Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newbie

  • vanessa gonzales
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 27, 2005
      Hello all, and hello Gretchen.
      My name is Vanessa (also no persona name yet). I am also relatively new, my husband and I have been with the SCA for just a couple months now but I've done alot of research and so feel a little at ease with the whole SCA stuff. It's nice that you have found a jumping off point, sometimes that can be the hardest part. I admire that you have found your niche in the SCA and incorpoated a part of your real history into it. I don't personally know if the names you have chosen are "period-correct" but these are some sites that I have saved to help with developing personas and names. Hopefully you and the others will find them usefull. Also, I believe that if you look up your kingdom or local (baronial) site you may be able to find when a collegium will be held which offers many many classes (more like little 1 hour workshops) over the course of a weekend, about twice yearly taught by SCA people. These classes are for every skill level even some your children can enjoy and include
      most anything you ever wanted to learn including speaking in a medieval style.(I would like to learn this too)! Good luck and hope that helps!
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/bynames/
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/
      http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/quickgaelicbynames/
      http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/scotnames101.shtml
      http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/Names.htm
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/names-FAQ.html
      http://www.housebarra.com/EP/ (one of these issues (2nd or 3rd?) has Viking names)

      Gretchen~ Hulett Hall Academy <sghulett@...> wrote:
      I am new to the group and returning to SCA after 15yrs. When I was
      involved 15yrs ago I wasn't really into it all that much (ie just a
      few events). I never picked a name and all so now that I have 3 kids
      and all of them are excited about getting started we are looking for
      help on Names and Persona.

      We are wanting to go 13c England lower class (ease of garb for all
      kids since I am going to be making everything).

      The Sir name have chosen is Chapman because we are related to John
      Chapman (Johnny Appleseed) and Chapman is 13c English.

      First names I have chose are
      Alicia (dd15)
      Bartholomew (ds7)
      Pipa (dd5)
      Margaretta (myself)

      Please let me know if you feel these are period correct names. I am
      also looking for a place that will help with our language and
      pronouciation.

      Gretchen in Wyoming

      Society for creative anachronism Medieval costume Medieval knights

    • Bobbie Smith
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 14, 2007
        WOW
        i feel so much better knowing i'm not the only person in the middle of nowhere!
        Saorla