Re: [SCA Newcomers] Dress Problem

  • Bulgarelli Maria
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 28 7:10 PM
      It looks like two different dresses to me. The last
      picture looks like it's got a white chemise under it?
      Is that true? The other three pics are definitely a
      medieval overdress (12-1300's looks like) that you
      need to wear a chemise under. I may be wrong ... I'm
      certainly not an expert. But just to me it looks like
      2 different dresses.

      Maria

      --- Rebecca Egan <beccaberry@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      Looks slightly Italian to me but please do not
      consider me an expert.

      Rebecca the Dark

      --- rushifa_asahoshi <rushifa_asahoshi@...>
      wrote:

      > I have this lovely green dress I picked up at a
      > garage sale. The
      > woman selling it was a part of the SCA (or at least
      > used to be), and I
      > beleive also ren fairs. My problem is I can not
      > place the dress.
      > It's highly possible I'm just not aware of it,
      > since, being new, there
      > is much I don't know about period clothing. It's
      > green, with trim
      > running down the bodice, and looks vaguely Tudor to
      > me. Below are
      > some pictures of the dress and it's coat. The first
      > two are without
      > any tucks, but the third picture is pulled tighter
      > across the front.
      > The dress is too big for me, so I pull it tighter
      > and create a
      > slightly different angle to the trim on the bodice.
      > Not sure how
      > period the angle is, but I though it looked good.
      > The fourth picture
      > is of the over-coat. If anyone can help my identify
      > this dress, or at
      > least tell me if it's period enough to wear to an
      > event without being
      > embarassed, I would greatly appriciate it.
      >
      > <a

      dir=/Rushifa%27s+Pictures&.src=gr&.dnm=The+Dress+01.jpg&.view=t&.

      done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/scanewcomers/lst%3f%26.

      dir=/Rushifa%2527s%2bPictures%26.src=gr%26.view=t">Picture
      > 1</a>
      > <a

      dir=/Rushifa%27s+Pictures&.src=gr&.dnm=The+Dress+02.jpg&.view=t&.

      done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/scanewcomers/lst%3f%26.

      dir=/Rushifa%2527s%2bPictures%26.src=gr%26.view=t">Picture
      > 2<a>
      > <a

      dir=/Rushifa%27s+Pictures&.src=gr&.dnm=The+Dress+03.jpg&.view=t&.

      done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/scanewcomers/lst%3f%26.

      dir=/Rushifa%2527s%2bPictures%26.src=gr%26.view=t">Picture
      > 3<a>
      > <a

      dir=/Rushifa%27s+Pictures&.src=gr&.dnm=The+Dress%27s+Coat.jpg&.

      view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/scanewcomers/lst%

      3f%26.dir=/Rushifa%2527s%2bPictures%26.src=gr%26.view=t">The
      > Coat</a>

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

      Society for creative anachronism
      Medieval costume
      Medieval knights

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------
    • rushifa_asahoshi
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 30 12:53 AM
        The white in the last picture is not a chemise, it's the lining of the
        dress. Anyone know if wearing a chemise under it would be
        appropriate? I agree that they are two dresses, it appears I assumed
        to much when I bought them. Thanks for the time period, though. I'm
        planning to wear it with a chemise and veil, I hope that is period
        enough...

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Bulgarelli Maria <scarlettmb@s...

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 30 7:42 PM
          In a message dated 7/30/2005 3:54:07 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          rushifa_asahoshi@... writes:

          <<The white in the last picture is not a chemise, it's the lining of the
          dress. Anyone know if wearing a chemise under it would be
          appropriate?>>

          Yes, I thought as much. There is an underdress that goes under a ghawazee
          coat, but I'm not sure of the details of the construction. I would bet that
          googling on "ghawazee coat" would find you some information in that regard.

          << Thanks for the time period, though. I'm
          planning to wear it with a chemise and veil, I hope that is period
          enough...>>

          The lady who posted 12th-13th century for the green overdress is incorrect.
          That is the period I do and the dress in question is absolutely not from
          that time period. My guess would be 15th century or possibly early 16th,
          although if it is an Italian style I could be off on that. A chemise would be very
          appropriate, but veils were not being worn at that time period except by
          women in religious orders, I believe. I'm afraid I don't know enough about that
          style to tell you what would be worn with it, however.

          Lancaster, PA

        • Bulgarelli Maria
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 31 10:40 AM
            Thanks for clarifying that, Brangwayna. I wasn't sure
            what it was. I'd personally take her word on it. We
            don't wear such heavy looking garb here in Texas.
            (And that certainly looked heavy!!!)

            Maria

            ---------------------------------

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 31 8:04 PM
              Thank you, I will attempt to search that coat. As for the time frame
              on the dress, a friend of mine agreed with you that it was from a
              later time period. As for the veil, I went ahead and wore it, simply
              because I lacked anything else to cover my hair. I'll do a bit more
              research for the next event, so I'll have more appropriate headwear.
              Thank you everyone for all the help!

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@a... wrote:
              > In a message dated 7/30/2005 3:54:07 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              > rushifa_asahoshi@y... writes:
              >
              > <<The white in the last picture is not a chemise, it's the lining
              of the
              > dress. Anyone know if wearing a chemise under it would be
              > appropriate?>>
              >
              > Yes, I thought as much. There is an underdress that goes under a
              ghawazee
              > coat, but I'm not sure of the details of the construction. I would
              bet that
              > googling on "ghawazee coat" would find you some information in that
              regard.

              > << Thanks for the time period, though. I'm
              > planning to wear it with a chemise and veil, I hope that is period
              > enough...>>
              >
              > The lady who posted 12th-13th century for the green overdress is
              incorrect.
              > That is the period I do and the dress in question is absolutely not
              from
              > that time period. My guess would be 15th century or possibly early
              16th,
              > although if it is an Italian style I could be off on that. A
              chemise would be very
              > appropriate, but veils were not being worn at that time period
              except by
              > women in religious orders, I believe. I'm afraid I don't know
              enough about that
              > style to tell you what would be worn with it, however.
              >

              > Brangwayna Morgan
              > Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
              > Lancaster, PA

            • rushifa_asahoshi
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 31 8:17 PM
                Thank you for the information on the coat, I will definately do a
                search on it now. As for the dres, I ended up wearing a veil for it
                this one time (I had nothing else for my head), but I'll do more
                reasearch into that time period before I wear the outfit to the next
                event.

                A friend of mine agreed with you that the dress was from a later
                period. I was also lucky enough to meet the former owner of this
                dress the other day, and she said as far as she new it was designed
                more for comfort and appearance, and less to actually fit a specific
                period. I also meet the creater of the dress, but did not have time
                to ask about the dress's period of origin. Thank you everyone for the
                advice and accistance!

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@a... wrote:
                > In a message dated 7/30/2005 3:54:07 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                > rushifa_asahoshi@y... writes:
                >
                > <<The white in the last picture is not a chemise, it's the lining
                of the
                > dress. Anyone know if wearing a chemise under it would be
                > appropriate?>>
                >
                > Yes, I thought as much. There is an underdress that goes under a
                ghawazee
                > coat, but I'm not sure of the details of the construction. I would
                bet that
                > googling on "ghawazee coat" would find you some information in that
                regard.

                > << Thanks for the time period, though. I'm
                > planning to wear it with a chemise and veil, I hope that is period
                > enough...>>
                >
                > The lady who posted 12th-13th century for the green overdress is
                incorrect.
                > That is the period I do and the dress in question is absolutely not
                from
                > that time period. My guess would be 15th century or possibly early
                16th,
                > although if it is an Italian style I could be off on that. A
                chemise would be very
                > appropriate, but veils were not being worn at that time period
                except by
                > women in religious orders, I believe. I'm afraid I don't know
                enough about that
                > style to tell you what would be worn with it, however.
                >

                > Brangwayna Morgan
                > Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
                > Lancaster, PA

              • Marco and Jitka Sainte
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 1, 2005
                  rushifa_asahoshi wrote:

                  > Thank you for the information on the coat, I will definately do a
                  > search on it now. As for the dres, I ended up wearing a veil for it
                  > this one time (I had nothing else for my head), but I'll do more
                  > reasearch into that time period before I wear the outfit to the next
                  > event.

                  Some time ago, maybe a month or two, I posted a very large attachment
                  about Middle Eastern clothing, either to this group or the other
                  newcomers' group. It contained information about ghwazee coats, I
                  believe. I'd be willing to send that again, or to pass it on to the
                  moderators to put in the "files" section of the website. :)

                  Fiora

                • rushifa_asahoshi
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
                    Wow, that would be really helpful! thank you in advance!

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Marco and Jitka Sainte
                    <sainte1@s...> wrote:
                    > rushifa_asahoshi wrote:
                    >
                    > > Thank you for the information on the coat, I will definately do a
                    > > search on it now. As for the dres, I ended up wearing a veil for
                    it
                    > > this one time (I had nothing else for my head), but I'll do more
                    > > reasearch into that time period before I wear the outfit to the
                    next
                    > > event.
                    >
                    > Some time ago, maybe a month or two, I posted a very large
                    attachment
                    > about Middle Eastern clothing, either to this group or the other
                    > newcomers' group. It contained information about ghwazee coats, I
                    > believe. I'd be willing to send that again, or to pass it on to the
                    > moderators to put in the "files" section of the website. :)
                    >
                    > Fiora
                    >

                    > --
                    7/25/05
                  • Marco and Jitka Sainte
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                      rushifa_asahoshi wrote:

                      > Wow, that would be really helpful! thank you in advance!
                      >
                      > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Marco and Jitka Sainte
                      > <sainte1@s...> wrote:
                      > > rushifa_asahoshi wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > Thank you for the information on the coat, I will definately do a
                      > > > search on it now. As for the dres, I ended up wearing a veil for
                      > it
                      > > > this one time (I had nothing else for my head), but I'll do more
                      > > > reasearch into that time period before I wear the outfit to the
                      > next
                      > > > event.
                      > >
                      > > Some time ago, maybe a month or two, I posted a very large
                      > attachment
                      > > about Middle Eastern clothing, either to this group or the other
                      > > newcomers' group. It contained information about ghwazee coats, I
                      > > believe. I'd be willing to send that again, or to pass it on to the
                      > > moderators to put in the "files" section of the website. :)

                      As soon as I figure out how to send it to the moderators, I will. :)

                      (Yes, moderators, that's a not-so-subtle hint that I don't know how to
                      get the file to you. :) )

                      Fiora

                    • rushifa_asahoshi
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                        don't know about the mods, but I think you can add it to the file
                        section or links section without their approval...

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 5, 2005
                          rushifa_asahoshi wrote:

                          > don't know about the mods, but I think you can add it to the file
                          > section or links section without their approval...

                          Working on it now... there's quite a bit to add. :)

                          Fiora

                        • jitandmar
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 5, 2005
                            <sainte1@s...> wrote:
                            > rushifa_asahoshi wrote:
                            >
                            > > don't know about the mods, but I think you can add it to the file
                            > > section or links section without their approval...
                            >
                            > Working on it now... there's quite a bit to add. :)

                            Correction... Done. All the files I have are uploaded to the ME Garb
                            folder under "Files" on the group webpage. :)

                            Fiora
                          • rushifa_asahoshi
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 5, 2005
                              cool, that will be really useful, I'll check it out!