Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hello Everyone

  • Rebecca Egan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 19, 2005
      I would recommend that you do a search on the country
      of Moldova on the clothing thing. My best friend is
      there with the peace corps and they still do alot of
      traditional clothing there.

      Rebecca the Dark

      --- rushifa_asahoshi <rushifa_asahoshi@...>

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Hedwig
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 19, 2005
        I can suggest a Slavic interest group. I was researching a Bohemian persona
        for a while and this is an awesome group. They are very happy to share their
        information etc. Here is the link:
        Hope that helps you some,
        Hedwig

      • rushifa_asahoshi
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 19, 2005
          Thanks for the comments so far, I'm currently in the process of
          following some of your leads. I also looked through the backlogs
          more, and it seems my tent question was in fact actually answered, so
          never mind about that.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 20, 2005
            In a message dated 7/19/2005 10:46:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            rushifa_asahoshi@... writes:

            Welcome, Rushifa! What a lovely name!

            << I'm wondering about a particular tent I have,
            and whether or not it would fit in at a camping event. It is a large,
            four-cornered tent with a center poll, and it looks a great deal like
            a pavilion, only in the shape of a square instead of a cirlce. It is
            made of tough green canves, and it very reliable (my parents used it
            for years before I was born, and continued to use it when I was young)
            . I'm wondering if it would an alright tent to bring, or if I should
            just look in to sharing friend's tents until I have enough money to
            buy/make a good one of my own.>>

            There are no requirements for what sort of tent you may use at an event, and
            in fact many people use modern nylon tents. In some cases nylon tents may
            be set up only in a specific area, but in most cases all sorts of tents are
            intermixed. Your tent (is it one of the old 10 X 10 Army ones with the center
            pole that works like an umbrella, with "spokes" going out into the four
            corners of the tent? If so, my husband had one that we camped in at events before
            we were married.) would be excellent for use at events, cooler than nylon
            and looking more accurate.

            <<My second question is about costuming. I've seen a number of people
            at events or in pictures wearing a chemise, under skirt, over skirt,
            and bodice. I also read somewhere that a bodice is more like
            underwear, and would traditionally be worn with a jacket over it. So
            my question is whether an expossed bodice is appropriate or not, and
            if not, what kind of over jacket should I be looking into? >>

            You will see this sort of outfit very frequently at SCA events. I think,
            personally, that it migrated there from Ren Faires, where it is a common outfit
            for those portraying serving wenches at the food stalls and such. That
            said, it truly is not an accurate costume for any time or culture during the SCA
            period. SCA rules, however, only require an attempt at period costume, not
            an accurate costume, so it is technically OK to wear such a costume at events.
            The bodices commonly worn are in fact a foundation garment, like a modern
            bra or girdle, and would have been under other clothing in most cases in
            period. If you look at pictures of Elizabethan or Tudor women, notice the very
            rigid shape of their clothes. That shape is created by the underpinnings, not
            the clothes themselves, and one of those underpinnings is the bodice or pair
            of bodies as it was called. The very decorative doublets/jackets worn by
            these women are what would be worn over a bodice. There are also much less
            decorative ones, but of similar cut, worn by merchant's wives and such.

            <<Lastly, I've been trying to find information on clothing worn in what
            is more recently Yugoslavia or Croatia, but was at that time (I
            believe) a part of Hungary or Serbia. I haven't been able to find any
            good links or pictures of this area, so if anyone has any resources or
            advice, I'd be very greatful. >>

            There is a Slavic SCA group here on yahoogrooups; it's a special interest
            group of Scadians who also have personas from that area. I'm sure they will be
            very helpful.

            <<Sorry for taking up so much space, i hope that wasn't too exstensive
            or boring...anyway, everyone have a good day, I'm looking forward to
            getting to know everyone. >>

            Not at all. That's what this group is here for :-)

            Lancaster, PA

          • rushifa_asahoshi
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 20, 2005
              > Welcome, Rushifa! What a lovely name!

              Thank you for the warm welcome! The name Rushifa is actually the
              japanese pronunciantion of Lucifer, which is also a nickname of mine
              (Lucy=Luci=Lucifer, so my friend's logic went). I generally use
              Rushifa online because it's more unique than Lucifer, and that way I
              don't run the risk of accidentally offending anyone.

              > There are no requirements for what sort of tent you may use at an
              event, and
              > in fact many people use modern nylon tents. In some cases nylon
              tents may
              > be set up only in a specific area, but in most cases all sorts of
              tents are
              > intermixed. Your tent (is it one of the old 10 X 10 Army ones with
              the center
              > pole that works like an umbrella, with "spokes" going out into the
              four
              > corners of the tent? If so, my husband had one that we camped in
              at events before
              > we were married.) would be excellent for use at events, cooler than
              nylon
              > and looking more accurate.

              I think it is the Army you mentioned, it fits that discription well.
              It leaves we wondering where my parents got it, though, since neither
              of them have ever been in the army, and we usually don't shop at the
              Army Surplus stores or anything. Anyway, I'm glad to hear it will
              work out. I love the tent dearly, and have been just looking for an
              excuse to use it again (after we bought a newer, more portable nylon
              tent, we haven't been using it). Plus I was kinda looking at the
              whole making/buying a period tent with a bit of fear, i don't exactly
              have the funds to cover it right away.

              > You will see this sort of outfit very frequently at SCA events. I
              think,
              > personally, that it migrated there from Ren Faires, where it is a
              common outfit
              > for those portraying serving wenches at the food stalls and such.
              That
              > said, it truly is not an accurate costume for any time or culture
              during the SCA
              > period. SCA rules, however, only require an attempt at period
              costume, not
              > an accurate costume, so it is technically OK to wear such a costume
              at events.
              > The bodices commonly worn are in fact a foundation garment, like a
              modern
              > bra or girdle, and would have been under other clothing in most
              cases in
              > period. If you look at pictures of Elizabethan or Tudor women,
              notice the very
              > rigid shape of their clothes. That shape is created by the
              underpinnings, not
              > the clothes themselves, and one of those underpinnings is the
              bodice or pair
              > of bodies as it was called. The very decorative doublets/jackets
              worn by
              > these women are what would be worn over a bodice. There are also
              much less
              > decorative ones, but of similar cut, worn by merchant's wives and
              such.

              Alright, that's good to know. I'm currently planning an outfit with a
              bodice showing like that, and I think I'll still make it, since it
              will be my first real garb, and I like the look of a bodice. That
              clears up alot of my confussion, though.

              > <<Lastly, I've been trying to find information on clothing worn in
              what
              > is more recently Yugoslavia or Croatia, but was at that time (I
              > believe) a part of Hungary or Serbia. I haven't been able to find
              any
              > good links or pictures of this area, so if anyone has any resources
              or
              > advice, I'd be very greatful. >>
              >
              > There is a Slavic SCA group here on yahoogrooups; it's a special
              interest
              > group of Scadians who also have personas from that area. I'm sure
              they will be
              > very helpful.

              Thanks, I've already found it and have been looking through some of
              the links so far.