SCA book author at Pennsic newcomers social

  • Patrick ODonnell
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2005
      I apologize if any find this posting inappropriate. I am the author of a new(ish) book about the SCA called The Knights Next Door: Everyday People Living Middle Ages Dreams. It's a non-fiction account of the people, pursuits, crafts, battles and events of the SCA's Known World.

      I will be attending the newcomer's get-together on Wednesday of Pennsic to show copies of the book and answer any questions people have, either about the book or the SCA.

      A review is still pending in Tournaments Illuminated, but the book has received positive reviews from SCAToday, the Armour Archive and the Midwest Book Review. Details are at the book website, www.knightsnextdoor.com.

      Thank you and hope to meet many of you there,

      Patrick/Mael Patraic

      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      There are 6 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Re: Dress Problem
      From: Marco and Jitka Sainte
      2. Re: name again
      From: "Gretchen~ Hulett Hall Academy"
      3. Pewter Cloak Clasps, Buttons, and More
      From: "Steve Blom"
      4. Re: Re: name again
      From: "Alison Choyce"
      5. Re: Re: name again
      From: "Gretchen & Steve Hulett"
      6. Re: Forward after the Past
      From: Jason France

      Message: 1
      Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 11:20:55 -0500
      From: Marco and Jitka Sainte
      Subject: Re: Re: Dress Problem

      rushifa_asahoshi wrote:

      > Thank you for the information on the coat, I will definately do a
      > search on it now. As for the dres, I ended up wearing a veil for it
      > this one time (I had nothing else for my head), but I'll do more
      > reasearch into that time period before I wear the outfit to the next
      > event.

      Some time ago, maybe a month or two, I posted a very large attachment
      about Middle Eastern clothing, either to this group or the other
      newcomers' group. It contained information about ghwazee coats, I
      believe. I'd be willing to send that again, or to pass it on to the
      moderators to put in the "files" section of the website. :)

      Fiora

      Message: 2
      Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 18:07:20 -0000
      From: "Gretchen~ Hulett Hall Academy"
      Subject: Re: name again

      With the help of local hearldry I was able to come up with a name.

      I am Osanna Beaupel

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Steven & Gretchen Hulett"
      wrote:
      > ok what do you all think of this name?
      >
      > Oona le Baker de Summersette
      >
      > Gretchen

      Message: 3
      Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:15:54 -0000
      From: "Steve Blom"
      Subject: Pewter Cloak Clasps, Buttons, and More

      Greetings
      Being new to the group I would like to invite you to my web site in
      the least spam-like way.

      We make pewter cloak clasp, buttons, and jewelry. If you need a way to
      keep your cloak closed please stop by and have a look.

      I just finished viking cloak clasp.

      The design is based on a Viking belt tip found in Sutton Hoo,
      England. The design dates to about 600 A.D.

      The complete clasp measure 4 3/8" from side to side and about
      ¾" high.
      It has four point for attaching and a double hook and eye closure. It
      is cast in lead free pewter.

      Take a look, www.TreasureCast.com

      Stephen

      Message: 4
      Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 16:38:14 -0400
      From: "Alison Choyce"
      Subject: Re: Re: name again

      << With the help of local hearldry I was able to come up with a name.

      I am Osanna Beaupel >>

      It is a lovely name m'lady!!

      Alison

      Message: 5
      Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 15:18:08 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)
      From: "Gretchen & Steve Hulett"

      Thank you, m'lady. I am so happy with my choice.

      << With the help of local hearldry I was able to come up with a name.

      I am Osanna Beaupel >>

      It is a lovely name m'lady!!

      Alison

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Message: 6
      Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 15:54:57 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Jason France
      Subject: Re: Forward after the Past

      I am 9 miles from St. Louis

      jeffnaggie@... wrote:Excuse me good gentles,

      I am the Regional Chatelaine for the Midlands, (basically Illinois). If
      you would be so kind as to give me a reference point for where Collinsville is
      and I, be of some assistance in finding the group closest to you. I looked on
      Mapquest and it appears that your local shire would be the Shire of
      Swordcliffe but that would using Springfield as a reference point.

      What is the largest city closest to you?

      Hillary of Langeforde

      In a message dated 7/29/2005 6:46:09 PM Central Standard Time,
      dragon1038@... writes:
      Collinsville, Illinois

      Iustinos Tekton called Justin wrote:On Thursday 28 July 2005
      06:11, Jason France wrote:
      > After a long look in my armor bag, I noticed my clothes no longer fit
      > and my armor is old and very used (quite rusty actually) and I am
      > having a hard time finding a group near or around me.

      Where are you located mundanely, M'Lord?

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Author of The Knights Next Door: Everyday People Living Middle Ages Dreams
      A "behind-the-shield" look at the world of Middle Ages re-enactors

      Available in hardcover and paperback, October 2004
      www.knightsnextdoor.com