Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hello Everyone

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 20, 2005
      In a message dated 7/19/2005 10:46:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      rushifa_asahoshi@... writes:

      Welcome, Rushifa! What a lovely name!

      << I'm wondering about a particular tent I have,
      and whether or not it would fit in at a camping event. It is a large,
      four-cornered tent with a center poll, and it looks a great deal like
      a pavilion, only in the shape of a square instead of a cirlce. It is
      made of tough green canves, and it very reliable (my parents used it
      for years before I was born, and continued to use it when I was young)
      . I'm wondering if it would an alright tent to bring, or if I should
      just look in to sharing friend's tents until I have enough money to
      buy/make a good one of my own.>>

      There are no requirements for what sort of tent you may use at an event, and
      in fact many people use modern nylon tents. In some cases nylon tents may
      be set up only in a specific area, but in most cases all sorts of tents are
      intermixed. Your tent (is it one of the old 10 X 10 Army ones with the center
      pole that works like an umbrella, with "spokes" going out into the four
      corners of the tent? If so, my husband had one that we camped in at events before
      we were married.) would be excellent for use at events, cooler than nylon
      and looking more accurate.

      <<My second question is about costuming. I've seen a number of people
      at events or in pictures wearing a chemise, under skirt, over skirt,
      and bodice. I also read somewhere that a bodice is more like
      underwear, and would traditionally be worn with a jacket over it. So
      my question is whether an expossed bodice is appropriate or not, and
      if not, what kind of over jacket should I be looking into? >>

      You will see this sort of outfit very frequently at SCA events. I think,
      personally, that it migrated there from Ren Faires, where it is a common outfit
      for those portraying serving wenches at the food stalls and such. That
      said, it truly is not an accurate costume for any time or culture during the SCA
      period. SCA rules, however, only require an attempt at period costume, not
      an accurate costume, so it is technically OK to wear such a costume at events.
      The bodices commonly worn are in fact a foundation garment, like a modern
      bra or girdle, and would have been under other clothing in most cases in
      period. If you look at pictures of Elizabethan or Tudor women, notice the very
      rigid shape of their clothes. That shape is created by the underpinnings, not
      the clothes themselves, and one of those underpinnings is the bodice or pair
      of bodies as it was called. The very decorative doublets/jackets worn by
      these women are what would be worn over a bodice. There are also much less
      decorative ones, but of similar cut, worn by merchant's wives and such.

      <<Lastly, I've been trying to find information on clothing worn in what
      is more recently Yugoslavia or Croatia, but was at that time (I
      believe) a part of Hungary or Serbia. I haven't been able to find any
      good links or pictures of this area, so if anyone has any resources or
      advice, I'd be very greatful. >>

      There is a Slavic SCA group here on yahoogrooups; it's a special interest
      group of Scadians who also have personas from that area. I'm sure they will be
      very helpful.

      <<Sorry for taking up so much space, i hope that wasn't too exstensive
      or boring...anyway, everyone have a good day, I'm looking forward to
      getting to know everyone. >>

      Not at all. That's what this group is here for :-)

      Lancaster, PA

    • rushifa_asahoshi
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 20, 2005
        > Welcome, Rushifa! What a lovely name!

        Thank you for the warm welcome! The name Rushifa is actually the
        japanese pronunciantion of Lucifer, which is also a nickname of mine
        (Lucy=Luci=Lucifer, so my friend's logic went). I generally use
        Rushifa online because it's more unique than Lucifer, and that way I
        don't run the risk of accidentally offending anyone.

        > There are no requirements for what sort of tent you may use at an
        event, and
        > in fact many people use modern nylon tents. In some cases nylon
        tents may
        > be set up only in a specific area, but in most cases all sorts of
        tents are
        > intermixed. Your tent (is it one of the old 10 X 10 Army ones with
        the center
        > pole that works like an umbrella, with "spokes" going out into the
        four
        > corners of the tent? If so, my husband had one that we camped in
        at events before
        > we were married.) would be excellent for use at events, cooler than
        nylon
        > and looking more accurate.

        I think it is the Army you mentioned, it fits that discription well.
        It leaves we wondering where my parents got it, though, since neither
        of them have ever been in the army, and we usually don't shop at the
        Army Surplus stores or anything. Anyway, I'm glad to hear it will
        work out. I love the tent dearly, and have been just looking for an
        excuse to use it again (after we bought a newer, more portable nylon
        tent, we haven't been using it). Plus I was kinda looking at the
        whole making/buying a period tent with a bit of fear, i don't exactly
        have the funds to cover it right away.

        > You will see this sort of outfit very frequently at SCA events. I
        think,
        > personally, that it migrated there from Ren Faires, where it is a
        common outfit
        > for those portraying serving wenches at the food stalls and such.
        That
        > said, it truly is not an accurate costume for any time or culture
        during the SCA
        > period. SCA rules, however, only require an attempt at period
        costume, not
        > an accurate costume, so it is technically OK to wear such a costume
        at events.
        > The bodices commonly worn are in fact a foundation garment, like a
        modern
        > bra or girdle, and would have been under other clothing in most
        cases in
        > period. If you look at pictures of Elizabethan or Tudor women,
        notice the very
        > rigid shape of their clothes. That shape is created by the
        underpinnings, not
        > the clothes themselves, and one of those underpinnings is the
        bodice or pair
        > of bodies as it was called. The very decorative doublets/jackets
        worn by
        > these women are what would be worn over a bodice. There are also
        much less
        > decorative ones, but of similar cut, worn by merchant's wives and
        such.

        Alright, that's good to know. I'm currently planning an outfit with a
        bodice showing like that, and I think I'll still make it, since it
        will be my first real garb, and I like the look of a bodice. That
        clears up alot of my confussion, though.

        > <<Lastly, I've been trying to find information on clothing worn in
        what
        > is more recently Yugoslavia or Croatia, but was at that time (I
        > believe) a part of Hungary or Serbia. I haven't been able to find
        any
        > good links or pictures of this area, so if anyone has any resources
        or
        > advice, I'd be very greatful. >>
        >
        > There is a Slavic SCA group here on yahoogrooups; it's a special
        interest
        > group of Scadians who also have personas from that area. I'm sure
        they will be
        > very helpful.

        Thanks, I've already found it and have been looking through some of
        the links so far.