where can i get steel

  • laxbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2005
      hi im from Seattle, WA (Barony of Madrone, AnTir)and ive been
      interested in joining the sca. i haven't made it to any activities or
      events, but i have started armoring. i've been making chainmail, but
      i'm looking to start plate, and i'm not sure where to look for
      materials. if anyone knows any places in the area or any online
      resources that'd be great. thanks :)

      yours in service Reinhard (maybe, considering a 14th centurty german
      personality) well thanks again
    • Tricia
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 22, 2005
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "laxbaron@a..." <laxbaron@a...>
        wrote:
        > hi im from Seattle, WA (Barony of Madrone, AnTir)and ive been
        > interested in joining the sca. i haven't made it to any activities
        or
        > events, but i have started armoring. i've been making chainmail, but
        > i'm looking to start plate, and i'm not sure where to look for
        > materials. if anyone knows any places in the area or any online
        > resources that'd be great. thanks :)
        >
        > yours in service Reinhard (maybe, considering a 14th centurty german
        > personality) well thanks again
        here are some sites that were sugested to me also a newbee
        http://arador.com/ has some links of interest and a decent list of
        plate armor merchants to look at for examples (
        if you don't want to just buy the armor):
        http://www.arador.com/links/index.html. I bought most of my armor at
        http://www.waldryk.com/. Their prices for Stainless are really good.
      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 22, 2005
          On Wednesday 22 June 2005 17:46, Tricia wrote:
          > and i'm not sure where to look for
          > > materials. if anyone knows any places in the area or any online
          > > resources that'd be great. thanks :)

          1. Local recyclers/junk dealers will usually sell you scrap steel for
          pennies-per-pound, stainless for a higher price. Scrap is just fine
          for armor, because what big industry calls "too small to be worth
          keeping" is often still quite large enough to cover your chest or back.

          2. Local sheet metal fabrication shops often have scrap that they will
          sell cheaply or even give away, if you can get them to think that what
          you're going to do with it is bizarre enough to pique their interest!
          (Ask me where I got most of the materials for *my* armor....{GRIN})

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 22, 2005
            On Wednesday 22 June 2005 17:46, Tricia wrote:
            > and i'm not sure where to look for
            > > materials. if anyone knows any places in the area or any online
            > > resources that'd be great. thanks :)

            P.S. -- For closed cell foam, camp sleeping pads (the cheap ones, that
            are usually bright blue, not the expensive but nice ThermaRest pads) are
            a good source. Also, local junk/surplus stores ("military surplus" stores
            usually also carry non-military stuff also) are a good source. Know the
            difference between closed cell and open cell, and be sure to buy the right
            kind. Open cell is the very-soft, squishy foam used for pillows and such.
            Closed cell is firmer, slightly rubbery, stuff used for the camp pads.
            Forget about Styrofoam (TM) or the so-called "memory foam" for armouring.

            keys fesswise reversed sable.