Re: Dress Alteration question

  • Tricia
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2005
      I am also new to the SCA and looking at many patterns for Garb.
      I have found that most of them add a placket where the zipper would
      be add boning on both sides of the placket and run grommets for
      lacing or closely spaced buttons the length the zipper would be.

      The boning will help prevent pulling and gaping that can happen when
      you have buttons or lacing where fabric will be under pressure from
      normal movement bending etc...

      It seemed like an extra step to me but I am so glad I did it, my
      friend, whom I sew with, chose to skip the boning and there is a
      huge difference in the way the dress looks when we both wear them.
      we made the same dress and are about the same size so I attribute
      the better look to the boning.

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "lady_lane01"