Marine shrunk Canvas

  • Tia
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2005
      Does any body know a good supplier fro Marine shrunk canvas? my winter
      project Might be a pavilino.....looks easy enough....;-)
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2005
        On Tuesday 02 August 2005 13:31, Tia wrote:
        > Does any body know a good supplier fro Marine shrunk canvas? my winter
        > project Might be a pavilino.....looks easy enough....;-)

        Building a pavilion is non-trivial, but can be fun. Milica and I built one
        when we were very new to the SCA -- I had been to Pennsic one time, as my
        first and only event, and Milica (who wasn't even "Milica" yet) had not
        been to any SCA event. It was not so much "difficult" as it was "a large
        project".

        One pointer I'll offer is related to waterproofing. If you browse the
        Internet and talk with other pavilion builders, you'll find that many
        people use Thompson's Water Seal (TM) or an equivalent product to
        waterproof their canvas. This usually works well, and Milica and I found
        that this method was good for 3~5 years of Pennsic. HOWEVER, be aware that
        the Thompson's brand, specifically, has a new formula, and the new version
        does NOT work well on canvas. To put it bluntly, it not only won't
        waterproof your canvas, but it acts as a solvent to *remove* a prior
        application of the old forumla! Milica and I found this out the hard way
        a few years ago, when a sudden rainstorm came right through our newly-re-
        waterproofed tent!

        The moral of the story is, read the label on the water seal, and if it
        says it's not for use on canvas, believe it. I don't recall if Thompson's has
        such a warning, but I can tell you from experience (and have confirmed with
        the manufacturer's 800 help line) that it *doesn't* work. This isn't a slam
        on Thompson's brand -- it works great for wood waterproofing, and I still
        use it to protect our poles.

        If in doubt, look at the back of the can and call the manufacturer to ask
        for advice.

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Tia
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2005
          Thank you Justin, I had heard rumor to this effect before I left
          CW....thank you for confirming it!
        • vanessa gonzales
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2005
            That was good advice Justin! Tia, I would like to make a pavilion too, Would you mind passing along the site or info you have on it? Thank you.

            Tia <teedle77@...> wrote:Thank you Justin, I had heard rumor to this effect before I left

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
              http://www.greydragon.org/pavilions/index.html
              Here is the page I visited it has great tips & ideas be sure you check
              all the links some of the info is a little scattered.