Re: [SCA Newcomers] Persona Changes - Again

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24 6:35 AM
      In a message dated 7/24/2005 12:12:32 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      damejohanna@... writes:

      <<Ok, I first kicked around the idea of being a French Widow, but the
      logistics of messing with the language and my desire to somehow
      integrate my mother into the play, I've gone back to the drawing
      board, so to speak. >>

      You do realize that you do not need to know any of your persona's language
      and that any of your family who choose to come to events with you do not HAVE
      to fit into your own persona story, correct? I don't speak 12th century
      English when I'm Brangwayna; in fact, at times I find it very hard to read even
      13th and 14th century English that hasn't been "modernized". If you want to
      set up your game that way, please feel free to do so, but it isn't something
      that you need to do. Many people who have been in the Society for many years
      have no more persona than "I'm 14th century Italian" or even less; for some
      their persona is what they do in the SCA - they are a seneschal, a weaver, and
      a spinner, for instance, with no reference to any country of origin or time
      period.

      <<Currently, I think I've decided to stop fighting what Mother Nature
      gave me and go as a young woman that originates from Scotland (that
      would very easily silence the questions about my red hair, green
      eyes, peaches & cream complexion and my temper - <laugh>) but is the
      widow of an English merchant. >>

      Again, no one is going to question your choice of persona based on whether
      or not it matches your physical description. One of the first people I knew
      in the SCA was blond haired and blue-eyed and his persona was a samurai named
      Takichi :-) I also know of a black man who portrays a Viking named Sven
      Svenson. And red hair and light complexion appears frequently in, for instance,
      Northern Italy, so it wouldn't be unusual in a Frenchwoman from the area
      bordering Italy, I wouldn't think. Don't feel you have to play to stereotypes of
      what different cultures look like.

      <<The way I'm writing the story, less than a year after our marriage,
      my husband AND parents went down on the same ship, travelling back
      to Scotland. This disaster would simultaneously make me a widow and
      an orphan. My late husband's considerable estate, therefore would
      have been left to his young bride; making me an heiress (convenient,
      huh?) Having no family left in Scotland, and finding my new Mother-
      in-Law a delight and having the resources to be independent, I
      decide to stay in England, and invite my MOther-in-Law to live with
      me. That would get my mother playing as my English Mother-in-Law
      (how FUN is that?!!). >>

      Sounds quite plausible, although you might be more likely to go to live with
      your mother-in-law than inviting her to come live with you.

      <<I know that, technically, I can do whatever I choose as this is all
      fun anyway, but I'd like to at least be as authentic in my story as
      possible. >>

      As I said, it sounds quite plausible to me, and much further than many
      people go. Have fun!

      Lancaster, PA

    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 24 6:35 PM
        On Sunday 24 July 2005 09:35, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
        > I also know of a black man who portrays a Viking named  Sven
        > Svenson.

        And I once met a white man portraying a Moorish persona. :-)

        Well said (the entire post, not just this sentence), Brangwayna. As always,
        your advice is helpful and accurate.

        Justin
        Who does Byzantine, but looks Greek about as much as Abraham Lincoln looked
        Japanese! {BIG GRIN}

        keys fesswise reversed sable.