Re: [SCA Newcomers] Dress Problem

  • Rebecca Egan
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 28 3:12 AM
      Looks slightly Italian to me but please do not
      consider me an expert.

      Rebecca the Dark

      --- rushifa_asahoshi <rushifa_asahoshi@...>
      wrote:

      > I have this lovely green dress I picked up at a
      > garage sale. The
      > woman selling it was a part of the SCA (or at least
      > used to be), and I
      > beleive also ren fairs. My problem is I can not
      > place the dress.
      > It's highly possible I'm just not aware of it,
      > since, being new, there
      > is much I don't know about period clothing. It's
      > green, with trim
      > running down the bodice, and looks vaguely Tudor to
      > me. Below are
      > some pictures of the dress and it's coat. The first
      > two are without
      > any tucks, but the third picture is pulled tighter
      > across the front.
      > The dress is too big for me, so I pull it tighter
      > and create a
      > slightly different angle to the trim on the bodice.
      > Not sure how
      > period the angle is, but I though it looked good.
      > The fourth picture
      > is of the over-coat. If anyone can help my identify
      > this dress, or at
      > least tell me if it's period enough to wear to an
      > event without being
      > embarassed, I would greatly appriciate it.
      >
      > <a

      dir=/Rushifa%27s+Pictures&.src=gr&.dnm=The+Dress+01.jpg&.view=t&.

      done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/scanewcomers/lst%3f%26.

      dir=/Rushifa%2527s%2bPictures%26.src=gr%26.view=t">Picture
      > 1</a>
      > <a

      dir=/Rushifa%27s+Pictures&.src=gr&.dnm=The+Dress+02.jpg&.view=t&.

      done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/scanewcomers/lst%3f%26.

      dir=/Rushifa%2527s%2bPictures%26.src=gr%26.view=t">Picture
      > 2<a>
      > <a

      dir=/Rushifa%27s+Pictures&.src=gr&.dnm=The+Dress+03.jpg&.view=t&.

      done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/scanewcomers/lst%3f%26.

      dir=/Rushifa%2527s%2bPictures%26.src=gr%26.view=t">Picture
      > 3<a>
      > <a

      dir=/Rushifa%27s+Pictures&.src=gr&.dnm=The+Dress%27s+Coat.jpg&.

      view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/scanewcomers/lst%

      3f%26.dir=/Rushifa%2527s%2bPictures%26.src=gr%26.view=t">The

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 28 5:34 AM
        In a message dated 7/28/2005 1:37:41 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        rushifa_asahoshi@... writes:

        <<Below are
        some pictures of the dress and it's coat. >>

        I'd be happy to look but yahoo says that all of the links are inaccessible.

        Lancaster, PA

      • Bulgarelli Maria
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 28 7:10 PM
          It looks like two different dresses to me. The last
          picture looks like it's got a white chemise under it?
          Is that true? The other three pics are definitely a
          medieval overdress (12-1300's looks like) that you
          need to wear a chemise under. I may be wrong ... I'm
          certainly not an expert. But just to me it looks like
          2 different dresses.

          Maria

          ---------------------------------

          wrote:

          > I have this lovely green dress I picked up at a
          > garage sale. The
          > woman selling it was a part of the SCA (or at least
          > used to be), and I
          > beleive also ren fairs. My problem is I can not
          > place the dress.
          > It's highly possible I'm just not aware of it,
          > since, being new, there
          > is much I don't know about period clothing. It's
          > green, with trim
          > running down the bodice, and looks vaguely Tudor to
          > me. Below are
          > some pictures of the dress and it's coat. The first
          > two are without
          > any tucks, but the third picture is pulled tighter
          > across the front.
          > The dress is too big for me, so I pull it tighter
          > and create a
          > slightly different angle to the trim on the bodice.
          > Not sure how
          > period the angle is, but I though it looked good.
          > The fourth picture
          > is of the over-coat. If anyone can help my identify
          > this dress, or at
          > least tell me if it's period enough to wear to an
          > event without being
          > embarassed, I would greatly appriciate it.
          >
          > <a

          dir=/Rushifa%27s+Pictures&.src=gr&.dnm=The+Dress+01.jpg&.view=t&.

          done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/scanewcomers/lst%3f%26.

          dir=/Rushifa%2527s%2bPictures%26.src=gr%26.view=t">Picture
          > 1</a>
          > <a

          dir=/Rushifa%27s+Pictures&.src=gr&.dnm=The+Dress+02.jpg&.view=t&.

          done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/scanewcomers/lst%3f%26.

          dir=/Rushifa%2527s%2bPictures%26.src=gr%26.view=t">Picture
          > 2<a>
          > <a

          dir=/Rushifa%27s+Pictures&.src=gr&.dnm=The+Dress+03.jpg&.view=t&.

          done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/scanewcomers/lst%3f%26.

          dir=/Rushifa%2527s%2bPictures%26.src=gr%26.view=t">Picture
          > 3<a>
          > <a

          dir=/Rushifa%27s+Pictures&.src=gr&.dnm=The+Dress%27s+Coat.jpg&.

          view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/scanewcomers/lst%

          3f%26.dir=/Rushifa%2527s%2bPictures%26.src=gr%26.view=t">The
          > Coat</a>

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

          Society for creative anachronism
          Medieval costume
          Medieval knights

          Terms of Service.

          ---------------------------------
        • rushifa_asahoshi
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 30 12:53 AM
            The white in the last picture is not a chemise, it's the lining of the
            dress. Anyone know if wearing a chemise under it would be
            appropriate? I agree that they are two dresses, it appears I assumed
            to much when I bought them. Thanks for the time period, though. I'm
            planning to wear it with a chemise and veil, I hope that is period
            enough...

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Bulgarelli Maria <scarlettmb@s...

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 30 7:42 PM
              In a message dated 7/30/2005 3:54:07 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              rushifa_asahoshi@... writes:

              <<The white in the last picture is not a chemise, it's the lining of the
              dress. Anyone know if wearing a chemise under it would be
              appropriate?>>

              Yes, I thought as much. There is an underdress that goes under a ghawazee
              coat, but I'm not sure of the details of the construction. I would bet that
              googling on "ghawazee coat" would find you some information in that regard.

              << Thanks for the time period, though. I'm
              planning to wear it with a chemise and veil, I hope that is period
              enough...>>

              The lady who posted 12th-13th century for the green overdress is incorrect.
              That is the period I do and the dress in question is absolutely not from
              that time period. My guess would be 15th century or possibly early 16th,
              although if it is an Italian style I could be off on that. A chemise would be very
              appropriate, but veils were not being worn at that time period except by
              women in religious orders, I believe. I'm afraid I don't know enough about that
              style to tell you what would be worn with it, however.

              Lancaster, PA

            • Bulgarelli Maria
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 31 10:40 AM
                Thanks for clarifying that, Brangwayna. I wasn't sure
                what it was. I'd personally take her word on it. We
                don't wear such heavy looking garb here in Texas.
                (And that certainly looked heavy!!!)

                Maria

                ---------------------------------

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 31 8:04 PM
                  Thank you, I will attempt to search that coat. As for the time frame
                  on the dress, a friend of mine agreed with you that it was from a
                  later time period. As for the veil, I went ahead and wore it, simply
                  because I lacked anything else to cover my hair. I'll do a bit more
                  research for the next event, so I'll have more appropriate headwear.
                  Thank you everyone for all the help!

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@a... wrote:
                  > In a message dated 7/30/2005 3:54:07 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  > rushifa_asahoshi@y... writes:
                  >
                  > <<The white in the last picture is not a chemise, it's the lining
                  of the
                  > dress. Anyone know if wearing a chemise under it would be
                  > appropriate?>>
                  >
                  > Yes, I thought as much. There is an underdress that goes under a
                  ghawazee
                  > coat, but I'm not sure of the details of the construction. I would
                  bet that
                  > googling on "ghawazee coat" would find you some information in that
                  regard.

                  > << Thanks for the time period, though. I'm
                  > planning to wear it with a chemise and veil, I hope that is period
                  > enough...>>
                  >
                  > The lady who posted 12th-13th century for the green overdress is
                  incorrect.
                  > That is the period I do and the dress in question is absolutely not
                  from
                  > that time period. My guess would be 15th century or possibly early
                  16th,
                  > although if it is an Italian style I could be off on that. A
                  chemise would be very
                  > appropriate, but veils were not being worn at that time period
                  except by
                  > women in religious orders, I believe. I'm afraid I don't know
                  enough about that
                  > style to tell you what would be worn with it, however.
                  >

                  > Brangwayna Morgan
                  > Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
                  > Lancaster, PA

                • rushifa_asahoshi
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 31 8:17 PM
                    Thank you for the information on the coat, I will definately do a
                    search on it now. As for the dres, I ended up wearing a veil for it
                    this one time (I had nothing else for my head), but I'll do more
                    reasearch into that time period before I wear the outfit to the next
                    event.

                    A friend of mine agreed with you that the dress was from a later
                    period. I was also lucky enough to meet the former owner of this
                    dress the other day, and she said as far as she new it was designed
                    more for comfort and appearance, and less to actually fit a specific
                    period. I also meet the creater of the dress, but did not have time
                    to ask about the dress's period of origin. Thank you everyone for the
                    advice and accistance!

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@a... wrote:
                    > In a message dated 7/30/2005 3:54:07 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    > rushifa_asahoshi@y... writes:
                    >
                    > <<The white in the last picture is not a chemise, it's the lining
                    of the
                    > dress. Anyone know if wearing a chemise under it would be
                    > appropriate?>>
                    >
                    > Yes, I thought as much. There is an underdress that goes under a
                    ghawazee
                    > coat, but I'm not sure of the details of the construction. I would
                    bet that
                    > googling on "ghawazee coat" would find you some information in that
                    regard.

                    > << Thanks for the time period, though. I'm
                    > planning to wear it with a chemise and veil, I hope that is period
                    > enough...>>
                    >
                    > The lady who posted 12th-13th century for the green overdress is
                    incorrect.
                    > That is the period I do and the dress in question is absolutely not
                    from
                    > that time period. My guess would be 15th century or possibly early
                    16th,
                    > although if it is an Italian style I could be off on that. A
                    chemise would be very
                    > appropriate, but veils were not being worn at that time period
                    except by
                    > women in religious orders, I believe. I'm afraid I don't know
                    enough about that
                    > style to tell you what would be worn with it, however.
                    >

                    > Brangwayna Morgan
                    > Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
                    > Lancaster, PA

                  • Marco and Jitka Sainte
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 1, 2005
                      rushifa_asahoshi wrote:

                      > Thank you for the information on the coat, I will definately do a
                      > search on it now. As for the dres, I ended up wearing a veil for it
                      > this one time (I had nothing else for my head), but I'll do more
                      > reasearch into that time period before I wear the outfit to the next
                      > event.

                      Some time ago, maybe a month or two, I posted a very large attachment
                      about Middle Eastern clothing, either to this group or the other
                      newcomers' group. It contained information about ghwazee coats, I
                      believe. I'd be willing to send that again, or to pass it on to the
                      moderators to put in the "files" section of the website. :)

                      Fiora

                    • rushifa_asahoshi
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
                        Wow, that would be really helpful! thank you in advance!

                        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Marco and Jitka Sainte
                        <sainte1@s...> wrote:
                        > rushifa_asahoshi wrote:
                        >
                        > > Thank you for the information on the coat, I will definately do a
                        > > search on it now. As for the dres, I ended up wearing a veil for
                        it
                        > > this one time (I had nothing else for my head), but I'll do more
                        > > reasearch into that time period before I wear the outfit to the
                        next
                        > > event.
                        >
                        > Some time ago, maybe a month or two, I posted a very large
                        attachment
                        > about Middle Eastern clothing, either to this group or the other
                        > newcomers' group. It contained information about ghwazee coats, I
                        > believe. I'd be willing to send that again, or to pass it on to the
                        > moderators to put in the "files" section of the website. :)
                        >
                        > Fiora
                        >

                        > --
                        7/25/05
                      • Marco and Jitka Sainte
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                          rushifa_asahoshi wrote:

                          > Wow, that would be really helpful! thank you in advance!
                          >
                          > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Marco and Jitka Sainte
                          > <sainte1@s...> wrote:
                          > > rushifa_asahoshi wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > Thank you for the information on the coat, I will definately do a
                          > > > search on it now. As for the dres, I ended up wearing a veil for
                          > it
                          > > > this one time (I had nothing else for my head), but I'll do more
                          > > > reasearch into that time period before I wear the outfit to the
                          > next
                          > > > event.
                          > >
                          > > Some time ago, maybe a month or two, I posted a very large
                          > attachment
                          > > about Middle Eastern clothing, either to this group or the other
                          > > newcomers' group. It contained information about ghwazee coats, I
                          > > believe. I'd be willing to send that again, or to pass it on to the
                          > > moderators to put in the "files" section of the website. :)

                          As soon as I figure out how to send it to the moderators, I will. :)

                          (Yes, moderators, that's a not-so-subtle hint that I don't know how to
                          get the file to you. :) )

                          Fiora

                        • rushifa_asahoshi
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 4, 2005
                            don't know about the mods, but I think you can add it to the file
                            section or links section without their approval...

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 5, 2005
                              rushifa_asahoshi wrote:

                              > don't know about the mods, but I think you can add it to the file
                              > section or links section without their approval...

                              Working on it now... there's quite a bit to add. :)

                              Fiora

                            • jitandmar
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 5, 2005
                                <sainte1@s...> wrote:
                                > rushifa_asahoshi wrote:
                                >
                                > > don't know about the mods, but I think you can add it to the file
                                > > section or links section without their approval...
                                >
                                > Working on it now... there's quite a bit to add. :)

                                Correction... Done. All the files I have are uploaded to the ME Garb
                                folder under "Files" on the group webpage. :)

                                Fiora
                              • rushifa_asahoshi
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 5, 2005
                                  cool, that will be really useful, I'll check it out!