Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hello Everyone

  • Hedwig
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 19, 2005
      I can suggest a Slavic interest group. I was researching a Bohemian persona
      for a while and this is an awesome group. They are very happy to share their
      information etc. Here is the link:
      Hope that helps you some,
      Hedwig

    • rushifa_asahoshi
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 19, 2005
        Thanks for the comments so far, I'm currently in the process of
        following some of your leads. I also looked through the backlogs
        more, and it seems my tent question was in fact actually answered, so
        never mind about that.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 20, 2005
          In a message dated 7/19/2005 10:46:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          rushifa_asahoshi@... writes:

          Welcome, Rushifa! What a lovely name!

          << I'm wondering about a particular tent I have,
          and whether or not it would fit in at a camping event. It is a large,
          four-cornered tent with a center poll, and it looks a great deal like
          a pavilion, only in the shape of a square instead of a cirlce. It is
          made of tough green canves, and it very reliable (my parents used it
          for years before I was born, and continued to use it when I was young)
          . I'm wondering if it would an alright tent to bring, or if I should
          just look in to sharing friend's tents until I have enough money to
          buy/make a good one of my own.>>

          There are no requirements for what sort of tent you may use at an event, and
          in fact many people use modern nylon tents. In some cases nylon tents may
          be set up only in a specific area, but in most cases all sorts of tents are
          intermixed. Your tent (is it one of the old 10 X 10 Army ones with the center
          pole that works like an umbrella, with "spokes" going out into the four
          corners of the tent? If so, my husband had one that we camped in at events before
          we were married.) would be excellent for use at events, cooler than nylon
          and looking more accurate.

          <<My second question is about costuming. I've seen a number of people
          at events or in pictures wearing a chemise, under skirt, over skirt,
          and bodice. I also read somewhere that a bodice is more like
          underwear, and would traditionally be worn with a jacket over it. So
          my question is whether an expossed bodice is appropriate or not, and
          if not, what kind of over jacket should I be looking into? >>

          You will see this sort of outfit very frequently at SCA events. I think,
          personally, that it migrated there from Ren Faires, where it is a common outfit
          for those portraying serving wenches at the food stalls and such. That
          said, it truly is not an accurate costume for any time or culture during the SCA
          period. SCA rules, however, only require an attempt at period costume, not
          an accurate costume, so it is technically OK to wear such a costume at events.
          The bodices commonly worn are in fact a foundation garment, like a modern
          bra or girdle, and would have been under other clothing in most cases in
          period. If you look at pictures of Elizabethan or Tudor women, notice the very
          rigid shape of their clothes. That shape is created by the underpinnings, not
          the clothes themselves, and one of those underpinnings is the bodice or pair
          of bodies as it was called. The very decorative doublets/jackets worn by
          these women are what would be worn over a bodice. There are also much less
          decorative ones, but of similar cut, worn by merchant's wives and such.

          <<Lastly, I've been trying to find information on clothing worn in what
          is more recently Yugoslavia or Croatia, but was at that time (I
          believe) a part of Hungary or Serbia. I haven't been able to find any
          good links or pictures of this area, so if anyone has any resources or
          advice, I'd be very greatful. >>

          There is a Slavic SCA group here on yahoogrooups; it's a special interest
          group of Scadians who also have personas from that area. I'm sure they will be
          very helpful.

          <<Sorry for taking up so much space, i hope that wasn't too exstensive
          or boring...anyway, everyone have a good day, I'm looking forward to
          getting to know everyone. >>

          Not at all. That's what this group is here for :-)

          Lancaster, PA

        • rushifa_asahoshi
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 20, 2005
            > Welcome, Rushifa! What a lovely name!

            Thank you for the warm welcome! The name Rushifa is actually the
            japanese pronunciantion of Lucifer, which is also a nickname of mine
            (Lucy=Luci=Lucifer, so my friend's logic went). I generally use
            Rushifa online because it's more unique than Lucifer, and that way I
            don't run the risk of accidentally offending anyone.

            > There are no requirements for what sort of tent you may use at an
            event, and
            > in fact many people use modern nylon tents. In some cases nylon
            tents may
            > be set up only in a specific area, but in most cases all sorts of
            tents are
            > intermixed. Your tent (is it one of the old 10 X 10 Army ones with
            the center
            > pole that works like an umbrella, with "spokes" going out into the
            four
            > corners of the tent? If so, my husband had one that we camped in
            at events before
            > we were married.) would be excellent for use at events, cooler than
            nylon
            > and looking more accurate.

            I think it is the Army you mentioned, it fits that discription well.
            It leaves we wondering where my parents got it, though, since neither
            of them have ever been in the army, and we usually don't shop at the
            Army Surplus stores or anything. Anyway, I'm glad to hear it will
            work out. I love the tent dearly, and have been just looking for an
            excuse to use it again (after we bought a newer, more portable nylon
            tent, we haven't been using it). Plus I was kinda looking at the
            whole making/buying a period tent with a bit of fear, i don't exactly
            have the funds to cover it right away.

            > You will see this sort of outfit very frequently at SCA events. I
            think,
            > personally, that it migrated there from Ren Faires, where it is a
            common outfit
            > for those portraying serving wenches at the food stalls and such.
            That
            > said, it truly is not an accurate costume for any time or culture
            during the SCA
            > period. SCA rules, however, only require an attempt at period
            costume, not
            > an accurate costume, so it is technically OK to wear such a costume
            at events.
            > The bodices commonly worn are in fact a foundation garment, like a
            modern
            > bra or girdle, and would have been under other clothing in most
            cases in
            > period. If you look at pictures of Elizabethan or Tudor women,
            notice the very
            > rigid shape of their clothes. That shape is created by the
            underpinnings, not
            > the clothes themselves, and one of those underpinnings is the
            bodice or pair
            > of bodies as it was called. The very decorative doublets/jackets
            worn by
            > these women are what would be worn over a bodice. There are also
            much less
            > decorative ones, but of similar cut, worn by merchant's wives and
            such.

            Alright, that's good to know. I'm currently planning an outfit with a
            bodice showing like that, and I think I'll still make it, since it
            will be my first real garb, and I like the look of a bodice. That
            clears up alot of my confussion, though.

            > <<Lastly, I've been trying to find information on clothing worn in
            what
            > is more recently Yugoslavia or Croatia, but was at that time (I
            > believe) a part of Hungary or Serbia. I haven't been able to find
            any
            > good links or pictures of this area, so if anyone has any resources
            or
            > advice, I'd be very greatful. >>
            >
            > There is a Slavic SCA group here on yahoogrooups; it's a special
            interest
            > group of Scadians who also have personas from that area. I'm sure
            they will be
            > very helpful.

            Thanks, I've already found it and have been looking through some of
            the links so far.