Re: [SCA Newcomers] Marine shrunk Canvas

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2005
      On Tuesday 02 August 2005 13:31, Tia wrote:
      > Does any body know a good supplier fro Marine shrunk canvas? my winter
      > project Might be a pavilino.....looks easy enough....;-)

      Building a pavilion is non-trivial, but can be fun. Milica and I built one
      when we were very new to the SCA -- I had been to Pennsic one time, as my
      first and only event, and Milica (who wasn't even "Milica" yet) had not
      been to any SCA event. It was not so much "difficult" as it was "a large
      project".

      One pointer I'll offer is related to waterproofing. If you browse the
      Internet and talk with other pavilion builders, you'll find that many
      people use Thompson's Water Seal (TM) or an equivalent product to
      waterproof their canvas. This usually works well, and Milica and I found
      that this method was good for 3~5 years of Pennsic. HOWEVER, be aware that
      the Thompson's brand, specifically, has a new formula, and the new version
      does NOT work well on canvas. To put it bluntly, it not only won't
      waterproof your canvas, but it acts as a solvent to *remove* a prior
      application of the old forumla! Milica and I found this out the hard way
      a few years ago, when a sudden rainstorm came right through our newly-re-
      waterproofed tent!

      The moral of the story is, read the label on the water seal, and if it
      says it's not for use on canvas, believe it. I don't recall if Thompson's has
      such a warning, but I can tell you from experience (and have confirmed with
      the manufacturer's 800 help line) that it *doesn't* work. This isn't a slam
      on Thompson's brand -- it works great for wood waterproofing, and I still
      use it to protect our poles.

      If in doubt, look at the back of the can and call the manufacturer to ask
      for advice.

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • Tia
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2005
        Thank you Justin, I had heard rumor to this effect before I left
        CW....thank you for confirming it!
      • vanessa gonzales
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2005
          That was good advice Justin! Tia, I would like to make a pavilion too, Would you mind passing along the site or info you have on it? Thank you.

          Tia <teedle77@...> wrote:Thank you Justin, I had heard rumor to this effect before I left

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
            http://www.greydragon.org/pavilions/index.html
            Here is the page I visited it has great tips & ideas be sure you check
            all the links some of the info is a little scattered.