I sat there working the radio to coordinate patrols, people would
        bring stuff in to drop off at L&F.

        They brought jewelry, wallets with money and cards still inside, cameras,
        and all sorts of other things. One person I particularly remember was a
        man around 25~30 who had found a large wad of cash -- obviously someone's
        vacation spending money -- in one of the shower houses. There was no wallet
        and no ID, just this glob of cash, amounting to several hundred dollars.
        He could have kept it with no risk of being caught. But instead he brought
        it to us, and said, "I know somebody will be glad to get this back!" I tried
        to write down his name, as part of our standard record keeping and because
        it seemed likely the owner might want to give him a reward. He refused to
        leave his name, and said, "I didn't do this to get a reward; I did it because
        it's the right thing to do."

        I still believe that virtually everyone in the SCA has this level of honesty,
        and fifteen years of experience shows that I've been right about that. There
        are, unfortunately, a few bad apples. So, you take reasonable precautions
        against those, and you enjoy being with the "other 99% of the Society".

        Kind regards, and welcome!

        keys fesswise reversed sable.