Re: [SCA Newcomers] dates....

  • jeffnaggie@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 26, 2005
      Yes, the 1300's are in the time period. I have seen from 600 A.D. to 1650, but I think the 1650 may be pushing it a bit.

      Hillary

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 26, 2005
        Hehehehe The farther south you get the more early
        period persona's you have. In Texas, we have lots of
        really early persona's. I have a freind who's 365 AD.

        Maria

        --- Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>
        wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        On Friday 26 August 2005 09:22, Tia wrote:
        > Ok silly question its probably on the SCA Page
        somewhere but so far I
        > havent found it.....What time periods Does SCA
        cover? are the 1300's
        > acceptable?

        Not a silly question at all! The SCA is generally
        considered to cover the
        time period from 600 to 1600 CE, but this is a bit of
        a fuzzy range, and
        especially on the earlier end it can be expanded quite
        a bit. The year 600
        is not quite as "official" as the 1600 year -- but
        again, both of these are
        somewhat fuzzy delimiters. No one will yell at you if
        you wear a costume
        that can be documented to 1605, but some might look
        askance if you wear
        garb from 1705. :-)

        The general intent is to place ourselves between
        "ancient times" and the
        time when gun powder became widely used and ended the
        era of knights in
        armor. There were actually guns used during our time
        period, but we try to
        minimize the presence of gunpowder in our re-created
        culture so as not to
        ruin the pageantry of armoured tournaments and melees.

        ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
        <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
        Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief
        dovetailed Or two
        keys fesswise reversed sable.

        Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio)
        http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        justin@... PGP Public Key at
        http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

        Medieval costume
        Medieval knights

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------
      • Doug Petroshius
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 27, 2005
          It is my undertanding that the SCA bylaws require that everyone must make an
          attempt at pre-17th Century dress, based out of Europe.

          But for simplicity, I think it is understood that 600-1600 ad is the era.

          ~Gintaras~
          Midrealm
          Midlands
          Ravenslake

          >From: jeffnaggie@...
          >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] dates....
          >Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:03:31 -0400
          >
          >Yes, the 1300's are in the time period. I have seen from 600 A.D. to 1650,
          >but I think the 1650 may be pushing it a bit.
          >
          >Hillary

        • Janet
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 28, 2005
            My only comment to this whole time and place
            conversation is that SCA time and location no longer
            only applies to just Europe. It's all places known to
            Europeans at any given time. This includes, Japan,
            China, the Mongols, Persia, etc.

            ~Isabel

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Doug Petroshius
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 28, 2005
              It is important to note that SCA is structured to have Europe as the base
              from which we have our game played. The reason why we see people in our game
              from non-European Cultures is that there is evidence of a mix of cultures in
              the SCA time periods. By 1600 ad, Europe had contact with just about
              everywhere in the world and therefore it is possible that my personae could
              have visited Medieval Europe. It has been documented that by 1600 ad
              Japanese people were documented to be in medieval courts. Native American
              Indians were being brought to Europe in order to be Europeanized. The
              Chinese were contacted by the West deep into European history.

              I like to encourage newcomers who wish to make personaes that are of
              non-european upbringing, to figure out a way to tie them into visiting
              Europe. I think this ads to the ideal of our game and allows them to
              diversify their personae. It also gives them a little defense from some of
              those authenticrats that we tend to encounter every now and then ;)

              ~Gintaras~
              Midrealm
              Midlands
              Ravenslake

              >From: Janet <HI_it_is_me@...>
              >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] dates....
              >Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:25:13 -0700 (PDT)
              >
              >My only comment to this whole time and place
              >conversation is that SCA time and location no longer
              >only applies to just Europe. It's all places known to
              >Europeans at any given time. This includes, Japan,
              >China, the Mongols, Persia, etc.
              >
              >~Isabel

              >http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Sir Ix
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 30, 2005
                >like to encourage newcomers who wish to make personaes that are of
                >non-european upbringing, to figure out a way to tie them into visiting
                >Europe. I think this ads to the ideal of our game and allows them to
                >diversify their personae. It also gives them a little defense from some of
                >those authenticrats that we tend to encounter every now and then ;)

                I echo that. If you play on the edge know the rules. I am a visitor
                in Europe, a curiosity, a side show. I have an entire complete
                persona history that details how I am here and what I am doing. Be
                prepared to know you history if you play on the edge.

                --
                Sir Ixtilixochitl
                Midlands - http://www.themidlands.org

                (Bo Ring - TriLutions - http://www.galesburg.net)