Re: [SCA Newcomers] Names...Again

  • vanessa gonzales
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 8, 2005
      Hi, I don't know which one's better but it seems to me that they have two different implications; one that you live by the creek and the other that you have four cats. Anyhow, I like the way Four Cat Creek sounds, it has a nice ring to it. Good luck!

      Tia <teedle77@...> wrote:Names seem to be a major topic of late, & I wanted to run this by
      everyone on the List...

      Temair of Four Cat Creek Is that to Long a Location to use? Or should
      I just be Temair Four Cats?

      I am Hoping Temair will be easy enough for me to remember thats who I
      am *l*

    • Hedwig
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 8, 2005
        May I ask where you found your name? I haven't found it in any of my
        heraldry resources...but then that doesn't mean anything really...just that
        it isn't in any of my books and references. If you can give some more
        background information on your name some of us may be able to help you a bit
        better...
        In Service,
        Hedwig

      • Kristine Elliott
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 8, 2005
          My lady,

          Are you interested in an Irish name? I am guessing so, since you chose
          the first name Temair, which is distinctly Irish. The problem with
          both "Temair Four Cat Creek" and "Temair Four Cat" is that neither are
          anything close to a standard Irish Gaelic name in form. Information on
          what period Gaelic names look like can be found here:
          http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/quickgaelicbynames/ (Yes, it
          says Scottish, but Scottish Gaelic and Irish Gaelic are closely
          related and they put their names together the same way.)

          For information on the name Temair, including how to pronounce it in
          period fashion, please check out:
          http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?2177+0 and
          http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?1380+0 .

          If you need help creating an Irish name, I will do my best to help
          you, but it is not a language I am comfortable in -- I will probably
          have to pass all but the most basic questions onto Sharon Krossa,
          myself. She actively comments on the SCAHeralds list.

          As a general note, http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/ is an excellent
          place to look for a name.

          Let me know if I can help you any more.

          Thanks,

          Cateline

          On 8/8/05, Tia <teedle77@...> wrote:
          > Names seem to be a major topic of late, & I wanted to run this by
          > everyone on the List...
          >
          > Temair of Four Cat Creek Is that to Long a Location to use? Or should
          > I just be Temair Four Cats?
          >
          > I am Hoping Temair will be easy enough for me to remember thats who I
          > am *l*

        • Tia
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 9, 2005
            Temair Is Irish I found it on......rooting....OBriens Corpus
            Genologium Hiberniae Heraldry Page....it was a link somewhere on the
            SCA homepage I think.... http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/irish-
            obrien.html there it is

            The creek & Four cats Is yes I live by a creek & I do have 4 cats ;-)
            According to O'Brien's Irish names were set up 2 ways
            For women anyhow...your first name (Ingen= Daughter of) & then your
            fathers name
            Temair Ingen Duff....supposedly the Ingen replaces the Mac In MacDuff

            Then there is the approach (wich I was taking) first Name then A
            location or specific Marker/ atribute..... Hence Temair Four Cats etc.

            I do not doubt if I turned my name into the Heralds It would be shot
            down. But that is the Wonder of SCA you dont have to be Perfect to
            Play.
          • Tia
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 9, 2005
            • Hedwig
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 9, 2005
                Oh OK in that case have you dug around at Saint Gabe's?
                http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/irish.shtml
                This is a great place to start...and the heralds generally love names from
                here (especially if you include the article you found your name in or based
                your name construction on...)
                In Service,
                Hedwig

                On 8/9/05, Tia <teedle77@...> wrote:

                > http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/irish-obrien.html
                > that should work better....

              • Tia
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 9, 2005
                  Thank you
                • Tia
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 16, 2005
                    Temair Of Four Cat Creek is a do-able name choice and not quite as un
                    heard of as you think, if you check Gabriels page under
                    the "Vanishingly rare section" it notes Locative Bynames.....Rare yes
                    But Not unheard of.
                    Thank you for your help & Information :-)
                  • Kristine Elliott
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 16, 2005
                      There is a difference between saying "locative names are rare but
                      period in Ireland" and saying "Temair Four Cat Creek is period." The
                      next step is to figure out what Irish locative names look like and see
                      if Four Cat Creek fits that pattern or can be made to fit that pattern
                      -- we're talking about entering heavy linguistics territory here.
                      (Certainly, beyond me -- I could help a person with an English
                      locative, but I am no expert in Irish Gaelic.)

                      Of course, as you mentioned before, you can call yourself whatever you
                      want. If you chose to register a device, you will have to register it
                      under a name that meets the CoA's minimum standards for authenticity.
                      Frankly, with what you have now (and the documentation you have
                      mentioned on the list), I doubt your name is registerable. Your
                      choice, of course. I always recommend that my clients go as period as
                      they can stand with their name -- I believe they will be happier with
                      it in the long run, and I like people to be happy.

                      Cateline

                      --
                      http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

                      If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at
                      least teach 'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz
                    • Tia
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 16, 2005
                        Perhaps I am not quite understanding what you mean..do you want me
                        to translate "Of Four Cat Creek" into Gaelic?

                        If I am reading these right..... According to The SCA Heraldry Page
                        Submission Guidelines http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html#2.2
                        Part 2 Compatible Name Content section 2 & 3, And Part 3 Styling &
                        Grammer section 2 name style #3 I would Think it "should" *l* be
                        acceptable the way it is....

                        I do Know that not everyone interprets things the same way I do & I
                        could be Missing a Nuance they are going for.

                        Again Thank you for your Help & Information.

                        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Kristine Elliott
                        <souriete@g...> wrote:
                        > There is a difference between saying "locative names are rare but
                        > period in Ireland" and saying "Temair Four Cat Creek is period."
                        The
                        > next step is to figure out what Irish locative names look like and
                        see
                        > if Four Cat Creek fits that pattern or can be made to fit that
                        pattern
                        > -- we're talking about entering heavy linguistics territory here.
                        > (Certainly, beyond me -- I could help a person with an English
                        > locative, but I am no expert in Irish Gaelic.)
                        >
                        > Of course, as you mentioned before, you can call yourself whatever
                        you
                        > want. If you chose to register a device, you will have to register
                        it
                        > under a name that meets the CoA's minimum standards for
                        authenticity.
                        > Frankly, with what you have now (and the documentation you have
                        > mentioned on the list), I doubt your name is registerable. Your
                        > choice, of course. I always recommend that my clients go as period
                        as
                        > they can stand with their name -- I believe they will be happier
                        with
                        > it in the long run, and I like people to be happy.
                        >
                        > Cateline
                        >

                        > On 8/16/05, Tia <teedle77@y...> wrote:
                        > > Temair Of Four Cat Creek is a do-able name choice and not
                        quite as un
                        > > heard of as you think, if you check Gabriels page under
                        > > the "Vanishingly rare section" it notes Locative
                        Bynames.....Rare yes
                        > > But Not unheard of.
                        > > Thank you for your help & Information :-)

                        > > Medieval costume
                        > > Medieval knights

                        Service.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 16, 2005
                          You're doing excellently -- looking up sources, looking at the Rules
                          for Submissions. (I'm not kidding here -- on our kingdom heralds list
                          people are always asking questions that could be answered by looking
                          at the RfS, so someone working their name and looking at the RfS is
                          just heavenly!)

                          We need to look at Rules for Submission II.3.:

                          "3. Invented Names. - New name elements, whether invented by the
                          submitter or borrowed from a literary source, may be used if they
                          follow the rules for name formation from a linguistic tradition
                          compatible with the domain of the Society and the name elements used.

                          "Name elements may be created following patterns demonstrated to have
                          been followed in period naming. Old English given names, for instance,
                          are frequently composed of two syllables from a specific pool of name
                          elements. The given name Ælfmund could be created using syllables from
                          the documented names Ælfgar and Eadmund following the pattern
                          established by similar names in Old English. Other kinds of patterns
                          can also be found in period naming, such as patterns of meaning,
                          description, or sound. Such patterns, if sufficiently defined, may
                          also be used to invent new name elements. There is a pattern of using
                          kinds of animals in the English place names Oxford, Swinford and
                          Hartford, and so a case could be made for inventing a similar name
                          like Sheepford. No name will be disqualified based solely on its
                          source."

                          So, yes, this probably does mean translating it into Irish for
                          registration, or at the very least, seeing whether, if it were
                          translated into Irish, it would make a reasonable Irish place name.
                          What we are looking for here, is both the existance of the type of
                          element (in the above example: Ox, Swin(e) and Hart are all animals,
                          as is Sheep) and the combination of that type of element in a period
                          format -- as is shown in the creation of Sheepford. I'm sorry, I did
                          warn you were were getting into heavy linguistics here!

                          Looking at the pattern of "Three Cat Creek" we have the pattern of
                          "Number"+"Animal (feline)"+ "Body of water". So what you or someone
                          needs to do is look at a book of Irish placenames and see if there are
                          any Irish place names with that combination of elements (number,
                          animal, body of water or topographic term) exists; in this case, since
                          Irish Gaelic is a different language, I'd be looking for the 3
                          elements in any order -- off the top of my head I don't know what
                          natural grammatical order they would fall in). I can do that for you.
                          I have at least two books on Irish place names. It will take me a few
                          days, perhaps more than a week to do, but I would be glad to do (for
                          one thing, I'm curious, and for another, I'd like to help you.) Some
                          examples, which I will be paying particular attention to, of locative
                          bynames appearing in a late Irish document can be found at
                          http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/lateirish/ormond-glossary.html#Glossary
                          and http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/lateirish/fitzwilliam.html
                          .

                          This email is getting HORRIBLY long, so I am going to break off here
                          and email you about what I think some of the issues are going to be
                          of registering "Temair Three Cat Creek" as is off list, before I bore
                          everyone but you and I to death!

                          Cateline

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 17, 2005
                            Cateline,
                            Thank you! Now I get it!......OK Now I just have to find a source that
                            shows the pattern of Number+animal+body of water....

                            Maybe I'll Just go with Temair of the creek (Temair Ingen Geo'dh) it
                            might be easier *l*

                            English to Galic Dictionary Link....
                            http://www.ceantar.org/Dicts/MF2/index.html ... hope I picked the
                            right definitions....

                            OK now "IF" I can prove it would work...my name would look like this
                            In Gaelic... Temair Ingen Cethircattgeo'dh ..... Wow what a mouth Full!

                            I never would have thought Researching a name could get so complex. I
                            am Glad there are Heralds that can help me, As well as Folks who just
                            have an intrest in it!

                            Again Thank you, Sorry if I was being a Dunce.....back to the research.

                            Temair
                          • Kristine Elliott
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 17, 2005
                              Temair, "ingen" means "daughter of" not just "of". If you like, I can
                              email SCA Heralds and ask how to put in Gaelic "Temair of the Creek"
                              and whether they would consider it to be a reasonable byname in
                              Gaelic. (I don't know a lot of Gaelic myself, but I do know who to
                              ask!) You can join SCA Heralds yourself and ask, too; it isn't a
                              closed list but it is sometimes very busy.

                              The problem with finding the correct words for your elements in Gaelic
                              is ... it might not be that simple. If you look at "Quick and Easy
                              Gaelic Names" in the St. Gabriel's Medieval Name Archive (
                              http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/quickgaelicbynames/ ), you
                              will notice that even in the simple patronymics, the father's name
                              (after "mac" or "ingen" or "inghean") changes spelling, sometimes
                              substantially. I don't KNOW the same thing will happen in a
                              constructed Irish place-name, but I don't know for sure that it won't,
                              either. In fact, when I consult people with Gaelic names, I do my best
                              and then tell them to "Allow changes" on their form, because I am no
                              expert in Gaelic, and if they don't allow changes and I made the
                              tiniest error, the name will be returned for more work, which is
                              always a bummer.

                              In English place names there several places which are essentially
                              number+tree, like Sevenoaks, which appears as Sevenac in 1200. A few
                              other elements that appear after a number are –hampton , which is a
                              farmstead, -stone which means what it looks like, and –hide, which is
                              a unit of measure for land. There may be more; those are what I saw on
                              a quick run-through of Victor Watt's _The Cambridge Dictionary of
                              English Place-Names_. I didn't look at every number (I think I look at
                              five and seven, to be honest, and relied a bit on my memory).

                              I hope this helps a little. Please feel free to ask me more questions
                              on your name, on or off list. I would be glad to help you, or anyone
                              else, to work on their name.

                              Cateline

                              PS: You're not a dunce! We just misunderstood each other.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 17, 2005
                                roflol Oh Boy, stuck my foot in that one.....I knew i should have
                                rechecked that refrence....
                                Back to the drawing Board.......Cateline Dont worry I am one of
                                these Bull headed people who likes to do things on there own & gets
                                carried away when they think they have "GOT IT"