Surname Issues

  • Rebecca Egan
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 9 4:28 AM
      Greetings,
      So I've picked a given name (Gabrielle). I'm
      planning on placing my persona in the mini renisance
      in france. But I'm having more than a bit of trouble
      with picking a surname. Does anyone have some ideas
      of where I could research surnames of this period? Or
      the phenetics for creatinging one?

      Gabrielle
      aka Rebecca the Dark

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Kristine Elliott
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9 4:51 AM
        One of the best places you can go is to the Academy of St. Gabrielle's
        Medieval Name Archive, located at http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/ . Go
        to the "Frankish and French Names" section and see if any of the
        articles will help you.

        For 11th and 12th century French surnames, you could use Reaney and
        Wilson's _A Dictionary of English Surnames_ and look at the English
        surnames of French origin. A large number of French immigrated to
        England in the late 11th century and the aristocratic language became
        French (though most record keeping was done in Latin -- as it was in
        France).

        Let me know if I can help you further.

        Cateline la souriete

        On 8/9/05, Rebecca Egan <beccaberry@...> wrote:
        > Greetings,
        > So I've picked a given name (Gabrielle). I'm
        > planning on placing my persona in the mini renisance
        > in france. But I'm having more than a bit of trouble
        > with picking a surname. Does anyone have some ideas
        > of where I could research surnames of this period? Or
        > the phenetics for creatinging one?
        >
        > Gabrielle
        > aka Rebecca the Dark
      • Kristine Elliott
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9 8:15 AM
          The problem I often see with names is that names are chosen early
          enough in one's time in the SCA, so they are often like one's first
          couple of costumes, a reasonable first attempt a period clothing, but
          not something that one would wear with pride 5 or 10 years down the
          road. (Your mileage may vary, of course.) My aim is to allow anyone I
          do name consulting with to choose what they want, with as full a
          knowledge of the basics of names in their time and place as I can give
          them. I also will counsel them on the registerability of their chosen
          name. But, I let them chose the level of authenticity in their name. I
          try very hard not come over as rude or a know-it-all, but it is
          important to me to help people make an informed choice. I always
          recommend people chose a name as authentic as they can stand – it has
          been my observation over 20 years in the Society that people over time
          move toward more authenticity, so I believe that an authentic name
          will be more satisfying in the long run.

          From that point of view, I wanted to talk to you briefly about your
          given name. I am not telling you that you can't use it. First of all,
          I am guessing by "the mini-Renaissance", you mean the 12th century
          Renaissance? If you mean the later Renaissance, then this caveat is
          much less important. The Academy of St. Gabriel discusses the given
          name Gabrielle in several reports, among them: # 1208, # 1660, # 1726,
          and # 2491. All of these reports say that they have only been able to
          find one use of the name Gabrielle in the era covered by the SCA, and
          that in the 16th century. This doesn't mean you can't use it if you
          want to, just that if you are interested in authenticity, you might
          choose to use it only if your persona is going to be 16th century. If
          you're not concerned about authenticity, and really like the name, you
          can use it regardless. And, of course, just because we can't currently
          document it earlier than the 16th century, doesn't mean it didn't
          exist earlier, just that right now we can't prove that it did.

          As far registerability (if you want to register your name and device
          with the SCA College of Arms), Gabrielle should be registerable with
          any reasonably compatible byname or surname.

          I hope this helps you.

          Cateline la souriete

          On 8/9/05, Rebecca Egan <beccaberry@...> wrote:
          > Greetings,
          > So I've picked a given name (Gabrielle). I'm
          > planning on placing my persona in the mini renisance
          > in france. But I'm having more than a bit of trouble
          > with picking a surname. Does anyone have some ideas
          > of where I could research surnames of this period? Or
          > the phenetics for creatinging one?
          >
          > Gabrielle
          > aka Rebecca the Dark

        • Marco and Jitka Sainte