Hello Everyone

  • rushifa_asahoshi
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 19, 2005
      Greetings to everyone. My name is Lucy (or Rushifa, or Luci, or
      something else, if you're prefer), and I have been attending minor sca
      meetings with a friend for the last few months. We both currently
      live in An Tir, but will be moving at the end of the summer, when we
      go off to college.

      I was reading through my Known World Handbook this morning, being
      re-enthused for the Society, so I thought I look through the internet
      and see what groups I could find. This one seems perfect for a newbie
      like me, especually since I already have some questions.

      First, I looked through passed posts (and used the search engines),
      and I have a tent question which I don't think has been covered yet.
      if it has, forgive me. I'm wondering about a particular tent I have,
      and whether or not it would fit in at a camping event. It is a large,
      four-cornered tent with a center poll, and it looks a great deal like
      a pavilion, only in the shape of a square instead of a cirlce. It is
      made of tough green canves, and it very reliable (my parents used it
      for years before I was born, and continued to use it when I was young)
      . I'm wondering if it would an alright tent to bring, or if I should
      just look in to sharing friend's tents until I have enough money to
      buy/make a good one of my own.

      My second question is about costuming. I've seen a number of people
      at events or in pictures wearing a chemise, under skirt, over skirt,
      and bodice. I also read somewhere that a bodice is more like
      underwear, and would traditionally be worn with a jacket over it. So
      my question is whether an expossed bodice is appropriate or not, and
      if not, what kind of over jacket should I be looking into?

      Lastly, I've been trying to find information on clothing worn in what
      is more recently Yugoslavia or Croatia, but was at that time (I
      believe) a part of Hungary or Serbia. I haven't been able to find any
      good links or pictures of this area, so if anyone has any resources or
      advice, I'd be very greatful.

      Sorry for taking up so much space, i hope that wasn't too exstensive
      or boring...anyway, everyone have a good day, I'm looking forward to
      getting to know everyone.
    • Rebecca Egan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 19, 2005
        I would recommend that you do a search on the country
        of Moldova on the clothing thing. My best friend is
        there with the peace corps and they still do alot of
        traditional clothing there.

        Rebecca the Dark

        --- rushifa_asahoshi <rushifa_asahoshi@...>

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Hedwig
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 19, 2005
          I can suggest a Slavic interest group. I was researching a Bohemian persona
          for a while and this is an awesome group. They are very happy to share their
          information etc. Here is the link:
          Hope that helps you some,
          Hedwig

        • rushifa_asahoshi
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 19, 2005
            Thanks for the comments so far, I'm currently in the process of
            following some of your leads. I also looked through the backlogs
            more, and it seems my tent question was in fact actually answered, so
            never mind about that.
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 20, 2005
              In a message dated 7/19/2005 10:46:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              rushifa_asahoshi@... writes:

              Welcome, Rushifa! What a lovely name!

              << I'm wondering about a particular tent I have,
              and whether or not it would fit in at a camping event. It is a large,
              four-cornered tent with a center poll, and it looks a great deal like
              a pavilion, only in the shape of a square instead of a cirlce. It is
              made of tough green canves, and it very reliable (my parents used it
              for years before I was born, and continued to use it when I was young)
              . I'm wondering if it would an alright tent to bring, or if I should
              just look in to sharing friend's tents until I have enough money to
              buy/make a good one of my own.>>

              There are no requirements for what sort of tent you may use at an event, and
              in fact many people use modern nylon tents. In some cases nylon tents may
              be set up only in a specific area, but in most cases all sorts of tents are
              intermixed. Your tent (is it one of the old 10 X 10 Army ones with the center
              pole that works like an umbrella, with "spokes" going out into the four
              corners of the tent? If so, my husband had one that we camped in at events before
              we were married.) would be excellent for use at events, cooler than nylon
              and looking more accurate.

              <<My second question is about costuming. I've seen a number of people
              at events or in pictures wearing a chemise, under skirt, over skirt,
              and bodice. I also read somewhere that a bodice is more like
              underwear, and would traditionally be worn with a jacket over it. So
              my question is whether an expossed bodice is appropriate or not, and
              if not, what kind of over jacket should I be looking into? >>

              You will see this sort of outfit very frequently at SCA events. I think,
              personally, that it migrated there from Ren Faires, where it is a common outfit
              for those portraying serving wenches at the food stalls and such. That
              said, it truly is not an accurate costume for any time or culture during the SCA
              period. SCA rules, however, only require an attempt at period costume, not
              an accurate costume, so it is technically OK to wear such a costume at events.
              The bodices commonly worn are in fact a foundation garment, like a modern
              bra or girdle, and would have been under other clothing in most cases in
              period. If you look at pictures of Elizabethan or Tudor women, notice the very
              rigid shape of their clothes. That shape is created by the underpinnings, not
              the clothes themselves, and one of those underpinnings is the bodice or pair
              of bodies as it was called. The very decorative doublets/jackets worn by
              these women are what would be worn over a bodice. There are also much less
              decorative ones, but of similar cut, worn by merchant's wives and such.

              <<Lastly, I've been trying to find information on clothing worn in what
              is more recently Yugoslavia or Croatia, but was at that time (I
              believe) a part of Hungary or Serbia. I haven't been able to find any
              good links or pictures of this area, so if anyone has any resources or
              advice, I'd be very greatful. >>

              There is a Slavic SCA group here on yahoogrooups; it's a special interest
              group of Scadians who also have personas from that area. I'm sure they will be
              very helpful.

              <<Sorry for taking up so much space, i hope that wasn't too exstensive
              or boring...anyway, everyone have a good day, I'm looking forward to
              getting to know everyone. >>

              Not at all. That's what this group is here for :-)

              Lancaster, PA

            • rushifa_asahoshi
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 20, 2005
                > Welcome, Rushifa! What a lovely name!

                Thank you for the warm welcome! The name Rushifa is actually the
                japanese pronunciantion of Lucifer, which is also a nickname of mine
                (Lucy=Luci=Lucifer, so my friend's logic went). I generally use
                Rushifa online because it's more unique than Lucifer, and that way I
                don't run the risk of accidentally offending anyone.

                > There are no requirements for what sort of tent you may use at an
                event, and
                > in fact many people use modern nylon tents. In some cases nylon
                tents may
                > be set up only in a specific area, but in most cases all sorts of
                tents are
                > intermixed. Your tent (is it one of the old 10 X 10 Army ones with
                the center
                > pole that works like an umbrella, with "spokes" going out into the
                four
                > corners of the tent? If so, my husband had one that we camped in
                at events before
                > we were married.) would be excellent for use at events, cooler than
                nylon
                > and looking more accurate.

                I think it is the Army you mentioned, it fits that discription well.
                It leaves we wondering where my parents got it, though, since neither
                of them have ever been in the army, and we usually don't shop at the
                Army Surplus stores or anything. Anyway, I'm glad to hear it will
                work out. I love the tent dearly, and have been just looking for an
                excuse to use it again (after we bought a newer, more portable nylon
                tent, we haven't been using it). Plus I was kinda looking at the
                whole making/buying a period tent with a bit of fear, i don't exactly
                have the funds to cover it right away.

                > You will see this sort of outfit very frequently at SCA events. I
                think,
                > personally, that it migrated there from Ren Faires, where it is a
                common outfit
                > for those portraying serving wenches at the food stalls and such.
                That
                > said, it truly is not an accurate costume for any time or culture
                during the SCA
                > period. SCA rules, however, only require an attempt at period
                costume, not
                > an accurate costume, so it is technically OK to wear such a costume
                at events.
                > The bodices commonly worn are in fact a foundation garment, like a
                modern
                > bra or girdle, and would have been under other clothing in most
                cases in
                > period. If you look at pictures of Elizabethan or Tudor women,
                notice the very
                > rigid shape of their clothes. That shape is created by the
                underpinnings, not
                > the clothes themselves, and one of those underpinnings is the
                bodice or pair
                > of bodies as it was called. The very decorative doublets/jackets
                worn by
                > these women are what would be worn over a bodice. There are also
                much less
                > decorative ones, but of similar cut, worn by merchant's wives and
                such.

                Alright, that's good to know. I'm currently planning an outfit with a
                bodice showing like that, and I think I'll still make it, since it
                will be my first real garb, and I like the look of a bodice. That
                clears up alot of my confussion, though.

                > <<Lastly, I've been trying to find information on clothing worn in
                what
                > is more recently Yugoslavia or Croatia, but was at that time (I
                > believe) a part of Hungary or Serbia. I haven't been able to find
                any
                > good links or pictures of this area, so if anyone has any resources
                or
                > advice, I'd be very greatful. >>
                >
                > There is a Slavic SCA group here on yahoogrooups; it's a special
                interest
                > group of Scadians who also have personas from that area. I'm sure
                they will be
                > very helpful.

                Thanks, I've already found it and have been looking through some of
                the links so far.